Who will replace Rick Barnes??

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...exas-longhorns

Early candidates are VCU's Chaka Smart and Wichita States's Gregg Marshall. It's being said by "sources" that both coaches are interested in the opening.

Gregg Marshall has put the baseball powerhouse, Wichita State on the college basketball map as well as Chaka Smart with VCU.

At 38, Smart may have the youthful drive to kickstart a Texas program that has become rather pedestrian of late.

sixx
Early canidates with good jobs/teams already. Its going to be hard either way because he will need to fundraise for a new gym..but they cant even fill the current one..
My dream candidate is Tom Izzo, but hardly any chance of that. The two you named would be great choices as would Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State.
Or for entertainment value, maybe they could get Bobby Knight.!
Early canidates with good jobs/teams already. Its going to be hard either way because he will need to fundraise for a new gym..but they cant even fill the current one.. Originally Posted by Congratulations
I love the Horns, but the fans are so fickle. It was hard to fill the Erwin Center even when Durant was playing. New arena and new coach, that makes sense to me.

My dream candidate is Tom Izzo, but hardly any chance of that. The two you named would be great choices as would Fred Hoiberg from Iowa State.
Or for entertainment value, maybe they could get Bobby Knight.! Originally Posted by chuckles
Good ole Izzo, the best college coach in my opinion. His teams are never out of it come tourney time. For more entertainment value, how about Larry Brown?? lol
  • Toyz
  • 03-29-2015, 10:09 AM
Chaka Smart...that guy really is special. His teams play smart, physical...he has natural charisma for recruiting...hes young enough to have the fire needed to turn a program around.

He would "fit" in Austin as well.
I keep hearing Chaka Smart. I must of been sleeping. And where does everybody see VCU as a great team? I'm not saying that Georgia State coach is a great fit but he sure is entertaining. They brought him on as commentator after the loss. I hope Patterson has been talking with a few people behind the scenes and he's not starting from scratch. I wish Rick the best. I've met him several times and he's a classy, personable guy. Yes, it was time to go.
Barnes already found a job. Announced he's the new coach at Tennessee. Good luck Rick. That program has sunk so low if he elevates it to where he left TX he will be a hero. He ought to be able to finish his career there. He's 60 now.
Looks like they found their replacement...

http://www.sbnation.com/college-bask...ach-per-report
So, now the UT men's coaching staff is Strong and Smart.
Isn't that an Oxymoron?