Steamed Clams

• Paven
  • 06-12-2010, 12:07 AM
I have been craving steamer clams in garlic broth with a nice dipping bread. Can anyone steer me in the right direction and know of a restaurant that has this on the menu? I'd be happy as a clam to get some good info.

Thank you
Paven~

If you are talking about "Steamers", or "longnecks" as they call them up NE, as in Rhode Island, I have yet to find anything like them here. I'm originally from austin, but tour a lot, and was just in Boston/Rhode Island area in February. Had some clams in garlic sauce several times while I was there. I can't find anything even close to that experience here. It was delicious.

If anyone knows where to find something close to the clams you can get up in New England, do tell....
Google "clam bake" and you'll find lots of outfits that fedex the whole clam bake to your door overnight ....... just add water and fire
perhaps, Houston's restaurant? I don't know, but check online w/them.
Paven, if you like steamers, you'll surely enjoy Mussels Mariniere.

You can find a kit of mussels, garlic and wine sauce, and two crusty demi-baguettes in the freezer section of your H.E.B. It's a Central Market brand product. I always have a couple bags in my freezer.

Приятного аппетита!

Monk
I love them too!
Try Perla's, South Congress Cafe, Carmelo's or The Tree House, in Austin
Also try the cooking stations inside Whole Foods. They just might prepare them for you if you ask!
Tess
If you find them at a restaurant, let us know how they are! The mussels look great, but if you still gotta have clams they are really easy to make. This recipe is from the Scoma's Restaurant website--a landmark place on Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco. (Yum)

Don''t know how different this is from the Eastern style or which you prefer, but this is the kind I know and love. This and a loaf of real sourdough bread...heaven. Memories and cravings...a place called Spenger's in Berkeley has a to-go order market adjacent to the restaurant. Used to pick up an order and drive a short hop to the marina. Park, blast the tunes and chow down. Sun setting, view of the Golden Gate, The City, the bay. Just another day in paradise.

Look for small clams, such as littlenecks. (HEB was really pricey the last time I was tempted, so look or call around.)

You could add as much garlic to this recipe as you dare. Could also add a bit of clam stock. Maybe extra melted garlic-butter on the side?

Food safety note, cause if you cook/eat dead clams it would not be pretty. (I love Google)--
"Live shellfish, such as clams, mussels and oysters, should be stored loosely covered with a damp cloth in a well-ventilated refrigerator, not in airtight plastic bags or containers. Shells of live clams, mussels and oysters may (or may not) gape (open) naturally but should close tightly when tapped, indicating they are alive. If not alive, discard."

(Serves 2 - 3 people as an appetizer)

Clams Bordelaise

INGREDIENTS
2 Oz. Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Garlic
1⁄2 Medium Yellow Onion Sliced Thin
1⁄2 Cup Dry White Wine
2 Lbs Fresh Manila Clams
1 Cup Water
1 Teaspoon Chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
1 Tablespoon Butter
Juice From 1⁄2 Small Fresh Lemon (@ 1 Oz.)

PROCEDURE

1. Heat Olive Oil In A Large Pot (At Least 6 Quart).
2. Add Garlic & Onion, Sweat For About 5 Minutes On Medium Heat.
3. Add Clams (Wash & Rinse In Water First).
4. Add Wine & Water Cook On Medium-High Heat For 2 Minutes.
5. Add Parsley & Butter & Lemon Juice.
6. Cover & Cook On Medium Heat For About 5 – 7 Minutes.
7. Uncover & Stir – When Clams Are All Opened, It's Ready To Be Served In Your Favorite Large Serving Bowl / Platter With Drawn Butter & Lemon Wedges.
If you would like mussels instead of clams then get the Cozze en Bianco at Carrabba's. I have been a chef all my life and these are to DIE FOR!!!! I would also try Quality Seafood on Airport (best seafood in town!!!). Also on FRI, SAT Costco sells AWESOME seafood from a little kiosk in the store. I can teach you easily to prepare about any seafood you would like.

If you do end up buying clams and making a Beurre Blanc sauce: Soak the clams or mussels in water with breadcrumbs. They will eat the breadcrumbs and spit out the sand!!! Also they will be plumper and tastier. Cute trick, huh?
If I were going to eat mussels now, I'd only get them in a restaurant. As of now, with summer upon us, mussels have a very short life span because they don't take the heat very well. As such, they can be extremely expensive in the stores, with a lot of dead loss to go with it. Best to stick with clams and other shellfish for now, and wait until it cools down again.
Vespaio and Enoteca often have steamed clams on the menu; it just depends on the day.
Paven --

I'm always on the hunt for steamers myself. Try Reale's up in your neck of the woods -- they have them sometimes. Also try Quality Seafood on Airport. Otherwise, do what I do and get clams from either Quality, the big Asian Market on Lamar or Hong Kong Market on 183 and cook them yourself.

When time permits, I use a pressure cooker, but when in a hurry, a steamer is the most tried and true.

Hmm... maybe we can swap a good pot of steamers for a session... ;-)
One other thing: If anyone is ever looking for mussels, Sagra downtown on San Antonio. Tuesday night is all you can eat mussels and they're great.
  • Paven
  • 06-18-2010, 06:16 PM
Well there seems to be a conspiracy against me finder steamers. Every restaurant that you folks listed I called and no one has steamers and some responded to me like I was speaking in alien...steamer clams? HUH? Wow, Quality Seafood has them but they put red peppers in the broth BLECH! What is that about? So I will have to break down and make my own, which I probably already should have done, but just wanted to enjoy them elsewhere. If it's as easy as y'all say then I can eat them all the time! The bloodhound in me will continue my search though and I will report back once found. Otherwise I'll just have to head back to Hawaii and get them!
Well there seems to be a conspiracy against me finder steamers. Every restaurant that you folks listed I called and no one has steamers and some responded to me like I was speaking in alien...steamer clams? HUH? Wow, Quality Seafood has them but they put red peppers in the broth BLECH! What is that about? So I will have to break down and make my own, which I probably already should have done, but just wanted to enjoy them elsewhere. If it's as easy as y'all say then I can eat them all the time! The bloodhound in me will continue my search though and I will report back once found. Otherwise I'll just have to head back to Hawaii and get them! Originally Posted by Paven
I'm telling you, I haven't found any "real" steamers here. It is Texas. I couldn't find a chile relleno in rhode island either.

Ive looked and looked for quite some time, but no luck. You're right about them being clueless about them when you ask.

If you have any luck, little bloodhound, let me know. I'll treat!
  • Paven
  • 06-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I'm telling you, I haven't found any "real" steamers here. It is Texas. I couldn't find a chile relleno in rhode island either.

Ive looked and looked for quite some time, but no luck. You're right about them being clueless about them when you ask.

If you have any luck, little bloodhound, let me know. I'll treat! Originally Posted by cockforhire
I will and I'm there!