Insurance questions...

If this is not the correct place, I apologize...feel free to place in the appropriate spot...

I am looking to change my dad's insurance company (home & auto) as I have discovered that he is paying ENTIRELY too much!

I have only had one insurance company my entire adult life so I really don't know much about all the alternatives.

Progressive claims to be the best rates but I have heard their customer service stinks, etc, etc, etc.

I thought I would just ask her and get some personal opinions. Anyone care to give me an opinion or two? I appreciate ANY input at all.

Thanks in advance!
Go online and you can get quotes from several at one swoop. Have your dad's policies sitting there so you can copy coverages. You want to compare apples to apples.
Was he a military vet? If so maybe USAA.
Absolutely recommend USAA if he qualifies. I've had them forever and they've always treated me well. Otherwise, Consumer Reports used to rate insurance companies, but I haven't checked lately. I've also heard Amica is good, but don't have personal experience. Also, maybe check AAA.
I have really good rates for both from Liberty Mutual after my college alumni association arranged special rates for its members. If your dad is a college grad, check that route.
I have had real good luck the last few years with AAA for both home and auto. They make you join the auto club, but it still saves me money every year over what I was paying with the previous company. All the best...
V just sent you an E-mail ...Hope it helps ....T
Last year, I had some time on my hands so I decided to compare AAA auto insurance to GEICO, where I had been for 12 years. I took my GEICO policy with the explanation of coverages and asked line by line for a quote with the exact same coverages (of course without disclosing GEICO's pricing). The AAA quote was 21.9% less expensive! When I called GEICO to cancel, they of course inquired why. After I explained the reason, the rep told me that they had been losing many customers in Texas due to their pricing structure. YMMV, but it is time well spent to compare exact coverages.

Just an aside, I have heard several problems from friends trying to collect damages to their vehicles caused by drivers carrying policies bought from "Fred Loya Insurance". I think if you stay with nationally recognized insurers, the policies are in effect a commodity. The competition is more about customer service. JMHO.
I've used State Farm for many years. Not because they are better than any other, but because I enjoy a stellar driving record (knock on wood), they sent me a letter about 15 years ago stating that they would never cancel my policy for any reason, other than failure to pay premiums, or if I lost my driver license. That's a powerful incentive for me to stay. Of course the promise didn't include them not raising my rates if I start driving like I am constantly competing in a automobile destruction derby. Because I'm a "good" driver, my renewal rates are very competitive. From time to time I consider calling USAA, but just can't talk myself into give up that little written "contract" that I have with State Farm.

Here's something that might help. Prior to State Farm, I had used GEICO for many years - same good driving record. Opened up the mail one day, got my calculator out and found that they had raised my rates by 40 percent. Called. Found out that the insurance industry's trick is to stagger rate increases on different schedules than their competitors. GEICO hadn't raised rates in several years, and it simply was their turn. I cancelled on the spot, and other than smiling at the little gecko commercials haven't given them a second thought since. Point is - the rates you are quoted now may not last very long. I've also found that, just like your cable/internet/phone providers, the only way to save money is to bundle services. I absolutely hate that practice, but it is the way the World now is. As a result, State Farm also covers my home.

Shop around. If your father is a typical old man that drives conservatively (the fewer miles the better), preferably in a non-urban setting with a moderately valued car, and has good eyesight, his rate quotes should be modest from all insurers.
  • zebra
  • 01-28-2012, 07:23 PM
Call Al Boenker Ins., 817-306-2300, 6030 Jacksboro Hwy., Ft.Worth, 76135.

He'll compare your current (home/auto) policy against 15-20+ companies. I was with State Farm first, then switched to Progressive on my auto policy. He was able to save me right at $ 459.00 a year just on my auto insurance. The home policy I saved about $ 200.00 & change per year.
The AARP has had a long standing relationship with the Hartford for both auto and homeowners insurance. Again he would have to buy an AARP membership which is inexpensive.

Group coverage for various association members is becoming more common. Check with his bank or credit union to see what they might have available.

Thread moved to sandbox area.
Was he a military vet? If so maybe USAA. Originally Posted by steverino50
you forgot, he must be an officer

for which I am, and in the end I basically pay nothing for car insurance, I pay $100 a month but in December I get a check for $300-500 depending hurricanes and other damages then they match that in January to a savings account

Now my daughter, as a dependent use to get a very good rate (not as good as mine) but she said she switched to somebody because USAA had raised her rates

but still, it is rated as the the best
USAA has recently expanded eligibility to all veterans, and some family members I believe. No longer need to be brass.
WOW! WHAT RESPONSES!!!

Thank you ALL so very much! I have received many PMs as well. Ya'll are awesome!

With all these suggestions, I certainly have my work cut out for me.

gash, I have been with State Farm and got the same deal, 'we won't cancel you'. That is pretty cool.

Guess I'd better get started on my list so I can start calling tomorrow.

I appreciate you ALL very much!

--v