Best Sports Deal Ever

When the upstart and struggling American Basketball Association merged with the NBA in 1976, only 4 of the 7 teams in the ABA were invited to join the expanded NBA. One of the teams that were left out, the Spirits of St. Louis, negotiated a "small" concession to go away - 1/7 of the TV revenue of the 4 former ABA teams that did join the NBA (the Nets, the Spurs, the Pacers, and the Nuggets). Back in 1976, NBA TV revenue was modest, but it has increased tremendously since. Daniel and Ozzie Silna, the former owners of the Spirits, have already received $255 million thus far, and they (or their heirs) can count on more future fortunes for doing nothing in perpetuity! Now the Silnas want even more, and are suing to grab their share of not just NBA network TV revenue, but also international and premium cable broadcasts.

The NY Times has a nice report on this deal of the century.
  • GP
  • 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM
have already received $255 million thus far, and they (or their heirs) can count on more future fortunes for doing nothing in perpetuity! Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Wasn't that the platform for the DNC?

Thought that was Ralph Wilson's deal too, 25 grand down payment in 1960 and do nothing more in perpetuity.
  • GP
  • 09-15-2012, 09:51 AM
I thought for sure we were gonna get rid of that old coot last week. SOOOOO CLOSE LOL. Soon I predict.... very soon! <fingers crossed>
bring back the ABA
thanck Tebow for the one percenters
these spots teams are pikers

haliburton prolly pulls that in monthly.............. big pharma weekly........................ .....and BIG OIL? fawgettabout it!!!..............ijs
Oilers owner Bud Adams loaned Ralph Wilson money to keep the Bills afloat in the 60s. I wonder if Wilson ever paid it back ...
Bain capital?...................... .............................. BASTARDS!!!
what limit should be set on an individuals income in America that would make you more satisfied jack?
JB,

My personal Cap is 1 Billion/year. I'm really not greedy! Now if I made that kid of loot there are MANY MANY things I would do with it and I guarantee a significant portion would go to the purchase of services ...

DD
id could blow through that in a week in Texas

would stop in arKansas on my way though