Military coup in Turkey: Good news or bad?

The current leader of Turkey has been leaning towards the Muslim side of things but the military has traditionally been secular. These are not normal times. Turkey has had problems with Russia, the Kurds, the Syrians, and ISIS. If the military pulls these off are they still a member of NATO? Who will they decide is the threat to the region; the US or Russia.

Where is Secretary of State Clinton when we need her so badly?

Okay, I'm paying attention now.

Of course Turkey will remain in NATO, whatever happens!

The country used to have coups on a fairly regular basis until recent years. It was almost a cycle - the elected politicians would fuck things up, the military would intervene and take over to clean up the mess, then allow a return to democratic rule, after which the new politicians would proceed to fuck things up again, etc.

Erdogan broke the cycle. He was first elected in 2003 and gradually purged the military, replacing the upper echelons with those he thought he could trust. Given his increasing authoritarianism and inability to deal effectively with either ISIS, Syria or the Kurds, I'm not surprised the Turkish military is restive again. They view themselves as the protectors of Ataturk's legacy.
They are having immigration problems as well, and we need access on land and air to deal directly with the ISIL/ISIS issue in Eastern Syria and Western Iraq.
Where is Secretary of State Clinton when we need her so badly? Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Setting up the "Lincoln Room Rental Agency"!
They are having immigration problems as well, and we need access on land and air to deal directly with the ISIL/ISIS issue in Eastern Syria and Western Iraq. Originally Posted by LexusLover
NATO has maintained a huge airbase at Incirlik for decades. A year ago, Erdogan finally gave us permission to use it for flying sorties against ISIS. Then he showed more interest in bombing some of the Kurds (our allies in northern Syria) than he did in destroying ISIS. After ISIS bombed the Istanbul airport 2 weeks ago, however, Erdogan has been forced to change his strategy.

He also struck a deal with Angela Merkel and the EU to do more to seal the Syrian border and stop the flow of immigrants into Europe in return for billions of Euros.

It's all a big clusterfuck and way beyond Odumbo's skill-set to deal with.
This is an ongoing saga, minute by minute. We are watching it unfold in real time.

I suspect The Military is sick of the Muslim Shit. They are sick of seeing their Country turned into a shit hole.

This mirrors what happened in Egypt with the Muslim Brotherhood. But this is not Egypt. I think the Military might have overplayed their hand.

But they better be right. If the Coup fails, they will all be dead within the week.
Ergodan says he stll in control, but the weird thing is he made that announcement thru skype via news broadcast on cell phone.

me thinks that he is not in control.

It does look like he didn't get all of the officers he thought he removed.
Looks like it's over.

I suspect the trials will be short. I wonder if the hangings will public?
At least they were Muzzies, eh, JDrunk?
Hillary's got this.
Naw... Let Drumpf ban them all!
Hillary's got this. Originally Posted by gnadfly
She's on a learning curve. How to deal with insurrections.
All those civilians with guns ran the army off.
So I've yet to see how HRC is part of this story, other tha. The fact the Besotted JDrunk chose to make it part.

Typical alky behavior.
All those civilians with guns ran the army off. Originally Posted by i'va biggen

Turks Lives Matter ... well ..... most of them. Only about a 100 died .....

... there will be some more after "due process"!

Or as Obaminable says ..... "executive order"!

Hillarious-No-More ... will just send an email!