Who knows mechanic crap??

So this week has been thrilling to say the least, my head gasket blew and of course had to be towed and all to shop, lucky I pay extra on my insurance to get road side assistance, but it wouldn't pay for head gasket, pissed me off but OK, they charged me a Lil over 700$ to fix it, 743.27 to be exact, my dad said I got screwed but I feel pricing would be different everywhere.

Please tell me I didn't totally get fucked with no lube or payment haha( see there trying to make light of a bad situation) Lol
I guess since I already paid it, and in cash at that which hurt my soul lol i can't do anything about it but would just like some input.

On the bright side my cars up and running and I'm not stuck or out of a car so can't complain to much.

This would of been the time for a haggling situation Lol and me complaining of there rates
  • ztonk
  • 01-24-2016, 12:29 PM
Moved to the Sandbox since it's not hobby related.

ztonk
AustinModStaff
My experience with head gaskets is limited (but not non-existent). I'd say you got off light. In goodly number of cases, when the head gasket blows you can overheat and ruin the engine. I had that happen once - $2000 bill on that for a replacement used engine.

Sucks, but it is what it is - maybe someone could have done if for a bit cheaper (although it can be pretty labor intensive, depending on the make/model of car), but it really could have been a LOT worse.
Yeah. Also depends on what type of vehicle. Some are nightmares to change.
And as Luv stated, you could of caused major damage. Warping/cracking the head, etc.
Last one i had done cost me around 1000
Well I have a 2010 impala, my car didn't over heat, lucky I'm not totally ignorant with cars and knew something want right and smelled the burning.
Ugghh. I feel your pain. I was stranded for days at my place because my car overheated. It totally should have been covered under warranty but wasn't.

Thank God for good friends or I'd be fucked and not in the fun way. $600 bucks.

I need to marry a mechanic or just wrap myself in bubble wrap along with Shayla!
You did good that's not expensive at all for head gasket. Bad thing about head gaskets is if you don't find what caused it... well it can happen again. I try to find someone that will warranty it for a year.
I'd say that's a reasonable price. Every provider needs to find a skilled mechanic, household handyman, doctor, lawyer, etc., who will barter.
I would say you did OK for yourself. Long gone are the days of the $500 head gasket replacements. Take it from some one who has done the job a few times its a pain in the ass. The last head gasket i replaced was in a suburban with a 350. It was time consuming but not hard. Prior I replaced the head gasket in a old Cadillac with a 4.5 liter aluminum engine and it was a royal pain. $700.00 leads me to believe they charged 4 hours of labor plus the cost of the gasket which is very reasonable.
You got off with a good price.

Places wanted to charge me over $300 just to change out my spark plugs on my old 95 Z28. I just did it myself. Good old college days. I've also had to not only replace the head gaskets, but a head as well as I overheated the fucker and blew out the water jacket sidewall as well as a radiator hose. That was a fun night.

Now I'm on to better things. My precious '15 Challenger