Hobby Phone & Apps

Please forgive me as I have an old soul and technology does not interest me. However I am in the market for a new hobby phone. Is it possible if you had a phone that is out of contract with ATT or Verizon can it be converted to a go phone, change # or pay as you go? If so how would you go about doing something like that? I guess Im curious as to what some of you do for a hobby phone? . I know some of the ladies use apps that cover RW # but some you can only text and I would possibly be interested in that set up as well. So I'd like to hear your suggestions or thoughts if any of you would be willing to share.
I use textfree as well as sideline. Yes, it's simple. If the phone has no locks against it, you can activate it without tying a name to it
I'm a long time google voice user which allows for calls and text. I've played with textfree and Sideline and they seem to work well although I think Sideline's number expires if you don't use it for 30 days.
I use TextFree and sometimes have issues with call quality, but overall it's a decent app.
I got an app # with text now, works fine for text which most prefer. Calls, not so much unless your connected to Wi-Fi. And you being still Wett behind the ears and a youngster, you should know ALL this, lol. If us old bastards can figure it out all this new fangled tech, im sure youll do fine.
iPhone with sideline app works pretty good with voice and text. One device, 2 separate numbers. Divorced so no one snoops through my phone.
I am looking for an apps where I can text from my computer and receive text and photos. I don't mind having another number. If I need to make an appointment I can call from my hobby phone but I want to be able to text while setting at my computer without having to get my hobby phone. Any ideas for me? I read somewhere that you could not receive photos over textfree.
I am looking for an apps where I can text from my computer and receive text and photos. I don't mind having another number. If I need to make an appointment I can call from my hobby phone but I want to be able to text while setting at my computer without having to get my hobby phone. Any ideas for me? I read somewhere that you could not receive photos over textfree. Originally Posted by theotherguy1
Pinger (Textfree) allows this without having to download the app and I'm able to send and receive pics using both the web and app versions. Hope this helps!