Fixing the scratch on car scam?

So I was at Home Depot one day picking up some shit. A car with 2 guys drove by, the driver rolled down the window and asked me "hey you want the scratch on your car fixed? We can do it right here, fast and cheap" And then the passenger came down and driver waited in the car.

"How much?"
"You priced it somewhere else? What's the price you get?"
"What's your best price?"
"Errr... 150"
"Ok, where is your shop?"
"My shop is in Austin, but I can do it right here."
"What about matching color and stuff?"
"I read the color code from your door and all the tools are in the car. We can drive to whereever you want to to fix it."
"I am running around town today, you have a number?"
"Nope" and he walked off.

Is that some kind of a scam?
The fact that u r suspicious is enough. Anytime ur instincts tell u something, u do well to follow it.
  • Trey
  • 07-14-2013, 05:20 PM
Yes.

They tell you go shopping and when you come out it will be fixed. And then they take off with your cash. I get them trying that on me once a year or so.
I believe this goes in The Sandlot

More like a hustle....If they do a bad job , you can't really ever hear from them again. Like buying flowers from some guy on a traffic light to buying flowers in a flower shop......
  • Trey
  • 07-14-2013, 05:22 PM
Moved here....not hobby related.
If this isn't a very light surface scratch that can be buffed out with 15 minutes of elbow grease its def some sort or scam.
Scam or worse. He read the color code from your car...........meaning he opened your car door. Body shops often have a difficult time matching some colors. I've known one person who fell for the parking lot car repair scam. The car looked worse after the "repair". This is right up there with the "White Van Speaker Scam".
that's exactly what went through my mind besides others. you could just match the color of my car with whatever in your toolbox, are you fking kiddin' me?

Scam or worse. He read the color code from your car...........meaning he opened your car door. Body shops often have a difficult time matching some colors. I've known one person who fell for the parking lot car repair scam. The car looked worse after the "repair". This is right up there with the "White Van Speaker Scam". Originally Posted by lostincypress