Need Help Removing Virus

• BIG C
  • 04-16-2010, 01:04 PM
Apparently I visited one of those fucking sites that got Malware, Spyware, SpamBots and all other kinds of shit and now my 'puter is infected with it and my current virus definitions didn't work on removing them.....Anyone know where I can download a "FREE anti-virus program that can get rid of this shit (yeah, I'm a cheap bastard).....ARGH ! ! ! ! !
Google "AVG Free download". It is one of the better free ones... if you are still having issues after you do a full scan PM me and I'll see what I can do.

*note: I only provide free tech support to Mods and "business" partners so if you are not one of those don't ask...
You will need to go into Safe Mode as well. Avg can run in a dos prompt and I have used that to dis-infect a pc when Norton/Symantic and McAfee would not.
  • BIG C
  • 04-16-2010, 10:08 PM
I got it fixed and 'puter is clean.....Just FYI, DON'T GO WATCH THAT ERIN ANDREWS PEEPHOLE VIDEO.....That's where I got it from.....
Get ad-aware by lavasoft also.. Decent program . Avg and Avira are two of the best free av programs out there at the moment... Spybot s&d is pretty good also.
*note: I only provide free tech support to Mods and "business" partners so if you are not one of those don't ask... Originally Posted by Tempus
I love a job with perks
That's one of the reasons I stick with Macs now. They may not be malware proof, but they sure are safer than anything windows. 5 yrs now running OSX without any antivirus, no problems at all.
None that you know of
You should consider using a virtual machine to do your hobby related surfing in. That confines not only the history to a machine that can be deleted in a moment (keep a pristine backup handy of the virtual machine so you can revert to the original clean slate in a moment) but also keeps the host clean from malware, etc.
You should consider using a virtual machine to do your hobby related surfing in. That confines not only the history to a machine that can be deleted in a moment (keep a pristine backup handy of the virtual machine so you can revert to the original clean slate in a moment) but also keeps the host clean from malware, etc. Originally Posted by uca479
I would safely bet that a good number of the people on this board don't have the technical skills required set that up nor have any idea what you are talking about...

Feel free to help them set it up though.
I got it fixed and 'puter is clean.....Just FYI, DON'T GO WATCH THAT ERIN ANDREWS PEEPHOLE VIDEO.....That's where I got it from..... Originally Posted by BIG C
Did it just immediately infect your PC, or did it trick you into installing a codec or software upgrade or some such?
  • BIG C
  • 04-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Did it just immediately infect your PC, or did it trick you into installing a codec or software upgrade or some such? Originally Posted by GneissGuy
As soon as I clicked on the image to start the video it immediately infected my PC (and I knew right away that I was fucked and not in a carnal way).....I tried to run Norton to get rid of it, and I even tried to delete it off my harddrive but to no effect because Norton couldn't recognize it (and everything is updated) and deleting it off the harddrive didn't work because for some reason it was able to reinstall itself.....The kid that fixed it for me ran a program called "Cleanup Antivirus Uninstall/Removal" (the name of the Malware was called Cleanup Antivirus and it kept trying to get me to purchase stuff to get rid of bots/adware/spyware by sending in my cc info), and then he did a scan of my 'puter using Malwarebytes which found all the files that got infected and removed them.....Worked fine and have had no problems since then.....
I would safely bet that a good number of the people on this board don't have the technical skills required set that up nor have any idea what you are talking about...

Feel free to help them set it up though. Originally Posted by Tempus
Ok, so you're probably right. But, it really isn't all that difficult - it justs sounds complicated. I realize going into it on this thread would be off-topic, so I'll not digress. For those interested, just check out Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 (or built in to Windows 7 Professional & Ultimate).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Virtual_PC
As soon as I clicked on the image to start the video it immediately infected my PC (and I knew right away that I was fucked and not in a carnal way).....I tried to run Norton to get rid of it, and I even tried to delete it off my harddrive but to no effect because Norton couldn't recognize it (and everything is updated) and deleting it off the harddrive didn't work because for some reason it was able to reinstall itself.....The kid that fixed it for me ran a program called "Cleanup Antivirus Uninstall/Removal" (the name of the Malware was called Cleanup Antivirus and it kept trying to get me to purchase stuff to get rid of bots/adware/spyware by sending in my cc info), and then he did a scan of my 'puter using Malwarebytes which found all the files that got infected and removed them.....Worked fine and have had no problems since then..... Originally Posted by BIG C
Sounds offhand like one of the kajillion or so Vundo/Virtumonde variants. Glad you were able to get rid of it relatively easily; some versions are real sonsabitches to remove.

Cheers,

bcg

Feel free to help them set it up though. Originally Posted by Tempus
??

Been running Chrome OS on Virtual Box since Chrome Beta was released. All loaded on a handy dandy 8G USB drive.

If I can figure it out, 99.9% of the population can too.