2nd Annual “Gardening in the Sandbox” Thread

Hey Everyone,

“Mary, Mary”, (For Plastic Man!) quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row. (We'll leave the pretty maids alone for now.)

This is a chance to share this season’s collective gardening experience.
  • What do you raise? Fruits? Vegetables? Flowers?
  • How’s your garden doing?
  • Do you have any experiences or tips to share?
We had quite a good time with this last year so I thought I'd give it another shot.

Thanks,
TD
a fucking deer is eating the dam peach tree.

where can I get

that is big enough to take a fucking deer
give it lead poisoning, .243 or 7mm should work fine...

where can I get

that is big enough to take a fucking deer Originally Posted by offshoredrilling

where can I get

that is big enough to take a fucking deer Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
I was gonna say,but deer ain't in season. Bow might be legal out your way.

As you already know, take pisses around the tree.

Or better yet (although a might gross or, if you will, a "pain in the ass"!) go find an all-you-can eat prime rib buffet; next morning line a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic garbage bag; take a nice shit on top of the bucket into the bag; spread the carnivorous, meat-eating excrement around the base of the peach tree. You might want to wear gloves for application!!!

When deer sense a meat-eater around they become frightened and will stay away.

They also sell granulated stuff at places like Country Max that gives off the odor of death and decay. It's not cheap though and needs to be applied quite regularly. So, you might rather spend the money on the buffet!!!
I like growing herbs. Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme. Can't find the one I really like tho.
Peppers too, Hungarian and bells.
Hey Everyone,

“Mary, Mary”, (For Plastic Man!) quite contrary,
How does your garden grow?
With silver bells, and cockle shells,
And pretty maids all in a row. (We'll leave the pretty maids alone for now.)

This is a chance to share this season’s collective gardening experience.
  • What do you raise? Fruits? Vegetables? Flowers?
  • How’s your garden doing?
  • Do you have any experiences or tips to share?
We had quite a good time with this last year so I thought I'd give it another shot.

Thanks,
TD Originally Posted by The Drummer
plastic man is growing ...bushels of ...jimmie rod!

...sweet
I like growing herbs. Basil, Oregano, Rosemary, Thyme. Can't find the one I really like tho.
Peppers too, Hungarian and bells. Originally Posted by Howdy Do Me
Nice, HDM.

A couple seasons ago I planted mint. Every year since, I've had to dig it back. Those bastards will take over the whole plot left to their own devices.

But the mint is good chopped into cold green beans mixed with oil and vinegar and a little dago seasoning. (That's where your herb garden would fit in nicely!)

I also give a lot of the mint away. Somehow this one person makes tea out of it and another concocts mixed drinks.

I also grow peppers -- bell and cayenne. The cayennes I pick; leave whole; dry out; fry with olive oil; dry out again until crunchy. They're great to eat with pasta or to use on sandwiches.
I was gonna say,but deer ain't in season. Bow might be legal out your way.

As you already know, take pisses around the tree.

Or better yet (although a might gross or, if you will, a "pain in the ass"!) go find an all-you-can eat prime rib buffet; next morning line a 5 gallon bucket with a plastic garbage bag; take a nice shit on top of the bucket into the bag; spread the carnivorous, meat-eating excrement around the base of the peach tree. You might want to wear gloves for application!!!

When deer sense a meat-eater around they become frightened and will stay away.

They also sell granulated stuff at places like Country Max that gives off the odor of death and decay. It's not cheap though and needs to be applied quite regularly. So, you might rather spend the money on the buffet!!! Originally Posted by The Drummer
ok buy a cheese burger & beer tonight, take a dump & wizz next to tree in the dark of the night. And hope I'm not the dumb ass to step in it.
ok buy a cheese burger & beer tonight, take a dump & wizz next to tree in the dark of the night. And hope I'm not the dumb ass to step in it. Originally Posted by offshoredrilling
Yea. That works too. Go take a shit by moonlight and you won't need the bucket. Kinda like cutting out the middle-man! Just watch for Poison Ivy!!!
Yea. That works too. Go take a shit by moonlight and you won't need the bucket. Kinda like cutting out the middle-man! Just watch for Poison Ivy!!! Originally Posted by The Drummer
did I ever tell the story did a gal under a apple tree. I was ok latter, but she had poison ivy marks where ever all my hands went. In the shape and size of my hands

nope I think that was on ASPD, not sure
does jimmie shit in the woods? ...the answer is ...yes
I have a few tomatoes already. Other than that everything is coming pretty slow, though one cucumber plant looks healthy. Im trying for some peppers, habanero, jalapeño, and bell, broccoli, green onions and beans, though some critter is eating my bean plants. For herbs I only bother with cilantro. I am aggravated I'm probably going to have to put up a critter fence, as the squirrels are one thing but this rabbit almost seems to be taunting me: 'Grow what you will bitch, it's mine.'

Interesting idea on the deer, Drummer. I wonder if that is a regional thing? I was just in a National Park and the deer didn't fear humans at all, I got within ten feet several times. But I didn't drop a deuce for them either.
Ya dig

Yes, those pesky creatures [ I do love them!] used to start sharp at 4:30 a.m. but now that parenthood has dulled some of their courtship ardor, the racket begins at 4:49 sharp. I time them to watch which one begins the day with the first tentative peep!

Soon, it will be time for the hummingbirds. The wild jewel weeds are a great draw for bumblebees and hummers, both. Are any of you interested in butterfly and hummer flowers?

Agastaches are fun to plant, but not all are reliably hardy. Mint hyssop is, A. foeniculum, and cheap to buy. A great favorite to many beings, including goldfinches. Other Agastache are magnets for butterflies, as are milkweeds which are cheap and hardy. Tickweed or coreopsis is hardy and beautiful and fun to grow in the broned and variegated colors. And of course, Lobelia cardinalis, its crimson a magnet for hummers. But it is not cheap unless you find some in plant sales. But hummers drink from all sorts of flowers and eat lots of insects in the bargain.

It is fun to plant some unusual but great tasting fruit trees. Cornell-Geneva has more than 2500 varieties of apples and 1500 varieties of cold-climate grapes plus many, many other fruit. I shall be delighted to recommend some of the less-common apple, pear, plum, and other fruit that will do extremely well in USDA Zones 5-3, and bring a lifetime of great fun and joy besides. Even a raspberry bush or two, a red currant, a thornless blackberry, all can lead to a lot of fulfillment. Apple trees can be as small as 5 feet tall, and as thin as a single branch and yet yield very heavily.

Have fun with gardening! Originally Posted by greenpeace2014
Hey JC,

I’m betting a woodchuck is the one messing with your bean plants. In my experience, they browse by eating the first true leaves off every freakin’ plant and biting off the top of each stem. They’re a pain in the rear end.

The plants will, however, recover and develop more than one main stem. But, they won’t mature as fast after the damage was inflicted.

As for the dear in the National Park: I’m wondering if they’ve become desensitized to human presence. Even in my neighborhood, once in a while, early in the morning, they come walking up the street – not a care in the world. But I’m wondering; if they smell a meat-eater around would they have a change of heart?

I have a few rabbits that visit – they’re my friends – because for some reason they don’t bother my garden. They only eat those leafy weeds that grow on the lawn. But, of course, I’m not growing any type of lettuce. I’m sure they’d hammer that!

Enjoy your garden.

TD