Sen Manchin is a true American

He is breaking with his party to vote yes on Kavanaugh, it appears.
He saw the red wave coming and decided to do the right thing.
He saw the red wave coming and decided to do the right thing. Originally Posted by winn dixie

He saw the tide turning and the overwhelming public support for the Kavanaugh nomination in his home state and decided to do what was politically expedient. He would have been very foolish to oppose this nomination.

He probably now wins re-election although I'm still hopeful that Morrisey can pull off an upset win. Had he voted no on the Kavanaugh nomination, he would have been toast.
Ok but wtf happened to Sen. Murkowski? Why is she voting no?
Ok but wtf happened to Sen. Murkowski? Why is she voting no? Originally Posted by lustylad
I understand this ! But let's all wait till they actually vote tomorrow. A lot can happen and its not over till the votes are in..
I for one do not trust the current "head count".
I will be praying tonight for K.'s confirmation !
Good question. Apparently she is not afraid of being defeated in 2022. I hope that she is wrong and this no vote blows up in her face. Republicans need to find a strong candidate to oppose her in the 2022 primary race.
She is a Republican Senator from Alaska - a state where I always heard the men greatly outnumber the women - so I can't figure out what her political calculations might be.
Her father was a former Senator and Governor in Alaska, so she has strong political connections. She is more moderate now than she was when she was first elected back in 2002. Hopefully, the voters in Alaska have finally seen enough of her and will kick her out of the Senate
Ok but wtf happened to Sen. Murkowski? Why is she voting no? Originally Posted by lustylad
I just listened to Murkowski's speech before the Senate explaining her no vote.

As best I can tell, she believes the accusation alone and Judge Kavanaugh's extremely strong and passionate denial is enough to disqualify him from the Bench.
The Alaska Native Tribes strongly opposed this nomination. These groups are an important part of her base support in Alaska. This is probably her primary reason for opposing the nomination, regardless of what she says on the Senate floor. Let's hope she has miscalculated and she gets defeated. https://www.vox.com/2018/10/5/179424...alaska-natives
I just listened to Murkowski's speech before the Senate explaining her no vote.

As best I can tell, she believes the accusation alone and Judge Kavanaugh's extremely strong and passionate denial is enough to disqualify him from the Bench. Originally Posted by Jackie S

well. if it wasn't enough for the #metoo types where allegation alone is a convicted crime now you get convicted by merely defending yourself.

The Alaska Native Tribes strongly opposed this nomination. These groups are an important part of her base support in Alaska. This is probably her primary reason for opposing the nomination, regardless of what she says on the Senate floor. Let's hope she has miscalculated and she gets defeated. https://www.vox.com/2018/10/5/179424...alaska-natives Originally Posted by NiceGuy53

interesting. on the one hand she as all politicos do, need to pander to her voting base. this is a fundamental law of politics as sure as the Law of Gravity.

so what was the tribal native's beef over Kavanaugh?

Also this.

https://www.vox.com/2018/10/5/179424...alaska-natives

Apparently the Native Alaskans oppose Kavanaugh because of rulings he has made concerning the special rights for Indigenous People.

That is a legitimate reason being that the Native Alaskans are a large voting block.
well. if it wasn't enough for the #metoo types where allegation alone is a convicted crime now you get convicted by merely defending yourself.

Exactly! Since there is nothing that backs up these any of these allegations, it's now all about his temperament when defending himself against these ridiculous allegations.

interesting. on the one hand she as all politicos do, need to pander to her voting base. this is a fundamental law of politics as sure as the Law of Gravity.

so what was the tribal native's beef over Kavanaugh?

Jackie did a good job of summarizing their beef against Kavanaugh. If you have time, read the article. It will explain it in more detail.

Originally Posted by The_Waco_Kid
See my remarks above.
Senator Manchin, if handled correctly, could be flipped.

He is bound to know by now that the Democrats are the slugs of the political world.
Ok. i read that VOX article. while VOX slants hard left in my opinion they usually get the overall facts/timeline in the article. so you can "read past" the slant and know what happened.

the native's gripe about Kav's native land rights views and opinions are a legit concern, what's disturbing is the Alaska natives due to their land rights issues, seem willing to go with this "guilt by accusation only" thing to keep him off the Court.

as it turns out, Alaska has a double the national rate of sex assaults which i generally wasn't aware of. they also have a high alcoholic rate, in part in my opinion due to all-dry regions. people who live too remote will just homebrew/distill their own 1930's style hooch.

strange that Alaska while liberal on {forbidden topic} are so harsh on booze??

well if they vote DRY .. that's the law including homebrew beer/booze i guess