Are a few of the lower end hotels getting a face lift? Motel 6?

http://www.motel6.com

There is a conference that I was checking out that is in Florida and the site suggested staying in the Motel 6 close by.

Being an old time hotel snob, I nearly coughed when I read this but then, I went to the site.

It seems as if they're updating their rooms and they don't look bad! Plus, a couple of weeks ago, I actually went to an outcall to a Comfort Suites and well, it was actually very nice!

These hotels generally go WAY against the grain for me and I've probably missed out on a lot of business because I refuse to go to a Motel 6, or a Red Roof Inn, etc.

For those of you who travel a lot, are times changing for these lower end properties?

I'm curious!!!

Elisabeth
Yes, many of the Motel/Studio Six have received make overs recentily. Same thing with Comfort Suites They can be quite a suprise given their reb and peoples expectations. I think you may find a wide difference in quality of francise v company owned locations but the ones I have been to have been a great value for the couple of hours I needed to stay. Actualy, the Comfort Suites I have been to would be just fine for a longer stay.

But, if you are the one planning it out, Priceline can get you some great rooms at upscale hotels for close to the same prices.
Because of competition, many of the lower end properties are being forced to update and improve their properties. However, sometime it is difficult to determine if the subject property has been updated without seeing it. With the present state of the economy, more people are being forced to stay at the lower end causing the competition. Try to find reviews of the specific hotel you plan to stay at.
Honestly, I don't see myself having to do anything different than what I have been doing ... which is use priceline.com or hotwire.com for find affordable four star properties.

In Dallas, I have a nice incall and so I'm not worried about it that much.

BUT ... if the face of these lower properties are becoming cleaner and more decent, hence it's not such a crapshoot to actually visit these places, then I wish to know about it.

Also, thinking of a summer vacation where I might be driving through areas that don't offer very nice accommodations. It's advantageous to know that at least some of these properties are decent to stay in.

The video on the Motel 6 site really didn't look bad for the updated properties. This is more of a "snooze you can use" type of topic!!!

Elisabeth
They are very plain, few amenities. But clean and well maintained for the ones I have been in.
I'm waiting for the Palace Inn to be listed as a 3-star.

Earlier this year I spent a night at the Baymont Inn & Suites in Galveston, a large chain reserved through Priceline as a supposedly 2 & 1/2-star lodging. That place was a DUMP and located in a seedy area. The best dining establishment around was the Waffle House. Thankfully, I wasn't actually entertaining anyone there. It was booked through Priceline's "name your price" feature, which has now been discontinued, probably because it was unreliable. People had to prepay and then were stuck with whatever the system chose as long as the parameters selected were met, no refunds.

Previously I've stayed on the Island at the presentable Sheraton Four Points, a Priceline-rated 3 star, but that would be debatable in a more metropolitan location. For Mardi Gras I tried Priceline again and ended up at the Beachcomber Inn, same not-so-great-yuk area as the Baymont but at least cleaner, with friendlier, more helpful staff. Just FYI.

Perhaps I ought to reach deeper into my purse for the 4 stars in Galveston, but that get's pretty pricey for places like the San Luis and the Tremont House, and I think those are the only ones listed on the Seawall.
Nicole!!! Hey!!!

Priceline still has the "name your own price" function. Or at least it did last week!

I've had some real dicey experienced on priceline myself but also, some fabulous ones.

The worst? I still love Fort Worth and try to get out there. About four years ago, I tried for a three star hotel and got a 2 and 1/2 star off of Beach Street. Oh gosh... torn carpet.

BUGS in the room and worse. I was actually supposed to meet a new client there and did meet a familiar friend. He said that if he didn't know me from before, that he would have never seem me again after that hotel experience.

The other guy didn't come through for the appointment. A blessing.

On the other hand, I've gotten GORGEOUS properties for pretty cheap. Often, though, I haven't seen a consistency with the lower end properties - 3 stars and below- and I find that a little scary when booking for entertaining.

I've never been to a Palace Inn, though. Curious about that as well!

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Nothing wrong with Motel 6, look for newer properties in good areas of the city you are planning to visit. i stay at Motel 6 because they allow pets. The lower priced chains have good properties at low prices, but at times you find a dump that is not well taken care of. Report the dumpy hotels to the chain web sites, they will make things right for you usually with a free night or two.
I have done a lot of traveling as well as worked as security for a few conventions. And I have to say the two worst places I have stayed was a Day Inn near Daytona when I was bouncing around Florida, and it just needed a paint job. And one of the older "High-end" hotels in Boston, not the Copley, the other one down the street that looks like it (I forget the name ) One time as I was headed to Florida I spent 150ish for a Holiday in Express. It was nice, but I paid twice as much as I did for the Red Roof the before and it's only advantage was that it was bigger. It didn't even have a DVD player. So yeah, when I see a provider that only does outcalls to residences and high class hotels I just laugh. Hotels are just like any other business, they are only as good as the people running it. You could have a low end hotel that has service like a 5-star. Or a 5-star that is complete crap. The only way to tell is the neighborhood. And even that is not a gaurantee.
The "name your price" feature with priceline is alive and well.

I just used it about an hour ago.

After I was done with it, I got curious as to what the hotel normally charges, so i called them up and asked what it would cost for a room for tomorrow night.

Their regular rate was double what I paid with priceline

Their regular rate was double what I paid with priceline Originally Posted by happycamper
Yes, that is very true for the most part and sometimes you can get even more of a discount. Unless you land in a part of town in a city that is having some huge event. Then, the odds are not in your favor at all!

Thanks for the comments everyone! And the PM's!!!

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Yes the 2 1/2 star hotels are getting a face lift.

I am a 3 - 4 star gal, you can get them cheap on priceline.

Anywho, I was in a motel 6, in North Dakota and this place beat out the Holiday Inn. Only thing wrong with it was that it was tiny. And the price nearly knocked me off my feet, but I call it the upsell city, even a 1 star hotel is over a $100 bucks for a night.

Comfort suit have stepped up their game now........

But I like the 3-4 star hotels.......