A Thought Before I Retire

No, LOL! Not retire from the board. (Sorry to disappoint!) Retire as in heading off to sleep in preparation of a successful day tomorrow.

From President Calvin Coolidge:

"Perhaps one of the most important accomplishments of my administration has been minding my own business. Government shouldn't play a part in everyday life. Jefferson said that the people should be left to manage their own affairs. His opposition will bear careful analysis, and the country could stand a good deal more of its application. The trouble with us is we talk about Jefferson, but we do not follow him. In this theory that the people should manage their government, and not be managed by it, he was everlastingly right."

Seriously. A president who doesn't want to meddle in people's lives. What a concept!

You really know how to disappoint with a lead like that....
That would be nice, too bad we don't have anyone to vote for that embraces that concept.
Any recommendations on a great Coolidge biography ?

Anybody who talks about government the way Coolidge did, deserves more attention and understanding.....Coolidge is Cooool.
Calvin Coolidge became president in 1923, after president Warren G Harding died in office; Coolidge had been vice president. Like Romney, Coolidge had also been governor of Massachusetts and inherited a failing economy from Democrat president Woodrow Wilson. When the Harding-Coolidge administration took office in 1921, the unemployment rate was 20%. Harding cut taxes and slashed federal spending and the economy boomed. The average unemployment for the remainder of the twenties was 3.3%.
Any recommendations on a great Coolidge biography ?

Anybody who talks about government the way Coolidge did, deserves more attention and understanding.....Coolidge is Cooool. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Coolidge, An American Enigma by Robert Sobel

I also recommend:

Presidential Anecdotes by Paul F. Boller

Coolidge was a man of few words and a penny pincher -- well known for his New England thriftiness and he was horrified to learn that the White House required repairs totaling almost half a million dollars. He refused to allow the work be done until circumstances demanded it. When the ceiling above the family quarters began to buckle, Coolidge ordered the repairs be made. He and his family then moved out of the White House in 1927 for six months so that the extensive remodeling and repairs could take place. During this time, Coolidge met with the architect and contractor to inspect the attic. The architect showed the president the extreme damage that had occurred to the rafters when the White House was burned during the War of 1812. The architect insisted that the rafters be replaced and asked whether the new rafters should be wood or steel beams, which would cost more. Coolidge replied, “All right. Put in the steel beams and send the bill to the King of England.”