Baseball's Team of Destiny

It's too early to go whole hog one way or the other but, being down 0-2 isn't exactly how one would draw it up. I hope the Rangers can come back but if they can't they are still in a lot better shape for the future than the Giants. The future looks bright for the Rangers and, who knows, that future could be the next 5 WS games, too!

But, don't be surprised if we are undone by one of those crazy aberrations that come along every now and then, i.e. a "Team of Destiny." The Giants may be, with the exception of a few, one of those bunches of misfits and weirdos, has-beens and never-were's that come along every so often. Baseball has long been a refuge of the flaky...lol - gawd luv 'em - and the beisbol gods have a strange sense of humor. The Giants couldn't outhit grandma during the regular season but whipped the powerful Phillies' collective ass with their bats and, for at least the first two games, are pounding our asses into the ground. It may be the Rangers' unhappy lot to have tripped over a real-life incarnation of "Major League." I wonder which one of them is Cerrano?

Hell, let's enjoy the trip and root, root, root for the home team (someone once said) - who knows, our Rangers may get hot when they get back here.
  • Aflac
  • 10-29-2010, 09:36 AM
I'm with you. I've not lost hope. Still pulling for the Rangers.

Now we know what it felt like for the Yankees last week.
That is an incredible post for those of us who understand and love the history of the sport and hollywood's most enjoyable versions of the sport.

I can see Bruce Bochy in the clubhouse, ripping off strips of clothing from the wife of the Giants owner, with is one jacked up white eyebrow. He will forever be a Padre in my mind. Too many of those old Padres there not to be happy for their success.
Hell, let's enjoy the trip and root, root, root for the home team (someone once said) - who knows, our Rangers may get hot when they get back here. Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
I jinxed the team when I placed my bet on them. I should have left well enough alone, and enjoyed the games.

I can't watch ESPN, nothing but highlights of the horror. What have I done to them.

I still got hope for them though, go Rangers .. and win my money back.

... oooh, the Cowboys @ -7... nah, it a trap.
Maybe we can get some of our Cajun bretheren (and sisteren) to come over here, cast a counter-spell and drink ol' Jobu's rum (and not get hit in the head by an errant bat!).

All together now, "Up yours, Jobu." (ducks)
I've never been a huge baseball fan, but after so many years of going nowhere you simply have to be in the Rangers' corner and crossing your fingers they can end up winning it all. It's so easy to root for team's that have won a title in their respective sport but the Rangers are the epitome of underdog.
Should we order KFC tomorrow night? We need a whole chicken to take the hex of the Ranger's bats.
The Giants were not respected enough by Rangers fans and perhaps the Rangers team coming into the world series. The Giants have awesome pitching and thats not just their starting pitching, their bullpen is light years away from the Rangers young and dumb bullpen. It also hurts the Rangers playing by national league rules because it really messes up their bats, the back part of the batting lineup is not as strong like it was because Vlad is not the DH and we have to hit with a pitcher.

I expect the Rangers to win one maybe two games but the Rangers dont have a chance IMO to comeback and win the series. I dont think it has anything to do with the "destiny" aspect, it's just the style of the game has changed and the Rangers probably could have had a good chance to win if the Ranger had the home field advantage to combat the non DH rule.

I also have seen Ron Washington not able to manage the process, its more like the process managing or mismanaging his decisions. He is still a very good manager and he should learn from this and so should the players. I hope they can keep the team together, along with Cliff Lee, and next year could be another chance to win the world series.

BTW, I am still physically sick from last night's 8th inning collapse, 2 outs and the Rangers allow 7 runs, and walk 4 straight times.......that will take a long time to recover as a fan.
Should we order KFC tomorrow night? We need a whole chicken to take the hex of the Ranger's bats. Originally Posted by Boltfan

With you on that, BF. Hmmm, might get one from Church's, too. Can't play it too safe - this might be a two chicken deal...LOL! Might need to stop by the nearest pro shop for some head covers, too - "hats for bats."
Might need to stop by the nearest pro shop for some head covers, too - "hats for bats." Originally Posted by Randy4Candy
That is priceless. In my younger days when I was playing baseball and softball regularly I had my "hats for bats" on all my equipment. My good friend and I would say the "You no help me hit curveball now, I say fuck you jobu, I do it myself" each time we would walk to the plate.

TR, I have a little more faith in the Rangers ability to pull this off. Granted, two bad innings for the bully and the Giants look like world beaters at the plate. Lest you forget, we tagged the vaunted Giants staff for 7 runs in the first game too. We lost the first game on our inability to not allow the big inning, not because the Giants shut us down.

Back when NY was facing the Braves for the first of their run of WS wins the Braves shut down the NYY the first two games as well. The NYY then ran off 4 straight. The Rangers are just as capable of this run too.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/po.../1996_WS.shtml

The Yankees did also not have the benefit of coming back at home. They lost the first two on the road. Young team, lots of talent, look where they went.