Tiger Statues everywhere in Memphis.... WHY ????

We arrived in Memphis and as we are driving I see all these Tiger Statues placed everywhere. They are so pretty. Can someone please explain?
Thank you Memphis. We are glad to be here.

Iris
They are from a promotion that the University of Memphis "Tigers" did a few years ago to raise money for some programs. Comapnies sponsored tigers, artists decorated them and then inth end businesses bought them for display.
Wow that is a great way to promote and raise money for the college. Some of them are amazing. Thank you for the info. We will be taking a picture next to one and posting it soon.

Ahlure
bet that looks cool!

enjoy ladies!
Saw a lot of horses myself, around the germantown area.. Pretty patchwork ones, a solid gold.. lots of artsy stuff to take in!
It is very Cool. I saw a horse I think tonight in germantown but it was dark so I can't wait to see it tomorrow. Oh and yummy bbq time tomorrow too
Horses are the same idea. They were a fund raising activity for the Germantown Charity Horse Show a couple years ago.
They are from a promotion that the University of Memphis "Tigers" did a few years ago to raise money for some programs. Comapnies sponsored tigers, artists decorated them and then inth end businesses bought them for display. Originally Posted by memdal
Last year (2011) or the year before, in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the founding of the University of Memphis (founded 1911 as "West Tennessee Normal School"; 1925 became "West Tennessee State Teacher's College"; 1941 became "Memphis State College", 1957 became "Memphis State University"--many older Memphians still refer to it as "Memphis State"--and in 1994 it took its present name).

If you go up to one of the statues and look near the tiger's left front leg you should see a plaque telling you a bit about it (at least, I've seen them on the couple statues I've been able to inspect closehand).

Cheers,

bcg
It is very Cool. I saw a horse I think tonight in germantown but it was dark so I can't wait to see it tomorrow. Oh and yummy bbq time tomorrow too Originally Posted by Iris Reyna
Hey, by the way, there is a macaroni grill that intersects germantown rd.. Theres a very handsome 30 something man there, names Matthew..Looks like James Bond... HOT!!

Last year (2011) or the year before, in conjunction with the 100th anniversary of the founding of the University of Memphis (founded 1911 as "West Tennessee Normal School"; 1925 became "West Tennessee State Teacher's College"; 1941 became "Memphis State College", 1957 became "Memphis State University"--many older Memphians still refer to it as "Memphis State"--and in 1994 it took its present name).

If you go up to one of the statues and look near the tiger's left front leg you should see a plaque telling you a bit about it (at least, I've seen them on the couple statues I've been able to inspect closehand).

Cheers,

bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
Very cool!!! UGH! I can't wait to get back there! Soooo much left unseen.
Hey u! Don't be pawning out my bootie call missy!
Hey u! Don't be pawning out my bootie call missy! Originally Posted by Mina Parker
opps, sowwy, didn't know it was exclusive lol. Hot piece of ass like that should be shared!!
Hes a shy guy now! U can't go blasting him on this type of board lol
Hes a shy guy now! U can't go blasting him on this type of board lol Originally Posted by Mina Parker
oh, come on! I'm sure *any* man would be glad to get a visit from a girl like this!

Hell, maybe I'll stop in and say hello! I'll make that man a celebrity!
Ur awful!