HELP!! Family Reunion... Gotta hideout!

Omg guys, it's time for my family's annual reunion at our ranch in Red Oak & while it may seem great to catch up with family, it seems like they ALWAYS choose the hottest day of the freakin year to get together for outdoor activities... I CANNOT DEAL. I've come up with the perfect disappearing act but after I leave, I want to have a few drinks to unwind & possibly listen to some great music/bands. Is Deep Ellum still the place for that or perhaps maybe a jazz bar in Addison since I'll more than likely be in the Galleria area during my stay...

Where do you guys go to unwind in Dallas? Other than visiting your favorite provider of course lol!
Seems lotsa folks getting beat down, run over, held up and messed around in Deep Ellum, these days. At least, that's what the news says. Just a bunch o' teenagers with fake id's, running their mouths and throwing up on your shoes. Not for me.

Addison? Still chill. And, should a couple o' folks decide to spend some time together without interruption, there's plenty short-term accommodations nearby, at prices to suit any budget.
Seems lotsa folks getting beat down, run over, held up and messed around in Deep Ellum, these days. At least, that's what the news says. Just a bunch o' teenagers with fake id's, running their mouths and throwing up on your shoes. Not for me.

Addison? Still chill. And, should a couple o' folks decide to spend some time together without interruption, there's plenty short-term accommodations nearby, at prices to suit any budget. Originally Posted by Billogoods
Definitely do not have time for the bullshit that Deep Ellum seems to be giving so Addison it is... any place in particular you can recommend?
Plenty o' watering holes. Not a lot of Jazz places left in Addison. Although Memphis is a cool hangout. Usually have live music. They have a big band every 1st & 3rd Monday, called Memphis Brass that's made up of some of the best jazz/stage band guys. They have notable sit-ins, like Lou Blue Merini.

The Quarter can be fun. Nice folks. Pub grub. Pool tables.

The Village on the Parkway has a bunch o' hoppin' places like the Yard House, Sidecar Social and Sherlock's pub. Do a crawl. Try them all.

Food? Addison's got e'erthang. Cajun, Asian, Hispanic, burgers, steaks, pizza, Italian, Sushi, Vegan,... Google the kind o' food you want. Pick you price ranhe, atmosphere and go. Bad places don't last long in Addison.

Then try Snooze for brunch. The blueberry pancakes are tops.
dont believe everything you read about places on the internet.

true, there have some problems down there, but there were also shootings on McKinney ave in uptown (right by the whole foods). should we avoid uptown altogether??

i've been going to deep ellum since the 90s and have never had a problem (even out til late on sat and sun nites).
just research where you're going, be aware of what's going on, and DONT go back to your car alone at 2:30am!!

it's a lot more crowded than in years past, lots of new restaurants and bars and clubs. and all in 6 blocks E-W and 2 blocks N-S.
dbl post by the eccie gremlin.....
Plenty o' watering holes. Not a lot of Jazz places left in Addison. Although Memphis is a cool hangout. Usually have live music. They have a big band every 1st & 3rd Monday, called Memphis Brass that's made up of some of the best jazz/stage band guys. They have notable sit-ins, like Lou Blue Merini. Originally Posted by Billogoods

Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I went a couple of weeks ago and sat through both sets. Not exactly Maynard Ferguson or the Tonight Show Band, but it was still good music, good ti hear in a live venue instead of through Airbuds for a change.

Further research indicates the Dallas Jazz Orchestra plays in a small town near Denton a couple of times a month. I hope to be able to check it out.