What would you do?

Hi fellow hobbyists:
Recently, I’ve seen a reputable provider and I was happy with her service. I’ve made all required donation and left on good terms with her. Almost a week after the encounter, she texted me to say that one of my bills was fake per her bank, and she demanded that I cashapp her within 3 hours for the amount of the fake bill to make it right, or else she would report me to P411. She said that she checked her records and that the bill is highly likely coming from me. I thought it was a scam so I called it BS as I’ve got all my bills from the bank ATMs. She called me a liar and accused me of short-changing her. told her to take her scam elsewhere and also reported her to P411. P411 won’t get involved as they’re not privy to any transactions between us.
I checked all my remaining bills and they’re all valid.
Anyway, I won’t be seeing her again. But what if it wasn’t a scam? Based on her many positive reviews and based on our interactions in person, she doesn’t seem like the type that would run a scam. She wasn’t certain that the bill was from me but said that it was a high probability. The bill could have been from me or from her pile. What would you do?
Keep ignoring the red flags and you'll soon find out.
You know for sure you didn't give her a fake bill, block move on and save yourself the additional grief.
Sounds like a scam to me, would ignore and block buy does the rest of us no good if you don’t say who it was
I would name names so we can avoid her as well, but that's just me.
Can she at least provide verification to you that the bill was counterfeit? If she could, I might be inclined to share some of the loss with her though it’s unlikely she can provide any proof that the bill came from you. But otherwise, it’s just an unsubstantiated allegation. Banks will typically contact the Secret Service or the Comptroller of Currency if they get a bad bill. Or at least they’re supposed to.

I also have a less firm recollection that your bank will only reimburse you for a bad bill if you call it to their attention before you leave the bank. Not sure if that’s by law or just by practice.
Almost a week after the encounter makes it suspect and probably trying to scam you in paying for her extracurricular activities.

If it was like hours or a day after, then yeah, give her the benefit of the doubt she had a counterfeit bill.
1. It could indeed be a week depending on how often she deposits money
2. Does not have to be a scam. see #1
3. She is not sure it is you so more likely it is not
4. If she tried to deposit or spend the bill then by law the receiving party cannot give the bill back. Especially a bank. However, the bank should have been able to give a receipt. Or a copy of a police report.
5. once you left and the money could have been mingled with other money, you are no longer obligated to make good.
6. No bank ATM is going to give out counterfeit bills. The bank had too many safeguards for money to not be caught during deposit, must less given out.

I would tell her I am sorry to hear what happened. But as you received the money directly from an ATM, there is no way it can from you.

If she is not happy with that, block and move on
Can she at least provide verification to you that the bill was counterfeit? If she could, I might be inclined to share some of the loss with her though it’s unlikely she can provide any proof that the bill came from you. But otherwise, it’s just an unsubstantiated allegation. Banks will typically contact the Secret Service or the Comptroller of Currency if they get a bad bill. Or at least they’re supposed to.

I also have a less firm recollection that your bank will only reimburse you for a bad bill if you call it to their attention before you leave the bank. Not sure if that’s by law or just by practice. Originally Posted by TexTushHog
She sent me a photo of the bill. I don’t even know if the bill in the photo is real or fake either. She didn’t send a bank receipt of the fake bill. Thanks!
Thank you all for your inputs. Thanks!
1. It could indeed be a week depending on how often she deposits money
2. Does not have to be a scam. see #1
3. She is not sure it is you so more likely it is not
4. If she tried to deposit or spend the bill then by law the receiving party cannot give the bill back. Especially a bank. However, the bank should have been able to give a receipt. Or a copy of a police report.
5. once you left and the money could have been mingled with other money, you are no longer obligated to make good.
6. No bank ATM is going to give out counterfeit bills. The bank had too many safeguards for money to not be caught during deposit, must less given out.

I would tell her I am sorry to hear what happened. But as you received the money directly from an ATM, there is no way it can from you.

If she is not happy with that, block and move on Originally Posted by oldbutstillgoing
Thanks for the wise and logical explanation. I wish I am more analytical and calmly reacted the way you just did. My first response to her was calling it BS right away.
[QUOTE=BigOffshoreDaddy;1063483 202]I would name names so we can avoid her as well, but that's just me.[/QUOT

I would if I am certain that it was a scam. She has mostly good reviews and no complaints about anything shady so I won’t do that.
she checked her records Originally Posted by Tnt3219
This part concerns me, you’re in her records. I would block and move on, she prob did this to 15 other guys that day.
If she only saw you(OP) that day I can see it happening if it was fake
bill , but who knows where that bill or if it was fake came from.

Heck I would have no cule who gave we what bills, only way would to put handle name on the envelope if you used one.

And I don't like when my name on envelope when given one!
Name her. This accusation of hers sounds flimsy at best. She's pretty sure it was you? WTF is that? Seriously, name her.
[QUOTE=Tnt3219;1063484042]
I would name names so we can avoid her as well, but that's just me.[/QUOT

I would if I am certain that it was a scam. She has mostly good reviews and no complaints about anything shady so I won’t do that. Originally Posted by BigOffshoreDaddy
Its quite likely it's not. People dealing in cash receive counterfeit money at some point. Heck, I have at my garage sale. She may very well have received a bogus bill, but not noticed until she tried to deposit it. Her problem is if she had other bills of the same denomination that she mixed them with, then there is no way to know for sure where it came from.

She may be fishing or not no way to tell. Go with what you think is right.

But for future reference, don't post this kind of stuff here unless you give all the details, including her name. This story, while regrettable for you, does nothing to help others decide if they should interact with this provider. And that is the bottom line for this site.