2nd Home In HOUSTON (Alief)

Majic is making the partial move
I am looking at a house this coming weekend in Alief Area
Simply Simone the new girl on the block lives in the area and we are going to share a place while she is still under my wing.
HOWEVER I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT THAT AREA.
ANY GOOD INPUT ABOUT THE AREA WOULD BE HELPFUL?????
I would say that is not a good area at all. Lots of crime, cheap housing and miles from any major business districts. Alief was crappy when I was growing up as a kid and it has not gotten any better.
There are better areas on the sw than alief keep looking
Actually, I would say that Alief is a huge area, and it depends on which part you're looking.

It's also extremely ethnically diverse, with large Latino, African American, and various Asian demographics scattered throughout. In fact, there's a thriving Chinatown in the Alief area.

For the most part I agree with the other posters. Schools are bad, which tends to be a good indicator of what a neighborhood is going to be like. But given Alief's size, there are some pockets which are decent, if few and far between.

Prices are good, which is probably why it's appealing to you.

Generally speaking, it's not where I would choose for someone to live, but many parts of Alief are better than Fondren Southwest, or the Aldine area, both of which have similar pricing.

If you have concerns, call the local police station. They're friendlier than you might think about being forthright regarding crime in an area.

Good luck! Moving always sucks. I hope yours goes well.
I live in Alief. Its old and run down. Mostly hispanic and vietnamese immigrants. No good area of alief to live in. Maybe a little more south towards sugar land would be better
  • gsgm
  • 02-05-2013, 12:42 PM
Use Zillow or equivalent. It will show prices, schools, etc. You can research there then go look and see.

Houston can be expensive. Like anywhere the higher the rent/price the better the area and/or closer to Downtown, Galleria, Memorial. Far west Memorial is nice and can be ok price wise. Katy is nice and has cheaper prices because it is farther from Downtown. Clearlake is nice and can be reasonable. North (Spring) is the same.

East Houston tends to be more industrial.

Good Luck and Welcome!
The best place to look is har.com.

They also have an app for iPhone/Android, so you can tell what the price of homes are as you're driving around.
Buying or leasing? You might consider leasing a townhome or condo, which is doable. There are plenty north and west of the galleria.
WOW thank yall thank yall thank yall..ALief did not to apeal to me because of the price hell their is someone I know who has a house with a pool they are about to lose so I was going to scoop it up for the low low since I am ony there a week out the month.. WELL DAMN... If I had my choice Woodlands would be my choice but will look in Sugarland dang......,,
So if the house and area was good are there HOBBIERS in ALief?..... Hell the house may be to hard to pass up just to work out of...
I will check into it more thanks all
If it's in your budget try The Meadows. The homes were built at the same time (70s) that Alief was getting developed, but they've managed to keep it much nicer. Access to 59 is fantastic.

Also, depending on your price, I can give you some rough ideas on where to look in Sugar Land.
<><> Thanks proud and all the others THIS IS WHY I LOVE THIS board ....<><> Thanks again ok im packing up from CC stopping in victoria hen headed tomorrow to look out the house I know for sure I will be using it this weekend now wether I keep it I will keep yall posted
I've lived in Alief all my life and find it to be no more dangerous than any most other areas. I've never had a problem. I live in the energy corridor...so perhaps start looking there.
I would not go to Alief unless I just had too, for all the reasons already given. Brooke and Nate are pretty much spot on. You mentioned the Woodlands which is probably one of the better areas. Sugarland is fine, too, but I guess I am a bit more partial to the Woodlands since I live there. Exxon is relocating there this year, and therefore it is a major growth area with not only Exxon, but new support businesses and houses going in. If you need to find a little more affordable older housing, the 77373 and 77386 zips in spring have some nice older subdivisions. The Woodlands mall area has all the stores and restaurants you would pretty much ever want, and Bush airport is very convenient from here.... Sugarland you have to drive to Hobby airport. Good luck!!
There are a lot of nice areas in Houston. Katy, Memorial, Galleria, Upper Kirby, Midtown, Heights, Clear Lake, The Woodlands, Kingwood...I could go on and on.

The problem for a provider in The Woodlands is that it's so dang far from everything.

If she's looking in Alief, then making the jump to Sugar Land isn't nearly as big of a step as heading to The Woodlands.

Still, depending on her price range, either one of them may not work. It just all depends. Price is always the first determinant. Then it's a matter of picking out what you're willing to compromise to get into something for the price you can afford.

Just too little information on this thread to give good guidance, frankly. Hopefully she loves the house she'll be in this weekend, then it's a moot discussion.
Friendswood baby, thats the place to be.