Bartering

How often do you barter? What do you normally barter for (i.e. Household Work, Medical, Car Repairs, or Etc.)?
You stole my idea!! See the "Specials" thread lol.
LR how does that conversation come up about batering? I'm just curious if the guy usually brings it up ?
Usually if he tells me what he does for a living, I make him an offer he can't refuse.

That was my Godfather voice.
The only thing I have ever bartered for is a fabulous pair of Sunglasses!
  • R.M.
  • 03-15-2011, 05:20 AM
I have been bartering for some time now . It is the best thing I have done.
It doesn't make sense to barter for something I can easily buy by myself. I can afford a lot with what I make in an hour or two. If I'm going to barter it would be for dental work (I have perfect teeth .. would like to keep it that way) or a luxury car. So ... Dentists and car salesmen hit me up!
It doesn't make sense to barter for something I can easily buy by myself. I can afford a lot with what I make in an hour or two. If I'm going to barter it would be for dental work (I have perfect teeth .. would like to keep it that way) or a luxury car. So ... Dentists and car salesmen hit me up! Originally Posted by Naomi4u
I agree 100%
I think the point being missed is that when you barter, you are NOT paying as much as you would coming out of pocket. You are getting the services at cost, not at retail value. Why pay $600 for Botox when the doc is giving it to you for $100...trust me, you come out ahead. Even with cars, you're not doing the dates on the sticker price, but on auction price....at least this is what my guys have always done. If it's something that does not include "manual labor" so to speak, they don't charge you for anything else.
I think the point being missed is that when you barter, you are NOT paying as much as you would coming out of pocket. You are getting the services at cost, not at retail value. Why pay $600 for Botox when the doc is giving it to you for $100...trust me, you come out ahead. Even with cars, you're not doing the dates on the sticker price, but on auction price....at least this is what my guys have always done. If it's something that does not include "manual labor" so to speak, they don't charge you for anything else. Originally Posted by London Rayne
..oOOh well now I understand. However, If I were to do it that way then it better be free.
I'm not going to screw his brains out and then pay $100 for it. Nope!
Ive never bartered but I wouldnt rule it out, especially if it were a maintanence issue. I'm bad at fixing things.
Naomi your looking at it wrong. Let's say you need a new tile floor in your bathroom. Just so happens one of your regulars owns a flooring business. He makes an offer where you pay for the tile at his cost and he covers the rest. Well his cost for tile is $200. The total retail job price is $1200. This to me would be a no brainer in trading services.
Naomi your looking at it wrong. Let's say you need a new tile floor in your bathroom. Just so happens one of your regulars owns a flooring business. He makes an offer where you pay for the tile at his cost and he covers the rest. Well his cost for tile is $200. The total retail job price is $1200. This to me would be a no brainer in trading services. Originally Posted by shorty
That makes sense. I guess because I've never really needed to.
It all depends on the dollar amount. Sometimes I rather just pay
cash for it and not have to "trade" services.
I do see your point on the dollar amount. If the amount in question is your hourly rate, then no I wouldn't barter for it.