We are in Need of your help Memphis & Nashville !!!

Hey Memphis & Nashville Gents,

Iris and Ahlure are headed your way... We are wondering what should we pack in our bags that you might enjoy seeing us in? Also what area should we stay in? What are some good places to eat at? Please be discreet and send info and Request via PM or P411. Thank you for all your help. We shall see you soon.

If any thread I started was to get a sticky, it was this one:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=411920

Alas, 'twas not meant to be.
If any thread I started was to get a sticky, it was this one:

http://www.eccie.net/showthread.php?t=411920

Alas, 'twas not meant to be. Originally Posted by Satyrrical
Pity, it was a good thread (of course you had to post it right after I had to make myself scarce 'round these parts for a few months). We should lobby the mods to sticky it.

Though frankly, I have nothing but happy memories of that Holiday Inn at Poplar and 240. That's where my sadly-now-retired (apparently), forever-all-time-favorite Raquel Anderson would always book her incalls when she was in Memphis, and I remember many happy hours spent there in her arms... *sigh*...

I guess that distracted me from the shortcomings of the place. </threadjack>

Cheers,

bcg
Though frankly, I have nothing but happy memories of that Holiday Inn at Poplar and 240. That's where my sadly-now-retired (apparently), forever-all-time-favorite Raquel Anderson would always book her incalls when she was in Memphis, and I remember many happy hours spent there in her arms... *sigh*...

I guess that distracted me from the shortcomings of the place. </threadjack>

Cheers,

bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Was in that area Sunday and saw the HI is now a Marriott. No idea if that will make it better or worse.
Was in that area Sunday and saw the HI is now a Marriott. No idea if that will make it better or worse. Originally Posted by Satyrrical
Has it opened, or is there Marriott signage on it preparatory to opening?

If it's a straight-up Marriott, based on my experience it'll be pricey but a true 3 to 4 star experience (they have a reputation to uphold). Ditto if it's a Courtyard by Marriott (which is aimed more at business travelers). Marriott also has a few down-scale brands that are quite acceptable lodgings, but at a much more reasonable price-point.

There may be a chance to get a good deal on rooms there a few weeks-months after it reopens, as it'll take a while to build up their business and they may offer room through Priceline or a similar service. Worth a shot, anyway...

Cheers,

bcg
Thank you for the great link to your thread it was very helpful. See yea soon.
bcg, there were several trash trailers in the parking lot so I would say it is not open yet. The HI marquee on the top of the building had been replaced with Marriott so it will be of the straight up Marriott line.
The Marriott perkins/amer way is a damn nice and greatly overlooked - hotel. A diamond sitting in the middle of poop.
The Marriott perkins/amer way is a damn nice and greatly overlooked - hotel. A diamond sitting in the middle of poop. Originally Posted by babee
Hmmmmmm... maybe they're planning to dump that property once the old HI property is up to their standards? Makes sense, given the neighborhood.

Cheers,

bcg
I'm drawing a blank...Where exactly is this HI/Marriott that you speak of? I know there's a Courtyard that's under construction over on Park, next to the hospital.
I'm drawing a blank...Where exactly is this HI/Marriott that you speak of? I know there's a Courtyard that's under construction over on Park, next to the hospital. Originally Posted by boomman98
The old HI is at Poplar and I-240. If you're traveling east or west on Poplar it's in that stretch where the driving lanes of Poplar literally curve around an "island", and the hotel is in the "island" (or median, if you prefer). To your left if you're headed east (the old HI is the first property you see once you've crossed over I-240); to your right (or, the last thing you see right before you cross over I-240) if you're headed west.

Cheers,

bcg
Was in that area Sunday and saw the HI is now a Marriott. No idea if that will make it better or worse. Originally Posted by Satyrrical
This hotel is part of my regular drive. It will be a Marriott, but is not open yet. It might be awhile.
I don't know if anyone addressed the place to eat question or not, but you can't make a trip to Memphis without stopping by Charles Vergos' Rendezvous for some fantastic ribs and/or BBQ.
I don't know if anyone addressed the place to eat question or not, but you can't make a trip to Memphis without stopping by Charles Vergos' Rendezvous for some fantastic ribs and/or BBQ. Originally Posted by willro
Oh dear... this has the potential to open up a huge can o'worms.

I've liked the Rendezvous's ribs well enough, and there does seem to be a Shelby County ordinance requiring locals to bring visitors there for their first visit to Memphis. Frankly, while the Rendezvous's ribs and 'cue are acceptable enough, I much prefer The Bar-B-Q Shop at 1782 Madison Avenue in Midtown. The judging panel of The Memphis Flyer (the local alternative fishwrap) appears to agree with me there; the last time they did a "Best Ribs in Memphis" and a "Best Barbecue in Memphis" feature, The Bar-B-Q Shop won top honors in both.

That being said, if you ask 10 randomly selected Memphians where the best 'cue is in the city, you'll probably get at least 6 different answers, and the odds are pretty good you might get 10 different answers.

One piece of advice: stay away from the barbecue at any of the tourist traps on Beale Street. It is a frequent lament of a local food blogger (Memphis Que, who is working his way through to eating the barbecue at every barbecue restaurant/joint/stand in Memphis), that visitors to Memphis who only eat the barbecue at the places on Beale (and a few other places downtown) will leave for home wondering why on Earth Memphis has a reputation for exceptional 'cue. If you want to sample the best 'cue Memphis has to offer, you have to get away from downtown.

I'll beat Dallas Rain to this: if you want to sample what is high in the running for The Best Fried Chicken On Earth, you have to haul your ass to Gus's Fried Chicken (a number of them all over the town). It bills itself as "World Famous", and that's not an idle boast...

Cheers,

bcg
BCG, I partly agree, because I like both Rendezvous and the Bar-B-Q Shop on Madison. As far as Beale street goes.... go for the drinks, but the food is almost always better elsewhere in the city.

[theadjack]Where have you been BCG, haven't seen you posting much in several weeks?[/threadjack]