How good are the TEXANS going to be? Houston my have something special?

Boy the TEXANS are sure doing well 3-1 and atop the
AFC SOUTH DIVISION.
What I've heard from reading the papers and watching TV is that the Texans still haven't hit there full potential.
That's unreal for a team who have the players they have and with Cushing coming back the defense may be something special to go along with a fantastic offense.
I think they will put it together and be unstoppable before the break and after.
Will they lose? maybe, they're capable of beating them selves as they did in the Cowboy game.
I'm heading to the game Sunday and hoping the Texans run the ball down the Giants throat it would help contain the Giants pass rush.
JUST POUND THAT ROCK.
Arian Foster carrying over a 6.0 per carry average and Slaton an over 5.0 per carry avearage is a tribute to how well the O-line is playing.
I agree, they could be pretty great. The depth is insane. When we have bench players step up when starters are hurt (or benched for missing team meetings... *cough*Foster*cough*), we'll be able to hang with most any team on our schedule. There are bound to be a few more slip-ups on the way, but I think we stand a really good chance of making a run into the play-offs. We still haven't played a perfect game, our secondary is as leaky as a sieve, injuries could devastate us if they come in the wrong places, etc., etc., etc.

But the potential is very exciting. I haven't been this pumped about a Houston football teams since '92 and we all remember how that season ended... "The Comeback". (For the record, Don Beebe was out-of-bounds! We were robbed!!)
I see them losing only to: Jets, Indianapolis, and jacksonville all away games.
I have to agree with Ender. I also haven't been this pumped about Houston football in many years. Glad they are finally playing as a team, instead of guys who were just thrown together.

Injuries could definitely hurt us, but that's true on many teams.

Go Texans!
  • Trey
  • 10-06-2010, 12:05 PM
I am hopeful this year. I remember when we got number one draft pick, that year I got 3rd row endzone tickets for 40 each and bought tailgate parking pass for 30 on eBay. Parked a carolla in a spot you could fit an rv. Don't think I can repeat that this year.
Defense is still a concern. Secondary in particular but they are doing some things to help stabilize it. They ran a zone package against Oakland and got away with it limiting their wide outs to just two completions. I'm sure that the Giants will be prepared if they try that with them. I know they got 4 sacks but they were coverage sacks for the most part. The pass rush has got to be more effective.
Getting Cushing back should be huge. They really need to get a quick lead and force Manning to beat them. If the Giants get a lead and start pounding away and hitting the underneath routes it could be a long day.
Getting Cushing back should be huge. Originally Posted by boardman
We'll see. Being off the PEDs may have him a step or two slower, hitting softer, etc. I hope he's still in '09 form, but will reserve my judgment. Besides, he's a more of a run-stuffer. I don't recall him being particularly strong in coverage and we've been susceptible to short, underneath passes, esp. to tight ends.

I think Nolan at FS is a step in the right direction. Lest we forget, the Texans were in love with him before he broke his arm last year and Wilson isn't exactly a lock-down FS. My worry is health at wideout and tight end. Daniels hasn't looked healthy, now Johnson and Jones are both hurt, and after Walters and Dressen our depth there isn't exactly stellar. We can't ride Foster and Slaton the whole way...
I'm not as worried about our depth at wr as I am at cb. Our secondary needs something to keep speed contained. We got nobody to match up against a Braylon Edwards or a Randy Moss. But we have a guy sitting on the bench as a rookie that could be the next Andre Johnson! Wait and see! Dorin Dickerson is gonna light it up!
Defense is still a concern. Secondary in particular but they are doing some things to help stabilize it. ... The pass rush has got to be more effective. Originally Posted by boardman
I agree. Offense looks solid. Production didn't drop off much despite our best receiver being out with injury, and our best rusher missing most of the first half as a punishment for breaking team rules. That's significant. Arian Foster has been a huge addition to the team... having a solid running game opens up the field for passing (the safeties can't just sit back and play center field) and I think it's the key to our success.

Defense looks pretty good. Mario is having a good year, but we need one other lineman to step up and create serious havoc. Linebackers are solid. With Cushing's return, I think we've got the best linebacking corps in the league. Defensive backfield is the big question mark at this point, but they're coming along.

Player of the year so far is the unheralded Vonta Leach. He's been the guy making key blocks to spring Foster, and he's also solid at pass protection.
I don't want to take anything away from Arian Foster but he is running in the same system that made stars out of Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Clinton Portis, etc. The credit goes as much to the O-line for figuring it out and the coaching staff for finding that one cut, north and south, kind of RB. Even Slaton is more north and south now which leads me to believe that the entire backfield buys into the system.
Leach has been a monster and is showing nice ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. Just like a running game ties up the safeties, having a FB and TE that can block and catch is a nightmare for LB's.
Rick Smith isn't sitting around patting himself on the back either. They signed another corner last week and a DE today, reportedly.
Kudos to the entire organization for building a "team" with solid guys too. They have tried to be the class of the NFL since day 1 and hopefully that will start paying off.
The AFC is shaping up pretty nice I see Houston Texans and Pittsburgh. Steelers and Ny Jets making playoffs
With the Colts and Ravens as Wildcards.
I know I know it's early and like some guy's have written on this thread I feel pretty up beat about this year's team.
The secondary will get better as the season progresses
The Texans are good enough to make the conference championship game. Whether or not we can beat either the Steelers or Ravens is another matter.
The Texans are good enough to make the conference championship game. Whether or not we can beat either the Steelers or Ravens is another matter. Originally Posted by BigLouie
The Texans can beat the Ravens I don't know about the Steelers they'rs good.
A team can get its ducks in a row, but success deep into the playoffs depends as much on being free of key injuries and getting some lucky breaks as anything else.

We'll just have to keep watching and see how things go.
The offense has it.... the defense is the big question mark..... If the defense comes together and the offense stays healthy, they will be something special. Foster and blocking has been a godsend.