Google Voice

Looks like Google Voice coming down on numbers used for hobby. Blocking the calls and texting.
What's happening?
  • BLM69
  • 04-15-2022, 12:57 PM
What's happening? Originally Posted by corona
Would like to hear about it also
+1 on needing intel here
I have never understood why you guys trust Google in the first place.
Hasn’t that been a policy for awhile? If you provide evidence that the number is being used for an illegal service, they will block it. I’ve not seen any news that they have gone on the offensive actually looking for numbers that may be engaged in such activity.
I have never understood why you guys trust Google in the first place. Originally Posted by billw1032

Its OK as long long as you disable all location tracking, web history, activity tracking. Its all doable in your settings.

Hasn’t that been a policy for awhile? If you provide evidence that the number is being used for an illegal service, they will block it. I’ve not seen any news that they have gone on the offensive actually looking for numbers that may be engaged in such activity. Originally Posted by TinMan

Yes, looks like they are enforcing it. I have burner phone, texting app and GV. And GV stopped working.
  • BLM69
  • 04-16-2022, 11:25 AM
My GV has worked for about 10 years without any issues, nothing but hookers numbers in it, I call this BS information
Calling it BS is your education and esteemed opinion. I have no interest in arguing for one way or the other. I am just sharing what happened to me. Below is what i get

Your access to this Google product has been suspended because of a perceived violation of either the Google Terms of Service or product-specific Terms of Service.

I cant think of any reason, other than hobbying.
If you google search folks with similar issues (non-hobby) you can see a number of possible reasons. Someone reporting it as spam, too much activity, etc.

Not sure if any of these could apply to your situation, but it may be a number of things besides google identifying and blocking the number due to hobby activity.

I keep my gv interactions pretty brief and not too explicit. Not sure if that helps keep my service, but another possibility?
FWIW, my GV account is tied to a hobby only Gmail account, and is only used for the hobby. Mine has been fine.
  • BLM69
  • 04-16-2022, 07:03 PM
Calling it BS is your education and esteemed opinion. I have no interest in arguing for one way or the other. I am just sharing what happened to me. Below is what i get

Your access to this Google product has been suspended because of a perceived violation of either the Google Terms of Service or product-specific Terms of Service.

I cant think of any reason, other than hobbying. Originally Posted by Aonegonexx
No need to argue about the actual facts, you have no idea why your line was shut down, but you come and report here that it's hobby related. Don't jump before looking where you're gonna land, that's your education for the day
How the hell can Google determine a number is linked to anything sexual???
If you google search folks with similar issues (non-hobby) you can see a number of possible reasons. Someone reporting it as spam, too much activity, etc.

Not sure if any of these could apply to your situation, but it may be a number of things besides google identifying and blocking the number due to hobby activity.

I keep my gv interactions pretty brief and not too explicit. Not sure if that helps keep my service, but another possibility? Originally Posted by TinMan

I keep my GV strictly for hobby. And Yes, i have had issues in the past, but normally its service just not being unavailable (and it gets restored in few days)....or other issues such setup etc which get fixed based on solutions from google searches.

FWIW, my GV account is tied to a hobby only Gmail account, and is only used for the hobby. Mine has been fine. Originally Posted by corona

OK, thanks for confirming. Yes, i have been using it for last 8-10 years, and had many issues during this period which got resolved by themselves or fixes based on google searches. This time it looks different.

No need to argue about the actual facts, you have no idea why your line was shut down, but you come and report here that it's hobby related. Don't jump before looking where you're gonna land, that's your education for the day Originally Posted by BLM69

You can consider whatever it is that you think as fact. You have no idea of what i use my GV for. I am just sharing my experience here, just in case other folks have similar experience. If its still working for, good for you, but if you have nothing good to add, then you keep your street education to yourself.

How the hell can Google determine a number is linked to anything sexual??? Originally Posted by The Queen Sophie
Good question. Difficult to say. But fact that i got that warning and it hasn't been enabled despite contacting them, makes me think its a random check.
With any voice/text app, you have to accept the risk of your data (texts, phone logs) being stored and accessable by a third party. So you have to trust someone.... but that someone aint Google. They are fucking evil.