real jobs thread

I couldn't bring myself to dignify that other thread with a response but I'll suggest there are are great number of professions that support "the hobby" & see respectable hourly gals or better.

I don't know what the magic income would be that "comfortably" supports the hobby, but I'll suggest it has a lot more to do with spending choices, including other obligations, than income.

Consider 2 guys. One single making $75K. The other making $150K, a big houseful of kids...guess who has more playtime money?

Or give up golf....that is a bunch of good sessions right there

Or what about the guy that makes really good coin but all on a w-2 and has a wifey that watches the family finances like a hawk?

Or the real ...the guy with ex-wives....to a point it doesn't matter how much you make, it is never enough...
I would say postponement of gratification could net just about anyone enough money to hobby once in a while.

I mean, think of it this way. A cup of coffee costs $2. If you get a cup of coffee daily, that's $730/year.

A guy who disciplined himself to throw just $2 in a can daily would have enough money to see a lady who charges $200 ... 3 times a year, plus he'd have money left over to pay for the hobby phone etc.

So I think its just about prioritization and postponing gratification.

Anytime someone asks me what I do for a living I draw a blank. Not because I don't do anything, but because I do so many things it sort of defies the pat categories that most people like.

Usually, I think it is a proxy for figuring out income and social class; so I tell people I'm a poor dumb farmer. I like to defy convention.
I've known at least 6 guys in the last few years who've either bancrupted themselves or lost their happy home because they had to rely on wifey to pay the bills because of the hobby. They weren't seeing HDH's either.

As for me, I'm retired very comfortably and am too cheap to have such troubles.
Separate checking accounts. And credit card accounts. And savings accounts.
Separate checking accounts. And credit card accounts. And savings accounts. Originally Posted by SlowHand49
or better known as "slush fund."
  • WTF
  • 09-15-2010, 03:34 PM
or better known as "slush fund." Originally Posted by SR Only
How 'bout Slutty fun(d)
A cash stash. No paper trail.
While I do see some high level execs and a few independently wealthy individuals, most of my clients are your average white-collar guys. While they're clearly not bad off, they're not what most people would consider wealthy, either.

I think the difference is that they're in a situation atl described (more/easier access to disposable income AND free time) and/or they are lower volume themselves (seeing one or two ladies a month -- or less -- instead of one or two a week).
I think the difference is that they're in a situation atl described (more/easier access to disposable income AND free time) and/or they are lower volume themselves (seeing one or two ladies a month -- or less -- instead of one or two a week). Originally Posted by Carrie Hillcrest
You talkin' to me?
You talkin' to me? Originally Posted by SR Only
Semi off topic story that I was reminded of because of your avatar:
I was driving the other day and passed a car with a license plate that was something like "529 CBJ". I was like, Dang, that's a little pricey, ain't it?

It was totally a "You know you're in the hobby when..." moment.
I am by no means well off, not even close! But I do as suggested by Laurentius. I'm very frugal with money, I rarely eat out, don't party anymore, drive a car that's been paid for, shop for summer clothes right about now(prices slashed 70%), shop for winter clothes around March, use coupons for nearly everything(food, mechanic work, entertainment), don't throw away pennies, in fact if I see one I'll pick it up, don't do drugs, don't have kids, etc... I've employed the art of being frugal now for about 25yrs and though I have a very modest income it has afforded me the luxuries of those with higher income. I live in a great community, with a nice savings, and I get to partake of those fabulous providers anytime I please. I remember about 25yrs ago I overheard a financial adviser say "it's not how much you make, but how you manage what you have". Been applying that advice every since!
drsmooth1, Word!
  • oden
  • 09-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Where their is a will there is a way. I do have a friend that foolishly dipped into his retirement funds to lavishly indulge in the "Sporting Life" pursuing golf and the hobbie to excess. While golf provided a good cover for his time; he paid for both and now enjoys neither.
don't have kids Originally Posted by drsmooth1
There's 90% of your savings right there.

The last tuition check goes out in January. Then it's Daddy's turn for fun.

Cheers,
Mazo.
I'm retired on a fixed income. I save up my lunch money and pay CASH!