You Wanted Police Brutality

I think they are being charged with "Suspicion of Irony."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dy2Y...layer_embedded

You know, when I was a kid, this was a free country.

Holy shit, that is just wrong.
There is something that this video does not indicate, there has to be something else involved here. But regardless, they were told to stop and didn't.
They were told to stop doing something they were perfectly allowed to do. There was no justification for what happened to them. They didn't stop when told, the same way that African Americans were told to disperse in the 1950's and did not. The way VietNam War protesters were told to disperse in the 1960's and did not. I'm sure they intended to be arrested to illustrate the injustice that is currently being perpetrated as law enforcement. We are slowly becoming a police state.
Actually, at the beginning of the video, the park police officer indicated that the dancing was a form of protest (paraphrasing). I believe, and please someone correct me if my understanding is incorrect, that protests or demonstrations in areas controlled by the National Park Service require some kind of a permit to hold their demonstration or protest, or those individuals are subject to detainment or arrest.

The park police did the right thing, contrary to what was stated. Had these people done their "dancing" outside of the Jefferson Memorial rotunda, they may have been left alone. But, because they did it inside the rotunda, it would have been considered disruptive and may have been viewed by some as disrespectful, which would have been the purpose of a protest. These people were given every opportunity to stop dancing. They were given an explanation that they would be arrested if they continued their dancing and be detained for up to the entire weekend. The park police did not raise their voices in anger, they did not use excessive force to restrain these people. There was no brutality - there was no injustice. The park police enforced the rules and regulations regarding the historical monuments and national parks of the US. These people have no one to blame but themselves.
Actually, at the beginning of the video, the park police officer indicated that the dancing was a form of protest (paraphrasing). I believe, and please someone correct me if my understanding is incorrect, that protests or demonstrations in areas controlled by the National Park Service require some kind of a permit to hold their demonstration or protest, or those individuals are subject to detainment or arrest. Originally Posted by fritz3552
Correct. The poster states they were demonstrating in the written explanation that accompanies the video. They didn't have their "paperwork" (and they knew it). Scroll down to view the Park Service application after clicking the link - the document is in .pdf format.

Kisses,

- Jackie
COG, how is this police brutality? Unwarranted...I agree, but not brutality. If you consider this police brutality, I seriously have to question whether you were ever a defense attorney as you claim. Unless you are considering representing yourself in court as being a defense attorney. I already think your history as an economics teacher has more to do with being a substitute teacher for a high school econ class.
LOL, KC, nice try. I believe in freedom. I'm sorry that the irony of being arrested for protesting at the Jefferson Memorial escapes you.

There is no doubt that these people wanted to be arrested. They knew they would be arrested. They did it to illustrate how the US is becoming a police state. Notice the cop refused to tell them what they were being charged with.

And on Memorial Day, I think of the heroic men and women who gave their lives so that Americans would be allowed to be "disrespectful" and "disruptive" so long as they are not hurting anyone.

Disrespect and disruptive activity ought not to be against the law in a free country so long as no one is being injured. Remember the guy standing in front of the tank in Tianamen Square? He was very disrespectful and disruptive, yet we cheered him.

This is an outrage. Plain and simple.
Oh, and KC, I never really taught in high school, but I did direct the band. Yes, it's true. LOL! Economics, Business Law and Accounting was at the University.

I escaped government work before I lost my love of liberty. Then 20 years practicing law. Now semi-retired, but broke so I still work when the rent is due.
LOL, KC, nice try. I believe in freedom. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Great. I was wondering who it was on this website that believes in freedom. I always heard people refer to this one person that believes in freedom. Thanks for clarifying that for all of us. Listen stupid, I said it was not brutality, but it was unwarranted. Quit with the selective reading.
activity ought not to be against the law in a free country so long as no one is being injured. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
What about the people who were there with their families on vacation and had to listen to these idots dancing and chanting, aren't they being hurt, not physically but by the fact the nice vacation they planned was disrupted by a bunch of idiots protesting illegally.
How come the Phelpses can cross their T's and dot their I's when they want to do one of their moron protests, but these flash dancers - who have popped up all over the place, often disrupting whatever setting they select - can't seem to muster up either the brains or the motivation to do the same?

No one said they can't have their silly little demonstration. They just have to follow the same requirements every other group out there has to follow.

Look around the country. Take note of the Phelpses, the Neonazis, the groups too numerous to count that show up at every DNC and RNC convention, who all gather and protest and parade and deliver their message without arrest. Free speech is very much alive and well in this country. Just because we have free speech doesn't mean it can't be orderly and organized.

These flash dancers aren't about free speech, they are about trying to make nuisances of themselves just to see how far they can push things. They went there specifically to get arrested, in order to make a point that doesn't need to be made. Well, if you show up and ask to be arrested, don't be shocked when your request is obliged.

Just my 0.02
Ok. Fine. I will exercise my freedom of thought to consider this an outrage. You are welcome to consider it however you want. Isn't that what today is all about?
Dude in the mirror shades was pretty cool but he should have kept his knees bent so he couldn't be thrown so easily.

How many last warnings did that guy shout? Lame. I thought I was going to see people tazered for being bad dancers (which I fully support) but instead I saw very little dancing and a lot of drama.
Ok. Fine. I will exercise my freedom of thought to consider this an outrage. You are welcome to consider it however you want. Isn't that what today is all about? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
No. Today is abbot honoring our military for their sacrifice. If you want to honor these idiots and their right to free expression, make "Bill of Rights" day your national holiday.