Internet only providers in Buffalo/Tonawanda

With the news of Time Warner jacking up their price again...does any one know of a "internet only" provider in the Buffalo/Tonawanda area? Don't want phone, or cableTV, just internet access!

Are there any out there?
  • GP
  • 02-26-2014, 09:51 AM
You can get just internet from Time Warner or Verizon.

You mean to tell me the extra few bucks is going to break you? I don't like it either, but seriously?
We are pretty much screwed in WNY!
Time Warner has the monopoly on high speed Internet! Now since Comcast took over Time Warner, we will be getting screwed even more!

Verizon has very limited areas where FIOS is available and has been dragging their sorry asses on expanding FIOS availability for years! Would love to get faster FIOS but when asking Verizon when will it come, all they say is they have NO plans to expand FIOS further this year.

WNY and the USA is falling behind other countries when it comes to high speed FIOS. Japan for example has over 90% of their country wired for Super FIOS (running 3-4 x faster, or more, than Verizion FIOS) and costs about $25 to $56 per month! Other European countries also have access to higher speed Internet than the USA. Don't know what or who is holding back the USA in this regard!

U.S. vs. Japan: Residential Internet Service Provision Pricing
Fiber-optic service
In the U.S., Verizon is the only large provider of fiber-optic service, FiOS. There are three options of the service, 15Mbps, 25Mbps, and 50Mbps, $50-$145 per month.
In Japan, the average of fiber-optic speed is up to 100Mbps~1Gbps, costs from $25 to $56 per month ($0.06-0.7 per megabit) for condo residences (up to 6 households or so) depending on VDSL/LAN/Fiber distribution; single house residences are charged higher rates, $55-67($0.03-0.6 per megabit), which is both much cheaper and much faster than the U.S.
  • GP
  • 02-26-2014, 10:08 AM
Verizon has too much invested in all of the copper hanging from the poles.
FIOS needs fiber-optic cable that has no copper!
They have been dragging their sorry asses stringing up that required fiber-optic cable.
  • GP
  • 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM
Yeah, I know. The copper is already hanging there and worth a fortune. The want to squeeze every penny out of that copper.
  • Doove
  • 02-26-2014, 03:01 PM
Am i the only one who clicked on this thread wondering what the heck an internet only provider was?
Am i the only one who clicked on this thread wondering what the heck an internet only provider was? Originally Posted by Doove
You are not alone...
Lol like a girl that gives virtual blow jobs lol
Am i the only one who clicked on this thread wondering what the heck an internet only provider was? Originally Posted by Doove
You are not alone... Originally Posted by pmiddlebrook1225
^ you both have dirty minds ^
Lol like a girl that gives virtual blow jobs lol Originally Posted by Amber Does
... but I too thought that the title refers to SP's who communicate only via the internet (email, PM, or VOIP).
... but I too thought that the title refers to SP's who communicate only via the internet (email, PM, or VOIP). Originally Posted by jackfengshui
That's an OSD no-no ya know.....
Gotta talk on the phone....
Now how is that for a stroll down memory lane...
Lol like a girl that gives virtual blow jobs lol Originally Posted by Amber Does
Good one hun!!!
Actually the best answer so far....LOL
  • Saige
  • 02-26-2014, 08:16 PM
Hahaha! That's what I thought
You can get just internet from Time Warner or Verizon. Originally Posted by GP
Actually there are a few options, just not sure how good/fast they are or if they are available in your area.

About 10 yrs ago a buddy in Newfane used Direct TV Internet service because Time Warner wasn't available and Verizon only had slow phone modem service and no DSL. He said Direct TV was OK and faster than DSL.

Here's some options:
https://www.google.com/search?client...hannel=suggest