Subsidizing newspapers?

• oden
  • 06-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Next on the agenda apparently is propping up old school journalism. Taxpayer money to support print media and public radio. Money, according to an FTC proposal, would be given to outlets that support the public good according to the government. I wonder what this government would consider the public good!
I don't buy it. Print media is going away, and is being replaced with digital/online papers.

I think small weeklies that report only on local happenings may stay in vogue, but dailies are not long for this world.
I agree. The New York Times had stacks of newspapers out on college campuses, trying to give them away so kids would get "hooked" on it and begin subscribing.

The kids wouldn't take them! They preferred to get their news online where the info was up-to-date.
  • Mokoa
  • 06-03-2010, 09:24 PM
It may be awhile, but I will be surprised if the newspapers can stick it out.

I have always enjoyed going through the daily morning paper at lunch time or whenever I get the chance.
Next on the agenda apparently is propping up old school journalism. Taxpayer money to support print media and public radio. Money, according to an FTC proposal, would be given to outlets that support the public good according to the government. I wonder what this government would consider the public good! Originally Posted by oden
That's really scary. Unfortunately, it wouldn't be too surprising for either of our political parties to do this for "public education" purposes. I bet it will happen in some fashion in many places in the world. Why bother with threats of violence against the press when you can simply bribe them with taxpayer money?

I was about to post something to the effect of "Thank God for the internet press," but the bribes like this can probably work there, too.

I remember when the feds tried to use funding cuts to blackmail PBS over the "Vietnam - the ten thousand day war."
The proposal you reference creates serious issues. But so does the disappearance of serious news organizations. I know of no on line source that is poised to take the place of nationally respected newspapers. And they can't survive to provide on-line content in the future that will be up to date unless they can figure out some way to harvest real revenue from their on-line operations. Then we'll only be left with blogs (which are notoriously biased toward the view of the author) or television (which is ridiculously superficial).
If the newspapers disappear it will be regretable but this is a capitalist society - still, even with the Marxists in DC. They are trying to find a way to "subsidize the news media" - not just newspapers; and the internet (not going to happen) so they can control them. Only the company line papers or mags will be subsidized. That's communism in practice.
The proposal you reference creates serious issues. But so does the disappearance of serious news organizations. I know of no on line source that is poised to take the place of nationally respected newspapers. ). Originally Posted by TexTushHog
I figured you for a fan of nytimes.com? I mean the "serious news organizations" haven't left, they're just viewed online.

There is something nostalgic about a paper spread across a breakfast table and a good cup of coffee. I somehow think those days are over. I visited my parents a year or so ago (and these two would never be mistaken for trendsetters), came down for breakfast and found my parents with coffee cups in hand perched over his & hers laptops "reading the newspaper(s)"

Print magazines are dead too. I get a ton of them, mostly complimentary, that just end up in the recycling bin unread.

Same for the local evening (TV) news. I mean all it is now is shock media with arsons, homicides, political scandals and random pedophiles. Back in the day it was must watch programming. You tuned in because you wanted to see how the local team did that evening an what the weather would the next day so you could dress appropriately. Now you get that with a couple of mouse clicks.
  • WTF
  • 06-04-2010, 11:45 AM
Think of how many trees we are saving!

atl. Please do not let us down with this date next week. Ansley seems to think this girl is legit. Nothing your weenie can't handle is what I'm thinking!
As a former newspaper reporter and editor (many moons ago), I hate to see the dailies withering away. A metro newspaper, with 100-500 reporters, is far superior at gathering and reporting the news than 10,000 bloggers.

But I'd hate even more for them to forsake their independence by accepting government subsidies. It's bad enough that some are already so cowed by advertisers that they ignore the consumers (readers). If they won't bite the hand that feeds them, just imagine what would happen to political/government coverage.

Like the owners in Major League Baseball who complain about player salaries, however, they brought it on themselves. If a single paper other than the Wall Street Journal makes money from its website, I've yet to hear of it. They gave away web access, costing themselves a lot of print subscribers. Now they can't un-give free access without costing themselves a lot of online readers.

They made their own bed -- or dug their own grave -- and now they have to lie in it. Bummer.
I cannot imagine not walking out into my drive way and picking up the paper and reading it over a cup of coffee. I don’t like to get news on line. I get the New York Times on line with my subscription, but I would NEVER read it there. I have to touch my book, paper or magazine. I think it makes me OCD. I’m not sure J

I would give up on a news organization that was subsidized by the government. JB is right, it is very Soviet Bloc style dictatorship thing to do.
I cannot imagine not walking out into my drive way and picking up the paper and reading it over a cup of coffee. I don’t like to get news on line. I get the New York Times on line with my subscription, but I would NEVER read it there. I have to touch my book, paper or magazine. I think it makes me OCD. I’m not sure J

. Originally Posted by OliviaHoward
I understand the tactile sensation thing and the ritual thing....I was in the same place you were say 3-4 years ago...All I got to say is never say never...you might be in a different place shortly
I understand the tactile sensation thing and the ritual thing....I was in the same place you were say 3-4 years ago...All I got to say is never say never...you might be in a different place shortly Originally Posted by atlcomedy
What about the crossword? What about flicking the paper when I read some Houston Chronicle report’s opinion as fact? I can’t flick my screen! What about when I go to Starbucks for coffee instead of my study or kitchen?????? How am I supposed to read a book soaking in the tub? I know the day is coming when they turn pull the plug on the printing presses, but………….
Real journalism died years ago. Accuracy is no longer part of the equation.
but this is a capitalist society - still, even with the Marxists in DC. Originally Posted by John Bull
JB, I wasn't aware you would agree with Khrushchev on anything...but apparently you do.