thoughts on gift certificates

I have had guys mention that is it easier for them to "hide" hobby money if they purchase gift cards along the way.

With Christmas coming up, how many providers and hobbyists are open to this idea?

Personally, I'm going to shop regardless, so I would entertain a wide assortment of store options to use for shopping or gifts themselves. Of course, the activation receipt would be necessary.

What do you think??
I'd be really careful whom I take a gift card payment from. Seems like it would be easy to load up a Walmart card with $300, get a reciept, buy $300 worth of stuff, take spent gift card and original reciept to pay provider. Unless you call it in and check or physically go to a store before the session, it'd be risky at best.

As I hobbyist this would be a bad idea for me too, since I could now effectively hobby on credit....scary LOL
I get gifts cards all of the time and there has been only one time that it was a problem and it wasn't the guy's fault. The Vanilla Visa card just didn't ring through or something.

And it took Vanilla Visa five days to credit the card. The card amount was for $300 and at the time, that was everything to me.

Otherwise, gift cards have always worked out just fine. I do check them when the friend gets there if I feel that I have to.

I like gift cards a lot. But they need to be either a generic Mastercard, Visa or American Express, or from a place that one can use, such as Target for me. That requirement could be different for anyone.

Elisabeth
I like gift cards a lot. But they need to be either a generic Mastercard, Visa or American Express, or from a place that one can use, such as Target for me. That requirement could be different for anyone. Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
i agree.
if i were going to take gift cards in exchange for consulting, it better be a generic Mastercard, Visa or American Express, . something that allows me to use it anywhere!! not to a specific company or website. true, i go to target, but i go to kroger, dinner, coffee shop more and would want the flexibility a pre-paid debit/credit card has.
i agree.
if i were going to take gift cards in exchange for consulting, it better be a generic Mastercard, Visa or American Express, . something that allows me to use it anywhere!! not to a specific company or website. true, i go to target, but i go to kroger, dinner, coffee shop more and would want the flexibility a pre-paid debit/credit card has. Originally Posted by pmdelites
Exactly. You can pay a bill with a gift MasterCard, etc. You cannot do that with a Target one. So at the end of the day, if gift cards are something that a lady will accept, try to keep it generic so she can use it to do her essentials needs, if necessary.
Unless you call it in and check or physically go to a store before the session, it'd be risky at best. Originally Posted by tmpcdn
Most cards have the 800 number on the back. It would be very easy and take not much time to verify the balance before the session started.

It's probably easier to do this with a repeat client, after a certain level of trust has bee achieved. But it never hurts to ask, especially if you're setting up the appointment a day or so in advance, so you have time to buy the cards.

Don't forget credit-card rebates as a source of gift cards. I have something like $500 coming via Chase Rewards, and I can choose to receive that via a multitude of cards, as well as a check.
Zoe, what about a gift certificate from Starbucks? lol
I love Gift Cards (as long as) it has been agreed upon beforehand. I've had guys compensate me with them in the past, and have not had any issues. Yes, there is a 1-800 number on the back. It's easy. I've added a list of places (on my website) that I gladly would accept. With Christmas around the corner, believe me, they WILL get used.

XoXo,
ItalianaPrincess
I LOVE gift cards!! They are perfect for those who can't just give you cash.
If a client offers me a gift card/pre paid debt etc i do check it before i start my session i always welcome those.