Incall ideas

Becky,
Thanks for the open invitation to start new topics. I'm game!

I have a problem I would like some input on.

I am very low-volume and do more outcall than incall, so having a permanent incall location isn't an option. I just rent hotel rooms when needed. In addition, part of my marketing angle is that I come to the area convenient to the client.... "a moveable incall."

How can I avoid being stuck with an unused room when a client cancels? I get great rates going through Hotwire, but need to pre-book to do so. If he wants to meet in the morning, I need to check in the night before. So if he's meeting me at 11 a.m. and cancels at 8 a.m. or even the night before I am still stuck.

Here are some of my thoughts~~
***Charge a deposit when an incall is booked? I don't know how many hobbyists would do this, but possibly I have a good enough reputation for many of them to trust me.

***Charge a cancellation fee? If a hobbyist can't manage to get away to meet me for a pleasurable rendezvous, it's unlikey he can manage to meet me to pay a cancellation fee.

***Only offer incall to former friends? It's the new gentlemen who cancel most.

***Meet new friends at Executive Spa? It's not great because of the lack of beds, but I wouldn't need to pre-book or go through Hotwire in order to get a good price (I think it's about $40). I wouldn't pay for the room until my date showed up and met me in the parking lot. It's not the atmosphere I prefer but maybe ok for a first-time get together.

*** Just eat it as a cost of doing business?

*** Ask first-timers to pay higher fees so that I pay the higher hotel "walk in" rate right before the date? The last time I checked, the walk-in rate at a 2.5* hotel was $89 which just kills me knowing I could have gotten a 4* for half that and felt MUCH more comfortable and upscale.

Any thoughts?
It looks to me like you’ve already listed a decent set of options for a new customer to choose from.

He can pay a deposit up front (perhaps by PayPal?), or he can agree to pay a cancellation fee (PayPal also?) if he doesn’t show. If he doesn’t pay the cancellation fee, then I’d call that the “cost of doing business”. And I’d make a note of it in the PIE that he agreed to the fee and then refused to pay it. He also can choose to meet you at the spa or at a higher rate somewhere else.

Different customers will likely be most comfortable with different arrangements. And like you said, it’s not that big an issue for repeat customers.

You'll probably want detailed explanations on your website so that potential customers understand the available options without a slew of phone calls and/or e-mails.

RC
  • JRush
  • 03-28-2009, 11:27 AM
As a photographer I frequently experience the no-show client as well. I have my own studio so I'm not quite in the same boat. However, I often book a client wanting a makeup artist who charges $100. If the client doesn't show up, I feel obligated to pay the makeup artist for his wasted time. I just consider it a hazard of doing business. If I tried to "punish" the client by charging more the next time she would go elsewhere for her photos. I try to be as polite and understanding as I can an hope she reschedules. My fear is that she may feel so bad or embarrased to reschedule that I miss out on getting that new friend and client.

Don't know if this helps.
John
www.hottexasladies.com
I understand your frustrations on a No Show/No Cancel, but there are not many options for the provider in this situation. I see the following scenarios playing out:

• Trying to charge and collect will be difficult at best.
• Making client mad and you know they can place nasty things on the internet and it becomes a he says / she says and nobody wins.
• Charging a new client higher prices will probably lead to less activity with new clients
• And etc. This list is endless.

I really think you new to see exactly how much it is costing you, explain same day appointments are more money, and probably eat the rest. Unfortunately the males can have Plan B and C. Unfortunately the only thing you could do is black list the client and let other providers know what has happened to you. Many will probably not book with this client.
  • Casey
  • 03-28-2009, 06:54 PM
Have you tried finding a lady with a stable incall to use her place from time to time? Sometime easier and cheaper than a hotel for low volume providers.

Casey
Im fairly new... But question for me is....How would we collect a deposit or even the cancelling fee?
  • Casey
  • 03-29-2009, 08:39 AM
When I used to tour and I would accept money orders for pre paid appointments and they would send them to my PO Box. I never had any issues getting deposits and I still have monthly pre paid appointments even now. I have been a provider almost 12 years and independent in Dallas almost 9 years now. I have been able to prove to the gentlemen that I can be trusted with pre paid appointments.

Goodlookinhottie, being new I am not sure the guys will pre pay. Maybe you can offer a pre paid discount to encourage them.

Honey Rose, also if they want incall you could get the gentlemen to take care of the hotel. That way you aren't out any money if he doesn't show or has to cancel. Guess that really makes it an outcall again, LOL.

Casey
Thanks, everyone!

These responses are all helpful.

Casey, I love this idea! I have seen providers offering to share an incall from time to time but have never thought to rent it from her on a per diem basis.

John, I understand exactly; if I were to find another provider's incall I could rent as needed and told her I'd use it the next morning 10-11 and the client cancelled I would do exactly what you do: pay her anyway.

Rajun, I actually don't give all of those options (blush). I didn't think of offering an entire spectrum of options~~ I've just been picking and choosing ones to present and haven't been happy with all. I don't know if I want to put a set of rules up. It feels so negative. I don't do the FAQ page. I'll probably settle on finding another provider's incall and just paying her if the date falls through (even with notice...these are not generally NC/NS, but guys who cancel a few hours ahead of time.)

Control Freak, yes, the negativity is not something I want to deal with. Keeping things positive and happy is worth a certain cost. I don't want nasty things about me in locker rooms!

Good Lookin,
Many use Green Dot to collect deposits. I haven't had much luck collecting a cancellation fee. Sometimes I've said "I'm getting ready to book the non-refundable hotel; just wanted to confirm that we're still meeting today at 3:00", gotten a confirmation... followed by a cancellation and asked for the cancellation fee. Most of the time that's the last I hear from them. (I understand~this is supposed to be FUN not another obligation.) Occassionally someone will rebook and pay it at that time or he will reserve the room himself for our next date and I call it even.

I have NEVER put these gentlemen on a list of problem clients. It's not an alert-worthy action.