Time to stock up on hobby phones.

"A bipartisan pair of Senate leaders have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill aimed at stopping terrorist suspects such as the would-be Times Square bomber from hiding their identities by using prepaid cellphones to plot their attacks.

The legislation sponsored by Sen. Charles E. Schumer (D-N.Y.) and Sen. John Cornyn (R-Tex.) would require buyers to present identification when purchasing a prepaid cellphone and require phone companies to keep the information on file, as they do with users of landline phones and subscription-based cellphones. The proposal would require the carriers to retain the data for 18 months after the phone's deactivation."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
"A bipartisan pair of Senate leaders have introduced a first-of-its-kind bill aimed at stopping terrorist suspects... Originally Posted by armortib
This is strictly for your own safety.

Nothing to see here, move along.
I totally agree with NB
  • GP
  • 05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Of course, anything associated with Chuckie Schumer has to be good for us. [/SARCASM]
Was just wondering if anyone uses Skype as a hobby phone.
I played around with Skype in the past and it worked pretty good. All calls between PCs are free and if you pay a low subscription rate you can call all landlines and mobile lines and people can call you on Skype in the US and Canada. Your laptop can be your cell phone.

Seems like Skype would be ideal as a discreet hobby phone.
In order to fight international terrorism, we have to put up with a lot of inconveniences and even give up some personal liberties. Taking off one's shoes at airport security (required only by the U.S.) is a relatively minor thing, but it is the poster child of annoying measures that have dubious effectiveness.

I understand that cellphones can be used to trigger bombs. I also know that the bad guys can always get around this proposed rule by using fake IDs. I would hate to have to give up this last bastion of privacy for the hobbyist unless someone can prove that this is really going to make a difference.
To stock up on this type of phone may not be the answer. The next step I would think is to make the carriers stop letting a phone send or receive if no id on the user. Then you would have to give out the information wanted to use it. If you do not the phone would only work if you call 311, 411, and 911. And you can not turn off location of phone when calling 911 system. All X11 numbers are part of the 911 system. How many phones do you need to ask or tell your local goverment something.

I have used a cell to call X11 numbers. The owner of the phone name and other information comes up on the screen before they pick up. If the phone has no ID user. Then just like at the boarder, many more things asked before you get to why you called. Even now I would bet, the first time this type used to dial X11. Then you answer them what they ask. The phone now has a ID on the user.

When cells and 911 where new I called to report a wreak on the 590. The next time I call for one on 490, they all ready knew who I was. The two systems are much better now. And work with each other much better now. I still have that Cobra full 5 watt luggable antilog phone, next to a CB I never use. Any one know a carrier that will let you use a non-digital cell phone.

ps: caller ID was in use and working before it was a option for the public.

note: location: From how well the cell and towers pick up the singal of each other. Location of phone is reported. If calling the 911 system you can not turn this off. They got where with in 100 ft. Not as good as a GPS. If a GPS phone with in 10 ft. Current GPS's within a yard. All may be better now from the last time I looked in to this. Are military has it down to less than a inch. A GPS for a Car, Boat, or plane used by the public are regulated not to work this well. For reason we all understand.
In order to fight international terrorism, we have to put up with a lot of inconveniences and even give up some personal liberties. Taking off one's shoes at airport security (required only by the U.S.) is a relative minor thing, but it is the poster child of annoying measures that have dubious effectiveness.

I understand that cellphones can be used to trigger bombs. I also know that the bad guys can always get around this proposed rule by using fake IDs. I would hate to have to give up this last bastion of privacy for the hobbyist unless someone can prove that this is really going to make a difference. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
The government is capitalizing on fear to gain more and more control over its people. If the powers that be wanted Bin Laden they would have him. How convenient that taking away freedoms gets justified by the media but profiling doesn't. The laws have nothing to do with terrorism, other than using it as a scare tactic.
  • GP
  • 06-02-2010, 02:18 PM
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety. Originally Posted by Benjamin Franklin (1759)
Ben said it best!
Ben said it best! Originally Posted by GP
I concede to Ben, I guess tact isn't my strongpoint.
I guess tact isn't my strongpoint. Originally Posted by NYGman

Aren't tacts used on bulletin boards?