Gettysburg Address

Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth.

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863
"Shall we expect some transatlantic military giant to step the ocean and crush us at a blow? Never! All the armies of Europe, Asia, and Africa combined, with all the treasure of the earth (our own excepted) in their military chest, with a Bonaparte for a commander, could not by force take a drink from the Ohio or make a track on the Blue Ridge in a trial of a thousand years. At what point then is the approach of danger to be expected? I answer. If it ever reach us it must spring up amongst us; it cannot come from abroad. If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

You know who said th0see words? A 29-year-old Abraham Lincoln. They've always stuck with me. If destruction be our lot, WE must be its author and finisher. Empires crumble from within.
Ours is crumbling. And WormRaper is cheering it on.
One man's crumbling is another man's transformation.
Ours is crumbling. And WormRaper is cheering it on. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
You're the one who wants the government to start taking a scalpel to corporations. I'm not cheering on shit. I've always though the Lyceum Address was interesting. If we are to fall, we will be the ones who do it to ourselves.
You support and defend corruption and liars. That's how you destroy a society, not how you strengthen it. And I make no apology for wanting corporations to operate within the law and end their influence peddling. I'd like them to operate honestly and openly. And you criticize me for that? You are the problem.
You support and defend corruption and liars. That's how you destroy a society, not how you strengthen it. And I make no apology for wanting corporations to operate within the law and end their influence peddling. I'd like them to operate honestly and openly. And you criticize me for that? You are the problem. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Except that's not what you said. Operating within the law is not what you said. And you know it. I don't support and defend shit. I could say just about anything and you'd get your panties all bunched up.

Here's what you said:

We have to break up these too big to fail companies.

I asked who 'we' was. If not the government, who are you entrusting this assignment to?
Instead of distorting my comment, tell us how lying and corruption are good for America.
Instead of distorting my comment, tell us how lying and corruption are good for America. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
I copied and pasted exactly what you said. How is that distortion? You said we need to break up these companies. Who is doing the breaking up? You still haven't answered that.
You're avoiding defending lies and corruption. I already answered you.. Now defend, asshole.
You're avoiding defending lies and corruption. I already answered you.. Now defend, asshole. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
You didn't answer. You want the government to break up public companies, is that not true? I understand it must be maddening to have your commie ways questioned, but you said it, not me.

I know politicians lie. It's very much like what this site is for. Everyone is going in with their eyes open. We all know the score. It's the same with politics. My eyes are open. I have to choose a candidate that agrees with me on a few very important topics.
In a Libertarian society, it is illegal to take anyone's life, liberty or property by force or fraud. The major corporations and banks are perpetrating fraud. Fraud would be rooted out by the justice system, and corporations and banks would have to operate openly and honestly. Lies and corruption would not be tolerated, which is why this upsets you so, WormRaper. Now, explain to us how lies and corruption benefit a free society.
In a Libertarian society, it is illegal to take anyone's life, liberty or property by force or fraud. The major corporations and banks are perpetrating fraud. Fraud would be rooted out by the justice system, and corporations and banks would have to operate openly and honestly. Lies and corruption would not be tolerated, which is why this upsets you so, WormRaper. Now, explain to us how lies and corruption benefit a free society. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
How do you figure? So the state can't execute prisoners? Police cannot defend themselves using deadly force? The population cannot protect their family using the same deadly force? What are you saying, exactly?

What fraud, exactly, are they perpetrating? You have thrown this blanket over the entire system, refusing to zero in on a smaller target. Why do you think that getting rid of lies and corruption would upset me? Are you fucking nuts? I don't like it anymore than you do, but I'm a fucking realist. The shit is not going to change in my lifetime. I've got more important shit to do than worry about this bullshit. I'm sorry if you think that's somehow supporting it, but you're pissing against the wind.
You simply refuse to explain how lies and corruption benefit a free society. Keep dodging. It's not like you have any credibility to lose.
How do you figure? So the state can't execute prisoners? Police cannot defend themselves using deadly force? The population cannot protect their family using the same deadly force? What are you saying, exactly?

What fraud, exactly, are they perpetrating? You have thrown this blanket over the entire system, refusing to zero in on a smaller target. Why do you think that getting rid of lies and corruption would upset me? Are you fucking nuts? I don't like it anymore than you do, but I'm a fucking realist. The shit is not going to change in my lifetime. I've got more important shit to do than worry about this bullshit. I'm sorry if you think that's somehow supporting it, but you're pissing against the wind. Originally Posted by WombRaider
You simply refuse to explain how lies and corruption benefit a free society. Keep dodging. It's not like you have any credibility to lose. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Are you retarded? Obviously lies and corruption don't benefit a free society. Now, answer my question. Credibility? On a hooker board? Now I KNOW you're retarded.