Champion Breeds: Bull Mastiff vs. Rhodesian Ridgeback || Akita vs. Siberian Husky

I know they're tough but interested in hearing temperament and sensitivity perspectives from dog owners. I've had my eye primarily on Bulls and Ridges for quite some time.I saw two bulls on a farm in Costa Rica and as they stared at the tour bus you could tell they knew they owned the territory for miles and miles.

Bull Mastiff
- known for pulling soliders off the battle field in old England and Spanish wars

Bulls:

Rhodesian Ridgeback - known as the Lion hunter. Used to chase and hunt lions in Africa.

I'm also interested in perspectives of those who've owned Akita's and how they potentially compare to Siberian Huskies from a work ethic standpoint.

Akita

Siberian Husky

Consider a Rottweiler. These are not mine in the pic...but I've had Rotts for years Best dogs ever... pm me.

^ I have considered Rotts they're magnificent creatures. My co-worker told me a story about his cousin coming over and his Rotts received him very well no issues. Soon after my co-worker had to make a quick run to the store and left his cousin at the house with the dogs. His cousin tried to go to his car for something and the dogs wouldn't let him out of the house. They blocked him in and growled. His cousin had to hurry back to the house. Apparently he trained them that way. Since the story I've heard of at least two other similar instances with this breed.

Will do. I'm still in the data gathering mode. I can't introduce new dogs right now but I'm planning ahead.

Side note: I hear Bull Mastiffs (not to be confused with Pit-Bulls) are the most bad ass of all breeds btw.
+1 on Rotties. I wouldn't want a breed with any more Mastiff in them than a Rott haha they are a loud, oafy, drooling mess sometimes! Fantastic breed, Rotts. Love them

It's all how you train them man. Mine right now is a huge marshmallow more likely to lick you to death than anything else. He's got a submissive personality though which does help. If you train your dog to be aggressive towards people you'd better stay on top of it or risk the consequences.

Mine sounds like a raging beast when people come to the door though, good deterrent. His bark has aftershock rumbles like thunder
^^ Exactly. I have a Rott and a Lab. My lab is a hunting/retriever for hunting and trained as such. My Rott is the best dog ever..hell of a deep bark and strong as a bull...great dog but he's racist...
My preference is a Rott.
These are my favorite large breed, Presa De Canarios
Attached Images File Type: jpg image.jpg (130.2 KB, 190 views)
^^^ I've always wanted a Presa...that's one hell of a dog.
Basically it comes down what do you want the dog to do. Akitas are pretty but require a strong master and really need to be socialized.

Bull Mastiffs are just huge. Just by size they scare the crap out of people. You really need to research the breeding, bad hips are a problem.

Rhodesian Ridgebacks need to be worked. They are a high energy working dog. It bored, they can become very destructive.

Huskys are good but its almost cruel to have them in Houston. The heat and humidity can lead to "hot spots."

I have seen a bunch of Rotts, good and bad. If raised right you will have a 100 lb lap dog.
I have a Rhodesian. He's a gentle beast that takes up half the couch but will try to sit on your lap like a Chihuahua. Loves the ladies and the ladies love him. Tolerant of children although I don't think he likes them too much. He gets that from his owner. Lol! It costs a small fortune to feed him but that's the case with any large breed dog. I have hardwood floors. When the door bell rings, all you hear is an echoing deep bark and nails going every which way as he tries to gain traction to race me to the front door. I had to move a bookcase because he would hit the wood running, slide and smash his ass against it knocking books, trophies and whatever else I had on the shelves to the floor. I thought he'd figure it out and slow his ass down but every damn time..

"ding dong"... Peel out... run, run, run.. oh shit, going too fast to turn the corner... sliiiiiidde... smash.. crash.. keep runnin... first to the front door.. yesssss!.. can't open it so I'll just stand here and bark until someone that can gets here.

I love that dog. 😆
Just look at my avitar and you'll know my preference. I have had three pit bulls and just love them. Rotts would be my second choice.
Dogs may be man's best friend, but not every breed is friendly with every man, which makes choosing a dog breed carefully important. In looking to find that perfect friend, prospective owners should consider different breeds' temperaments, sizes, and needs as well as their own ability to provide the best possible home and companion for the animal.Temperament characteristics to examine include:
  • Aggression and protectiveness
  • Energy, activity level, and playfulness
  • Intelligence
  • Loyalty
  • Sensitivity
  • Compatibility with other animals
While breeders and guide books can give a general overview of a particular breed's temperament and allow individuals to narrow their options, the best clue is to observe the breed itself: preferably the available puppies and their parents. Individual dogs can vary widely in their attitudes and behaviors, even within the same breed. The younger the puppies are, the more their temperaments can be molded by proper socialization and training.

The first consideration that most people evaluate when choosing a dog breed is general temperament. Some breeds, such as Golden Retrievers and Cocker Spaniels, are known to be more outgoing and friendly. Others, including the Bull Mastiff and Bull Terrier, are well known for their aggression. Which breed a family chooses depends on their needs: if they are looking for a guard dog or protective animal, a more aggressive breed may be suitable. If, on the other hand, they are interested in a family pet, more easygoing breeds are a better choice.

