To lobby or not to lobby in the hobby

I know this has been discussed before in other areas of Eccie....

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=643255&highli ght=lobby

When I did a search for this topic I could not find anything specifically pertaining to Upstate NY, which obviously is my main interest. While planning my future trip, I was speaking with a very helpful gent. He suggested a few places to stay, and I asked him if any of these choices had direct access because I know how guys feel about walking through lobbies. He said he preferred to walk through a lobby, and when I asked him why, his response was interesting and thought provoking. He said that once inside the building, no one can see where he went. And that he is not afraid to walk through a hotel lobby -as long as you walk and act as if you belong there, the staff will never take any notice of you. People come and go through there all day. Then, you can make your way to the room and no one watching the building has any idea exactly where you went....

If, on the other hand, you chose a hotel like the Red Roof, where the room doors open to an exterior walkway, then anyone can be directly observed entering a specific room. Police routinely "stake out" such places, looking for trafficking, wanted men, people on the run, etc., not only hobbyists.

So this was his reasoning behind lobbies vs. direct access. I thought it was interesting and personally made sense to me. What do you guys prefer? Do you prefer to walk through a lobby or not? Do you think you actually have more privacy walking through a lobby, where many people walk through, or a direct access door easily viewed by the public?
  • Sam54
  • 01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Your timing is coincidentally scary Tatiana! I just had a review where I exited the motel room directly to the parking lot and saw a patrol car drive right by me as I was getting in mine. I prefer lobbies, like your friend says. I always dress to blend in, and most times carry an over night bag with me.
I concur I don't mind doing the lobby walk as stated above if you can blend in. I feel it is safer then the outdoors!!!
The Lobby is definately the way to go. The employees don't know who is who.....nor do they care. I think the overnight bag is a little paranoid.....but hey.....if you want to bring along stuff for the main event....you got it covered.
  • iggy
  • 01-17-2013, 01:37 PM
Definitely the lobby, I always have cell phone in hand and act like i am texting.

I also ask the lady where the elevators are left, right or straight ahead from desk so i dont have to look around for them.

Once bumped into friend going through the Lobby he was on his way out. Got frantic phone call later that evening. He was afraid i was going to mention seeing him. we talked about it, now we compare notes LOL.
I always have cell phone in hand and act like i am texting.
Originally Posted by iggy
  • MC
  • 01-17-2013, 02:08 PM
I also ask the lady where the elevators are left, right or straight ahead from desk so i dont have to look around for them. Originally Posted by iggy
That's the one thing that makes me nervous about lobbies, if I don't know where the elevators are in advance.

I agree though that it's easy to blend in in a lobby.
My 2 cents......Even though I tried to look like I knew where I was going and I had a reason for being there I never felt comfortable walking through lobbies in smaller hotels. I would much prefer walking through a lobby of a larger business class hotel where you can blend in with the traffic. To me either that or an outside entrance to an upscale residence suite hotel is ideal. I concur with the statement of a lower end Red Roof type of hotel with an outside entrance is the least preferred because of the reputation that these places have and the potential to be watched.
Your timing is coincidentally scary Tatiana! I just had a review where I exited the motel room directly to the parking lot and saw a patrol car drive right by me as I was getting in mine. I prefer lobbies, like your friend says. I always dress to blend in, and most times carry an over night bag with me. Originally Posted by Sam54
I guess this happens on a fairly often basis ^^^^^ That had to have made you feel uncomfortable to say the least!!
I always thought hobbyists preferred direct access rooms, but it seems they prefer lobbies....since you can sort of blend it better.
I have stayed in so many hotels over the past 20 years that nothing bothers me. Hell, I can even walk into a hotel that I have never set foot into before and locate the lobby restrooms without a second thought. Oh the skills I have ...
i dont like lobbys i have been told by alot of people that i look like a cop so i get the looks from people but it is what it is
As a provider once told me, there are usually security cameras in hotel hallways. If LE wanted to stake out those type of hotels, they can just as easily do so.

Having said that, I do prefer lobbies. Especially if the motel is near a major street and very visible.
I guess when I really think about it...walking through the lobby is probably better. You look like you belong and how will they know, as long as you don't draw attention to yourself. It's a hotel, people come and go constantly. Again, now that I think about it, probably safer than being let in a side door or pulling up to the room and having to knock.
But with me, I'm always paranoid before and after, so it usually doesn't matter, I'm semi-freaking out regardless lol
Go with a lobby Tatiana - preferably a Buffalo area lobby!
I have no problems going through the lobby for an appointment. I have also found, the higher end the hotel, the better it is for clients and providers as long as we are not dressed like trash, or coming across as presenting PT problems, or look like part of a gang.

At a very nice hotel I once went to visit a provider, and it had an open lobby and restaurant area, I was having a bite to eat and drink with a provider, and before I know it, there were two other providers I have not met yet sat down with us. Of course they texted my friend first. You could sort of tell they were providers, and did not draw any attention, and actually, I think we got better treatment, LOL. I think it just comes down to being respectful, and maintaining a but a class.

I honestly think there are more issues with lower end hotels, trying to pay attention who is going where, as they probably have issues with rooms getting trashed, and PT problems. I really don't like to visit a provider in a trashy place.

My recent BP tryout, the girl had me to park in the back, and she would go down and open the door to let me in, like that is not drawing attention??