In Retrospect could Nov 4th 2008 turned out any different?

Ok guys/gals do you think there could have been any outcomes that would have changed the results of 2008 on a political level? For example had Obama choose Clinton as VP would or could they have still defeated McCain/Palin? Or had McCain choosen a different VP could the results have been different for him to upset Obama? I hild firm to belief that the Palin choice hampered his chances of winning- if McCain was strictly looking for a woman to perhaps get some votes from the loyal supporters of clinton who were mad because she was not chosen would it had made a difference? What if McCain had chosen Condoleeza Rice or Kay Bailey Hutchinson? Would McCain have won if he had chosen Mitt Romney or Huckabee? What are your thoughts?
I don't think McCain could have won, regardless. Choosing Palin was a political "Hail Mary" pass. Not sure if any of those running could have won. The republicans would have had to come up with an outsider of Reagan dimensions. (Regardless of whether you liked Reagan, he was a hell of a candidate)
Quite honestly, I'm not sure if the outcome would have been different. I think if there was some kind of scandal (the October surprise) it might have had a negative impact. Except, of course, a sex scandal - that seems to be a resume enhancement for Democratic candidates. Condi Rice might have made a difference had she been selected as GOP VP; not sure if HRC would have coaleced Democratic support or repulsed moderates and independents.

COG is right, though, the GOP needs a candidate that not only runs his campaign like Ronaldus Magnus, but espouses the same ideas and optimistic vision of America as was done in 1980 rather than playing the blame game.
The collapsing economy all but ruined McCain's chances even before his response to suspend his campaign and going along with the bailouts.
What could have happened to Obama: More exposure about the Reverend Wright, and his associations in his Chicago past. An honest and fair press would have helped.
What could have McCain have done: The McCain campaign was on auto-pilot until Sarah Palin came along. Whether you like her or not she energized a sleeping campaign. I like Condileeza Rice but I would have rather seen her as president. Maybe Romney would have brought some business sense to the campaign. McCain should have turned down federal funding. Obama couldn't have said much about the hypocrisy since Obama made many statements that he would use federal funding.
The most important thing for McCain was not using federal funding. For Obama was keeping his past under wraps.
I think the giant elephant in the room is money. Obama entered new ground when he decided not to take public financing.

Both McCain and Obama had agreed to take the public financing...but then Obama backed out. McCain was limited to around $88 million, while Obama spent around $790 million.

State by statem the McCain camp packed up their bags and left, trying to consolidate. Obama, on the other hand, had his own TV station, bought a block of prime-time programming on most major networks, and was able to pay his 'volunteers' a salary.

I think the outcome would have been very different if McCain had decided to follow along, and not take it himself...but his history as a crusader for campaign finance reform prevented that.

That single event signalled the end of a competitive election. It was reported by the media with a wimper, but it was over the second Obama announced he had 'changed his mind'. After that, nothing else mattered.

The big loser...I couldn't imagine living in a 'battleground state', and being subjected to unlimited campaign commercials on TV and radio...I think about how bad it gets in Kansas with the local races...it had to have been hell in Ohio...I probably would have turned off the radio for several months.

What happens from here? Will Obama take public financing next time? Not likely, and I hope his opponent isn't stupid enough to take it...and hello, BIIIIG money in politics.