The next common consideration when choosing a dog breed is the animal's size. Naturally, larger breeds (Great Danes, German Shepards, Retrievers, etc.) require more space both inside the home and outside for exercise. Smaller dog breeds such as Chihuahuas, Maltese, or Toy Poodles are more suitable for smaller environments including apartments, senior care centers, or mobile homes.

All dogs, no matter what their size, temperament, or breed, require a multitude of supplies, including:
  • Beds or bedding
  • Toys for inside and outside
  • Collar and leash
  • Periodic vaccinations and other health care
  • Food and water bowls
  • Food and treats
  • Grooming supplies
  • Crates for traveling
Other potential costs include boarding fees, professional grooming, and licenses. Larger dog breeds may have greater food expenses and certain breeds may require more extensive medical care: potential owners must take into consideration all the animal's needs and gauge their financial commitment before choosing a specific breed.

Before choosing a dog breed, a family must consider its human members. Small children do not make good companions to small dogs, which they may see as toys and could inadvertently harm. Some dog breeds are excessively loyal or protective and will not do well with a very socially active family: constant intrusions from strangers would frighten and stress the dog.
Cats rule!

Dogs may be man's best friend, but not every breed is friendly with every man, which makes choosing a dog breed carefully important. In looking to find that perfect friend, prospective owners should consider different breeds' temperaments, sizes, and needs as well as their own ability to provide the best possible home and companion for the animal.Temperament characteristics to examine include:
  • Aggression and protectiveness
  • Energy, activity level, and playfulness
  • Intelligence
  • Loyalty
  • Sensitivity
  • Compatibility with other animals
While breeders and guide books can give a general overview of a particular breed's temperament and allow individuals to narrow their options, the best clue is to observe the breed itself: preferably the available puppies and their parents. Individual dogs can vary widely in their attitudes and behaviors, even within the same breed. The younger the puppies are, the more their temperaments can be molded by proper socialization and training.

The first consideration that most people evaluate when choosing a dog breed is general temperament. Some breeds, such as Golden Retrievers and Cocker Spaniels, are known to be more outgoing and friendly. Others, including the Bull Mastiff and Bull Terrier, are well known for their aggression. Which breed a family chooses depends on their needs: if they are looking for a guard dog or protective animal, a more aggressive breed may be suitable. If, on the other hand, they are interested in a family pet, more easygoing breeds are a better choice.

The next common consideration when choosing a dog breed is the animal's size. Naturally, larger breeds (Great Danes, German Shepards, Retrievers, etc.) require more space both inside the home and outside for exercise. Smaller dog breeds such as Chihuahuas, Maltese, or Toy Poodles are more suitable for smaller environments including apartments, senior care centers, or mobile homes.

All dogs, no matter what their size, temperament, or breed, require a multitude of supplies, including:
  • Beds or bedding
  • Toys for inside and outside
  • Collar and leash
  • Periodic vaccinations and other health care
  • Food and water bowls
  • Food and treats
  • Grooming supplies
  • Crates for traveling
  • Attention
  • Social interaction with other dogs and humans
Other potential costs include boarding fees, professional grooming, and licenses. Larger dog breeds may have greater food expenses and certain breeds may require more extensive medical care: potential owners must take into consideration all the animal's needs and gauge their financial commitment before choosing a specific breed.

Before choosing a dog breed, a family must consider its human members. Small children do not make good companions to small dogs, which they may see as toys and could inadvertently harm. Some dog breeds are excessively loyal or protective and will not do well with a very socially active family: constant intrusions from strangers would frighten and stress the dog. Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Seriously,
Dogs are pack animals.
I had an Akita/Husky mixed with some German Shepherd. Male and definitely an alpha. Hard headed like a motherfucker and a great escape artist and athletic as hell. Know why he escaped? He wasn't getting enough socialization even with two other dogs in the house. Started taking him to the dog park on a weekly basis and the escapes stopped.
My advice is if you are going to get a dog learn how to thinck like one. When a dog is causing problems you have to interact with them like another dog would to correct behaviors. That's how the Dog Whisperer does it and I've known some canine behavioral therapists that would tell you the same thing. Their perceptions of time, space, size, friends and foes are not human like and you'll never get them to think that way.
Also, Thundershirts are fucking awesome for a dog that is insecure.
^^^^ What he said about the Husky, and 3 sides mention of the heat here.
The Husky I had was a super hard head escape artist as well. That was her undoing ( hit by a car) I have never invested as much time in an animal as I did with her, to no avail.

My current dog is an American Bulldog, 120 lbs of pure love puppy ( at 4 years old now) adores children, and protects his turf like a soldier. He was fixed at 6 months, and very light shock collar training in the first year ( mainly tone only) he has never bitten anyone (yet) He has an excellent shit head detector.

The bulldog wears his feelings on his shoulder,so when scolded they are like little kids for an hour.

My bulldog is great company.