Used golf clubs

I'm new to the game of golf and want to start out with a set of used clubs. I never knew how much money you can drop in this sport! Can anyone suggest a good place (other than Goodwill or thrift shops)?
Golfsmith resells used clubs, but also has pretty inexpensive decent starter sets. Since you are new to it, go see them and maybe be fitted with "coach" if he is still there.
Brother, you have no idea how much this hobby will cost you. If you really get into it the clubs are the least expensive item. Country Club membership or daily fee courses are not cheap. If you want to play at decent courses you can expect to pay $75 to $175 dollars per round.There are some decent muni's around that are cheaper but it still can run into some big bucks if you play 2-3 times per week.

Golfsmith is a good place to start. Also, try Ebay. Good luck and enjoy the game.
I bought some used clubs on ebay a couple of years ago by a guy who took great care of them and my bid for them was about $300-$400 less than what they were probably worth. they were Callaway and it was a complete set and bag.
Golf can be very expensive, but it does not have to be.
There are plenty of daily fee courses and alot of country clubs are hurting for business in this economy.
Also if you are just starting out do not buy new expensive golf balls. Buy used/cheap ones and play with them until you stop losing them on every other hole.

Going with used clubs is a smart way to go. Especially if you are just starting out and not sure if you are gonna love it.

Play it again sports has several locations in town.
http://www.playitagainsports.com

Golfsmith sells used clubs at both locations.
Any used sporting goods place should have them.
Pawn Shops might have some.
The internet is a great place to look. Craigslist, ebay etc. CL should have plenty of guys selling their old clubs.

Ask any friends of yours who golf if they have an old set laying around. If they have been playing for more then a few years chances are pretty good they have an old set.

Good luck
Academy has some good sets for about $150.
Check the water traps and bushes near any golf course. Of course, the clubs may have been bent over someone's knee or wrapped around a tree.
Check the water traps and bushes near any golf course. Of course, the clubs may have been bent over someone's knee or wrapped around a tree. Originally Posted by GneissGuy

LMAO that is so true GneissGuy I have so damn many sets in my garage that I think when I retire from my current career that I am going to open up a golf shop. And as many have mentioned you can pick up a nice starter set fairly reasonably if you just do your research. Heck I practically stole a Scotty Cameron putter last year from a guy who advertised it on Craigslist.
LMAO that is so true GneissGuy I have so damn many sets in my garage that I think when I retire from my current career that I am going to open up a golf shop. And as many have mentioned you can pick up a nice starter set fairly reasonably if you just do your research. Heck I practically stole a Scotty Cameron putter last year from a guy who advertised it on Craigslist. Originally Posted by OneHotMale
Maybe there's a business opportunity here. Hang around the exit from a local golf course with a sign saying, "I'll buy your clubs for $25."