kindle vs. nook..... which do you prefer?

I am in the market for an e reader. I have read the specs. Does the nook bright to be able to read at night? I know the Kindle has a light that you can purchase for nightime reading.

Any input would be appreciated....

Thanks,

Sixx
I have the 6" Kindle 3G ($189) and love it. It beats the Nook in a couple of categories - internal memory and number of formats supported. But in all honesty, two features make the Nook a clear winner now over the Kindle - it supports the epub format (Kindle doesn't), and there's more content available from Barnes and Noble than from Amazon. The color screen on the Nook is nice, too. Kindle only has B&W. If the color Nook had been available when I bought my Kindle, I'd have bought the Nook instead.

Support for the epub format is major. To quote from a recent review:

"Since the Barnes & Noble Nook supports the nearly universal EPub format so DRM free sources of free books such as those available from Google Books can be downloaded. That makes more than a million books which are in the public domain available to Nook users."

Besides, the $149 Nook has 3G. The $139 Kindle has only wifi. The 3G Kindle version runs $189 - $40 more than the Nook. And you still only get a B&W display.

FWIW.
If you find that you may read from multiple sources... iPad, iPhone, eReader, etc, you may want to consider the Kindle. Your book purchases are not required to be downloaded and stored on a PC, or the unit itself. Kindle stores your books in "the cloud" and bookmarks are sync'd in the cloud. So you may be reading Pillars of the Earth at home, and find yourself with an unexpected wait at an appt. You can pull out another mobile device with a Kindle app installed, and pick up where you left the story on the Kindle, that is sitting on your nightstand at home. When you get home, the Kindle will reflect the progress you made waiting for your doctor to finish with his golf game. Friends that have the Kindle tell me the power management is unbelievable as well.
Dont know about nook but love the kindle, you can get thousands of free books.

They are old, past copyrighted age but still some good stuff listed under the
"the magic catalog of project Gutenberg"

Right now reading "22 years a slave, 40 years a free man" ..... wow powerful reading even if written 1850s? He said he would rather live in a State prison for life than live under slavery again.

I don't know if the nook does the free books but I have to say I like the reader and you CAN read in bright sunlight no problem. I just have to catch myself from turning it over and trying to "shake out the etch-a-sketch writing." LOL

• Mokoa
  • 02-22-2011, 12:31 AM
Wrong thread GM.
  • Vyt
  • 02-22-2011, 01:28 AM
Neither the Kindle nor the baseline Nook are backlit, you'll have to get lights for them. The Nook Color is basically a tablet computer that runs Android but is locked to run only the ereader. You can unlock it though. It's a fairly good deal. Or you can get an iPad (I hear they're popular in strip clubs these days), it's what I use for an ereader, that'll let you read from any eBook store (at least for now, Apple is starting to get bitchy about wanting their cut).

If money's a concern go into Best Buy and see which you prefer, they have both Kindles and Nooks on display.
You can pull out another mobile device with a Kindle app installed, and pick up where you left the story on the Kindle, that is sitting on your nightstand at home. When you get home, the Kindle will reflect the progress you made waiting for your doctor to finish with his golf game. Friends that have the Kindle tell me the power management is unbelievable as well. Originally Posted by ThatHarleyGuy
I forgot to mention that. I sometimes read the same book on my smart phone and on my Kindle, and as long as I have the Kindle's wifi/3G turned on it syncs up so I always start from where I left off on either device. Because of the way the e-ink display works, you can run for weeks on a battery charge - as long as you leave the wifi/3G transmitter off. If you leave it on when you don't need it, you'll have to recharge every couple of days.
Love my Kindle. I have had mine for well over a year and I have trouble seeing print in low light. Mine is not backlit and I never have a problem reading it.

Spacemtn
Neither the Kindle nor the baseline Nook are backlit, you'll have to get lights for them. The Nook Color is basically a tablet computer that runs Android but is locked to run only the ereader. You can unlock it though. It's a fairly good deal. Or you can get an iPad (I hear they're popular in strip clubs these days), it's what I use for an ereader, that'll let you read from any eBook store (at least for now, Apple is starting to get bitchy about wanting their cut).

If money's a concern go into Best Buy and see which you prefer, they have both Kindles and Nooks on display. Originally Posted by Vyt
This is the best option.

The Nook Color already has a ported android 3.0 up and running. Is actually very capable as a basic android tablet....in some ways more capable then an IPAD (and less so in others). Well worth the $100 difference in the long term IMO...
Kindle refuses to work with libraries. Nook does work. You can check out ebooks for free just like a regular library book (at least at the one I do business with).
Wrong thread GM. Originally Posted by Mokoa

LOL

I don't know what happened either

but I don't have either of those devices

I'm not really one to keep up with the Joneses