is what you say to a therapist kept private?

I would love to see a therapist weekly about life in general, and just to have someone to talk to about my stresses and problems

my question is, can I tell her what i do for a living? If so, is she obligated to keep it to herself or turn me in since i am doing something illegal?

could she be questioned at any point if something were to happen to me, and spill the beans to LE?

Just one of the many worries....see why I need a therapist! lol
A normal guideline for mental health professionals is usually in regard to physical harm to the patient or others. You would probably be fine discussing your work with a therapist; therapy notes are harder to get released and you can always the same sort of generic terms people use on this board to describe things (donations, etc). The big exception to the reporting, of course, is when it is involving abuse/harm to children.

Unfortunately, regulation in regarding to licensing/monitoring people that label themselves as counselors/therapists is wildly divergent from state to state, so make sure to research anyone you may consider seeing and verify that they have legit credentials. Most urban areas have counselors that specialize in alternative lifestyles, so you may want to check there (a local LBGT publication/website is a good place to start).
thanks! i didnt know there were some that specialized in alternative lifestyles! what a great idea!
what is LBGT?
thanks for the info and advice
LesbianBisexualGayTransgender. While you may not be any of those things, therapists that advertise to that community usually will have a more understanding/open/sensitive approach to alternative lifestyles, including 'straight' individuals involved in BDSM or polyamoury relationships, for example. Someone like that may be more understanding about your particular lifestyle and the challenges it presents.
that is really awesome...i never would have thought of looking for someone like that....
hope they take insurance!
thanks again for the advice
Just some FYI for those in the military that are reading this:

Counselors that are on a base/post "ARE" required to report anything to the chain of command that violated the UCMJ (Uniform Code of Military Justice). It is far more strict than the laws in the civilian world and has more power to enforce them (such as counselors having to report violations). Seeing the wonderful ladies that are part of this alternative lifestyle is one violation. Adultery is another. LGBT used to be. Domestic abuse is one. The military counselor is required to report these. A military counselor that volunteers at a free clinic downtown would also have to report it once the military member identifies his/her-self as such. Where they find out does not alter the fact that they know of the military member.

Just something to think about before you go for that "help" you need and want.
This also applies to civilian counselors that work in the military clinics.
I believe counselors are required to report 'encounters' or 'desires' with anyone under the legal age