R.I.P. Merle Haggard

Born and died on the same date 79 years apart.
Rest in Peace, Hag, we'll miss you.

https://youtu.be/w99UIu9N44w
It was so sad to hear he passed, and to do so on his birthday. :-(
greatest Country artist ever, IMO.. the whole package, voice, instrumentation, and (especially) songwriting.. I saw him less than a year ago with Willie and Kris at Winstar, and in 1998 at Billy Bob's the night he recorded the live album there (it's "killer", btw)..
I think its poetic to die on your birthday. He was one of the best.
I think its poetic to die on your birthday. He was one of the best. Originally Posted by Knight2554
Thomas Jefferson and Ho Chi Minh both died on the day of "liberation" for their respective Countries .. good company there..
Yep great man and musician is gone but hey if I can go out on my B-Day I think thats fine, you come into this world on that day and you leave this world on that day, something to be said for that. RIP Merle
I have to agree with you Chung, Merle was a whole package, singing, instrument, and songwriting. It is ashamed to see him pass, especially on his birthday...

What I must ask you Chung is did he show up on time at Winstar & in 1998 at Billybobs ?
Notorious for always showing up late if at all...
He was old, what did ya'll expect?
What I must ask you Chung is did he show up on time at Winstar & in 1998 at Billybobs ?
Notorious for always showing up late if at all... Originally Posted by debeter
he did, although I guess he had extra incentive.. at Winstar he opened with a few songs, before Kristofferson came onstage.. with 3 guys playing solo and together, I imagine the schedule was necessarily tight, no room for tardiness.

at Billy Bob's? as you know, I'm sure, club shows generally don't have a specific start time.. but since Merle was recording the "live" album, I'm sure the schedule was rigid then, too.. it was New Year's Eve, and he finished the set at Midnight.. he encored with "Auld Lang Syne", that song was left off the album, probably because it was "out of place" with the others, and was obviously unrehearsed.
Mamma Tried
a true legend...RIP!