Newt Gingrich in debate: I HAD TO GO TO GOD FOR FORGIVENESS

Does anyone really believe this shit?
Does anyone really believe this shit? Originally Posted by waverunner234
Believe what? That Newt said it or that he actually had to go to God for forgiveness?
He said it in the debate, but not because he was sorry, just because of the religeous people in Iowa.
Gingrich says whatever people tell him to say.. well as long as he's paid.
I think a candidate's relationship with God (or whoever) is theirs alone. Pandering to religious lobbies produces stupid statements like this. But there is a significant portion of the electorate that will only vote for a "Christian" candidate. Sad, but true.
I think a candidate's relationship with God (or whoever) is theirs alone. Pandering to religious lobbies produces stupid statements like this. But there is a significant portion of the electorate that will only vote for a "Christian" candidate. Sad, but true. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
This country has more to fear from people who would never vote for a Christian than from those who would only vote for a Christian.
This country has more to fear from people who would never vote for a Christian than from those who would only vote for a Christian. Originally Posted by joe bloe

2000 years of history would disagree.
2000 years of history would disagree. Originally Posted by budman33
How so?
Deaths over history: religious vs. nonreligous

I heard a while back that more people had died in the name of Jesus than in the name of Hitler. I’d always wondered if it was true, it seemed perfectly plausible given the persistence and viciousness of the Vatican during the Crusades. Unfortunately, I had found it difficult to find a number of deaths from the Crusades. But, I found in Google Answers, this webpage that chronicles numerous human conflicts and includes a category for religious conflicts. The numbers are hazy, of course, when we’re speaking about conflicts hundreds or thousands of years ago when death tallies were not a priority or of mild interest like they are today.
In short, 809 million people have died in religious wars. That’s nearly a billion people.
Oftentimes, a retort is that secular ideals and Godless Communism have killed many more. It is true that Stalin, among others, slaughtered his own people by the millions during the industrialization of Soviet Russia. By comparison, 209 million have died in the name of Communism. Some 62 million died during World War II, civilian and military, on all sides. Conclusively, more people have died in the name of religion than in the name of Communism or Hitler, or the two combined times two.

http://bookrate.wordpress.com/2006/0...s-nonreligous/