Who do you think is the most underrated actress or actor?

I had the TV on and saw Oklahoma which got me thinking about Shirly Jones. You know, Mrs. Partridge. I remember seeing her in Elmer Gantry playing a prostitute and in the Music Man. Here is a woman who can play a virgin where no man has viewed that hallowed ground then she can turn around and play whore with such authenticity that she won an Oscar. In the Music Man she went from damaged virgin to wanton woman in less than 60 minutes. My number one nominee is:

Shirley Jones

For actor I have to nominate either Scott Glenn (Personal Best, Off Limits, Silence of the Lambs) or Willem Dafoe. The Right Stuff and Streets of Fire. If you like something more disturbing check out Dafoe in the Boondock Saints, Shadow of the Vampire, and Triumph of the Spirit. Which in turn makes me think of John Leguizamo (Moulin Rouge, To Wong Fu, Thanks for Everything! Julie Newmar, and Sid the Sloth). So:

Scott Glenn
Willem Dafoe
John Leguizamo
On top of that, she was smoking hot in her younger days!
i think the guy is from kc.. and he is one of the best ive seen..don cheadle?
I can't say anyone who won an Oscar is underrated. I love Paul Giamatti and Philip Seymour Hoffman. They're both recognized as great actors, but they're more of an actor's actor as opposed to being popular with the general public.
  • KCJoe
  • 09-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Naomi Watts. She really impressed my in Mulholland Drive. Maybe she's not underrated, but I don't think she's won many awards that I'm aware of.

Chris Cooper is one of my favorites. He's from KC, but since he's won an Oscar, his abilities have been recognized.
As Peter O'Toole once said in "My Favorite Year", playing an Errol Flynn-like character, "I'm not an actor, I'm a movie star!" Many of the movie stars today couldn't act their way out of a paper bag (the Nicole Kidman reference). However, someone like Gary Sinise, Gary Oldman, Chris Cooper or Paul Giamatti - who can perform drama, action or comedy in a number of different guises or settings are who I consider good actors. Maybe not underrated, but very, very good.
I don't begrudge someone an award or two but some people like Tom Cruise get a lot of recognition while Don Cheadle is just that guy in that movie we saw last year. Boy, was he good if only I could remember his name.
My Favorite Year. What a great movie. Until this year, Melissa Leo was under the radar. She was great in Homicide. I think John Cryer(although he won an Emmy) is the same. I even liked him as Duckie. Even though he's famous I think Bill Murray doesn't get the credit he should as an actor.
  • KCJoe
  • 09-30-2011, 09:41 AM
I don't begrudge someone an award or two but some people like Tom Cruise get a lot of recognition while Don Cheadle is just that guy in that movie we saw last year. Boy, was he good if only I could remember his name. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
As a person, I don't like Tom Cruise, but as an actor, I have to give him some respect. He did a great job in Minority Report and his character Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder was a classic. Didn't even realize it was him until the credits. Then he turns out a piece of crap like Knight and Day.
As a person, I don't like Tom Cruise, but as an actor, I have to give him some respect. He did a great job in Minority Report and his character Les Grossman in Tropic Thunder was a classic. Didn't even realize it was him until the credits. Then he turns out a piece of crap like Knight and Day. Originally Posted by KCJoe
I see that Cruise is set to play Jack Reacher from the Lee Child novel One Shot. I'm not a Cruise fan, and he wouldn't be my choice for the role, but I can't wait to see the movie.

Not sure he's under rated, but I will watch anything that Billy Bob Thornton does. He's had a couple of clunkers, but overall I enjoy his work.