Extradition to US

It may have taken a long time, but this article might be of interest.

Ignore the bloggers, they are almost as whacko (and unrepresentative) as the bloggers here.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...urt-rules.html
Thanks for posting; I am amused that "human rights" judges are even involved. This should remain an issue between the two governments involved; not some euro-zone tribunal.

But welcomed outcome none the less. It will be years before any of these terrorists hit US soil.

Better to kill them on the battlefield - be it London or Kabul.
What's funny is that they are worried that US prisons are worse than Greek or Turkish hell holes, or even worse in ex Eastern European countries.

The problem is that images and stories of bad practices get everybody's attention.

Not that I am saying any prisons are a holiday home, or any legal system is fair to everybody irrespective of income - I know too much to think that - but the main problem is the other prisoners.

There is an imbalance because at present UK citizens can be extradited to US, but not the other way round, hopefully this will be rectified soon.

Another 'human rights' issue which the UK government is trying to overturn, is the 'right to a family life' which many are using to defend themselves against deportation as illegal immigrants.

UK at least is not going to lie down and have the European Court of Justice walk over us - although I speak as a general europhile.
Why does the UK usurp their sovernighty to "european courts" and such......
There is much debate about that.

First, we don;t have a written constitution.

Second, we don;t have a human rights act, and if we didn't use the European human rights act, our own version might not be very different.

But the real debate is whether the european economic union is an economic union or a political union.

Many say it is primarily a political union, as a means of avoiding ever after a war in europe as it experienced twice in the last century.

A bit of occasional nonsense is worth it to avoid those terrible events.

Very few in Britain want a United States of Europe. In fact, I don;t think any serious politician wants that, they certainly would never say they want it, it is electoral suicide.

ps you could equally ask why Britain usurps its sovereingty to US courts, when there is no reciprocal arrangement.
A bit of occasional nonsense is worth it to avoid those terrible events. Originally Posted by essence
Fear is the best way to control the population. Not dogging the UK, we have lost most of our rights as well for this same reason.
There is much debate about that.

First, we don;t have a written constitution.

Second, we don;t have a human rights act, and if we didn't use the European human rights act, our own version might not be very different.

But the real debate is whether the european economic union is an economic union or a political union.

Many say it is primarily a political union, as a means of avoiding ever after a war in europe as it experienced twice in the last century.

A bit of occasional nonsense is worth it to avoid those terrible events.

Very few in Britain want a United States of Europe. In fact, I don;t think any serious politician wants that, they certainly would never say they want it, it is electoral suicide.

ps you could equally ask why Britain usurps its sovereingty to US courts, when there is no reciprocal arrangement. Originally Posted by essence
*Totally agree mate. But, I think we need to look at the issue of extradition as its a wee bit odd US citizens can't be extradited but "our" British citizens can indeed go the other way. On a different topic I'm totally against the death penalty 90% of the time. I'd think it far worse to send the whole lot of em to an island penitentiary and have them bugger each other to death;-)
LIke Australia?
LIke Australia? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
So they did!!! . . .
LIke Australia? Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
SNAP!

In order to get these murderers will the US have to promise not to execute them?
Cuteoldguy: You said it not me lol. But, yes exactly like that. But, with one change--unleash Ebola and a host of other nastiness. This island should be mainly for rapists, pedophiles, catholic priests and other nutters who fall into similar categories.