Folks, we're being trolled

While I know we are all used to jerks who stir up trouble on the boards, I am not sure many of the members understand trolling.

On other forums there are ID's set up just to play with the members. Many times they are second (or 10th) ID's of established members. Sometimes they take extreme positions they know are controversial. Others just make up a character to play on the boards they know will be annoying. Regardless, to them, they win when people respond to their posts. And the more people they hook with the bait, the more they enjoy it.

I noticed a few trolls on ASPD in the months before it died, and I've seen a few here in the last few days.

There is only one thing you can do when you see a troll, and that is ignore it. Please don't feed the trolls, it just encourages them.
Maybe we should out them?

Doesn't the board keep up with ISP's and how many accounts are being used from those? Guess I should ask that in the technical question forum.
There are some strange people just about everywhere you go.

I used to work with a loud character who always seemed to deliberately find little things solely to stir up trouble and resentment in the office.

One day, when he seemed to be having a rare lucid moment, I asked him why he did that.

"Oh, I just do it to be obnoxious" he told me very seriously.

Strange people abound and some of them just enjoy being obnoxious.
The main thing you can do is really just ignore them. On some non-hobby forums I just set them to ignore unless they are somewhat clever.

When you look at certain threads and reviews you can see they are just playing a role. I considered outing a couple I am sure of, but decided not to. Instead I just felt like maybe I should mention the phenomenon to some who maybe don't visit as many forums. It's hard not to rise to the bait (hence the name trolling) but that's the only effective way to deal with it. It's not fair to expect mods on such an active forum to differentiate trolls from people who are just clueless or contrarian.
Oh, Hon... I've noticed a Troll in the area!
Every time I see a Thread started by this one...I

LISTEN TO THE MAN!! DO NOT FEED THE DAMN TROLLS!

Ooooooh........drives me Frakkin' Nuts!!
Oooof.

~Kelly TNT
Originally Posted by cpi3000
Now thats a great pic....
I know this is going to sound silly, but how do you spot a troll? I want to make sure I don't get caught in a thread that could upset people. I have really enjoyed being on this board.
ftwranchman, you will know them when you see them. You are a nice calm non-offensive kinda guy. Just beware of VERY controversial posts that are just plain rude sounding and you should be fine!

I've made mistakes in the past by posting in response to them only to come back later and find the thread closed. No harm, no foul.
I wasn't a member of ASPD so whatever happened there, my names Bennitt and I aint in it! Although not new to forums I am new to ECCIE somewhat but I'm not here to cause trouble or discord among others.
After reading this kinda makes me nervous to post anymore for fear of being the troll...

When you look at certain threads and reviews you can see they are just playing a role. Originally Posted by sharktrager
I've only had one review and am still trying to get all the 'correct' info in it that is required to be a 'review'.

Every time I see a Thread started by this one...I
Originally Posted by Kelly TNT
Readers Digest likes my stuff....

ftwranchman, you will know them when you see them. You are a nice calm non-offensive kinda guy. Just beware of VERY controversial posts that are just plain rude sounding and you should be fine!

I've made mistakes in the past by posting in response to them only to come back later and find the thread closed. No harm, no foul. Originally Posted by vnurse
I think I am in the same boat with ftwranchman. There have been a couple of threads that fit the description outlined above that I have responded to, I will refrain from doing so in the future.
I promise you hon! You are just fine. It will come to you. You'll start reading through the different threads....and then, you'll start to notice a pattern. Someone familiar with posting habits that F up your Flow. Then you'll go...... !!

LOL....YOU ARE FINE. NO WORRIES.

Kisses to Your Business!

~Kelly TNT
There are 2 kinds of active trolls here.

The first exist just to stir shit. They will post only on topics guaranteed to be controversial and some even take opposite sides of an issue depending on what will draw more attention.

The others create an obviously phony board persona that is obviously going to be annoying. We're not talking a posting style, more One that's been real popular lately is someone who basically posts like English is a 3rd language, if that. Here they seem to specialize in reviews they know will annoy the guys who read them.

Also, be aware this is not the same as black knights. Those guys feel they add value to the community, and sometimes they do. Trolls don't add value, and that is not their goal.
I hate people who feed the trolls. On the other hand, if I were a troll, you wouldn't need to feed me. I could stay full just munching on the eye candy KellyTNT leaves lying around and she isn't the only one who's guilty of leaving "visible calories" just lying around within easy reach. Hell, even some of the avatars and a few of CPI's pictures sometimes cause weight gain.

Shark, please don't give away my other persona of the "sighted" StevieWonder.