Internet Sales Tax: Good or Bad?

Looks like this topic has already divided some of the GOP- I think this is a no-brainer- why shouldn't consumers have to pay sales taxes just because they use the internet?
Better question is why the fuck should they?
Its a state sales tax, not a federal sales tax is why. But something from an internet supplier today that has a building/warehouse/store location in your state, and you pay the regular state sales tax just like you would if you walked into one of their locations.

Why are people so eager to pay out more and more of their hard-earned money for everyday purchases?
You are damned if you do, damned if you don't.

The internet revolutionized a lot of things. The advent of home shopping at the keyboard is one that certainly owes some of it's popularity to the fact that sales are tax free.

But you still have to pay shipping. And you still have to wait the three days. And if something is wrong, it's not near as simple as just going back to the store down the street.

I try to buy local, if it is in stock. But if a retail outlet says that "we have to order it" shit, I will just order it myself on line.

I can't amagine the beauracracy that will be involved in collecting this tax. It will probably end up costing more to collect it than what the tax makes.
Better question is why the fuck should they? Originally Posted by Budman
Because of the fact that 2 things are certain in this world DEATH and TAXES- why are you encouraging people to not pay taxes????
I like the current Texas approach; if the vendor doesn't have a bricks and mortar location in the state, then no sales tax can be collected !

Simple....

And likewise, California can't charge a Texas resident for purchasing a product without visiting the state.....
A better question is why would any Democrat want to impose this kind of a tax on the middle class ?

I can understand the GOP support; but I thought Democrats stood for the working guy...this is a tax on working Americans.....the rich can afford it, the poor generally don't buy via the internet...............

The irony is that it is the Tea Party that is putting up the fight against this legislation that has Obama's backing.
Best be paying the state and local sales tax if you itemize the purchased items as deductions on your Federal taxes. ijs

As Jackie noted, it is nice to buy locally when you can, but with stores, these days, catering to selling items that enjoy volume sales, often the internet is the only recourse left (e.g., brown leather dye, evidently, is not a volume sales item in this area; hence, ordered it over the internet AFTER searching for it at five local stores). Shipping charges are almost always less than the tank of gas one would burn running around a city searching for a particular item. Also, one can sometimes buy something and have it shipped -- free from shipping charges -- to a retail store nearby: have done that with Sears, Home Depot and a couple of other places.
Because of the fact that 2 things are certain in this world DEATH and TAXES- why are you encouraging people to not pay taxes???? Originally Posted by wellendowed1911

You are kidding right? We all pay to much in taxes. Well maybe not all. There are a shit load of freeloaders that don't pay jack. I'm sick of giving city, state and federal cocksuckers more and more of my money so they can piss it away on stupid ass shit and then come back with their god damned hand out every fucking year. Fuck you and anybody else that thinks we don't pay enough already. The damn goverment needs to learn how to spend our dollars wisely and quit wasting it on fucking retarded shit.
I like the current Texas approach; if the vendor doesn't have a bricks and mortar location in the state, then no sales tax can be collected !

Simple....

And likewise, California can't charge a Texas resident for purchasing a product without visiting the state..... Originally Posted by Whirlaway
The current Texas approach is the the current United States approach.

Marketplace Fairness Act
On May 6, the Senate is expected to pass the Marketplace Fairness Act, which would require sellers who generate more than $1 million per year in online revenue to collect and remit the applicable state sales tax for their customer's state of residence. Under current law, businesses only need to collect sales taxes if they have stores, warehouses or some other type of physical presence in a state.

But the proposed law won't eliminate unfairness. Consider this example. Under the new law, if you live in Massachusetts, you will still have to pay sales tax (6.25 percent) on the toaster you buy at a store in state, but if you drive to a store in neighboring New Hampshire, you won't. The only difference under the new law is that an online retailer that ships the toaster to you would have to charge you Massachusetts sales tax. But just as with the current law, bricks and mortar sellers in states with no sales tax would be able to undercut competitors' prices because they wouldn't have to charge the added tax. If policy makers were really concerned about the issue of fairness, all customers -- regardless of whether they are buying online or in person -- would have to pay a sales tax based on their state of residence.

If the new law kept states from raising income taxes, which are more economically distorting than sales taxes, an internet sales tax might be worthwhile. But the proposed legislation does nothing to preclude state governments from charging higher income tax rates even after they collect the added internet sales tax. In other words, this is just a recipe for Americans to pay higher taxes.

Read more: http://www.entrepreneur.com/article/...#ixzz2RyceBJ9n
A better question is why would any Democrat want to impose this kind of a tax on the middle class ?

I can understand the GOP support; but I thought Democrats stood for the working guy...this is a tax on working Americans.....the rich can afford it, the poor generally don't buy via the internet...............

The irony is that it is the Tea Party that is putting up the fight against this legislation that has Obama's backing. Originally Posted by Whirlaway
Are you assuming that only middle class use internet shopping and the rich don't?

Simple....

And likewise, California can't charge a Texas resident for purchasing a product without visiting the state..... Originally Posted by Whirlaway
I agree- but as it stands there are a lot of business that have brick and mortar in a state that no sales taxes are collected.
You are kidding right? We all pay to much in taxes. Well maybe not all. There are a shit load of freeloaders that don't pay jack. I'm sick of giving city, state and federal cocksuckers more and more of my money so they can piss it away on stupid ass shit and then come back with their god damned hand out every fucking year. Fuck you and anybody else that thinks we don't pay enough already. The damn goverment needs to learn how to spend our dollars wisely and quit wasting it on fucking retarded shit. Originally Posted by Budman
I can give you a list of Countries where citizens pay no taxes or the govt is inept to collect taxes- would you like to live there? If not quit bitching and pay your taxes!!!! Obviously no one likes to pay taxes but they are necessary if you want to live in the country like we have and enjoy the perks- if not go move to a 3rd world country.
I agree- but as it stands there are a lot of business that have brick and mortar in a state that no sales taxes are collected. Originally Posted by wellendowed1911
5 out of 50 (10%) doesn't constitute "a lot" in my opinion.

Alaska
Delaware
Montana
New Hampshire
Oregon

Not exactly big population centers
I can give you a list of Countries where citizens pay no taxes or the govt is inept to collect taxes- would you like to live there? If not quit bitching and pay your taxes!!!! Obviously no one likes to pay taxes but they are necessary if you want to live in the country like we have and enjoy the perks- if not go move to a 3rd world country. Originally Posted by wellendowed1911

If you like getting hand-outs

The takers are outnumbering the givers and they need more money to keep the takers on their side. Just buying the votes.

A lot of people that don't make a lot will shop online for a better deal and free shipping and no tax is a big plus.