Ok..no baseball or beer. What else is there?

It's my first trip, in any capacity, to STL. Baseball is second to bowling on my boring meter and I don't drink Budweiser...so what else?
It's my first trip, in any capacity, to STL. Baseball is second to bowling on my boring meter and I don't drink Budweiser...so what else? Originally Posted by babee
If you drink craft brews, I'd recommend a trip to the St. Louis Brewery:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Louis_Brewery

the first microbrewery in Missouri, and makers of some nice craft beers.

If you have time during the day and the heat isn't too oppressive, I'd recommend a trip to the Missouri Botanical Garden:

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/

or the St. Louis Zoo

http://www.stlzoo.org/

both world class institutions.

I'll leave some of the locals (alas, I've been in exile here in Memphis over 10 years now) to provide you some local intel re: eating, partying, etc.

Have fun in St. Louis, or as I will always think of it, "Paradise on the Mississippi."

Cheers,

bcg
...... as I will always think of it, "Paradise on the Mississippi."

Cheers,

bcg Originally Posted by bluffcityguy
I may regret this, but what do you call Mphs? lol
It's my first trip, in any capacity, to STL. Baseball is second to bowling on my boring meter and I don't drink Budweiser...so what else? Originally Posted by babee

babee,

You may want to try Sunset boating at Forest Park. A good place for a sunset picnic and some paddle boating. I think there is one scheduled for Sept 8th. You'll need a partner.

The science center is world class too.

Have fun whatever you wind up doing.

Smile.

f69
have fun sexy..i went last month & those guys rock!!

the zoo is awesome!!!
I may regret this, but what do you call Mphs? lol Originally Posted by babee
Actually, being old river cities, Memphis and STL have a very similar character, and I feel very comfortable here. STL is just home, and St. Louisans have a certain fondness for the old hometown. When I was a law student, interviewers from firms there remarked how it seemed that they couldn't recruit law students to work in St. Louis unless they had some St. Louis connection; either they were from there, or they'd married a lady/guy from there, and the spouse was putting pressure on them to take a job so that the spouse could move back home.

My only "problem" with Memphis was that it was on the wrong damn side of the river. Seriously... it wasn't until I moved here that I realized that I'd instinctively defined "east" as "towards the Mississippi" and "west" as "away from the Mississippi". For my first two years or so here I kept swapping "east" and "west" when giving or receiving directions (always half consciously orienting myself to the river), which certainly made things fun when I was driving. I suppose that if i moved back to St. Louis I'd have to take another couple years to readjust my mental map again.

Cheers,

bcg
Let's not forget the St. Louis Arch. Great museums and some of the best Italian food in the country on "The Hill". And yes I am a foodie.

Shackman
babee,

You may want to try Sunset boating at Forest Park. A good place for a sunset picnic and some paddle boating. I think there is one scheduled for Sept 8th. You'll need a partner.

f69 Originally Posted by fingers69
You volunteering to partner this volunteer? Seriously, they kayak on the river @ Mphs port on New Years Day and another time. I never have kayaked the MS - dunno what the MS is like up there, but down here..nope, not interested in getting that close.

Take a look at this....

http://www.stlmag.com/St-Louis-Magaz...uisan-Must-Do/ Originally Posted by naughtynatale
Thx Nat - that's perfect. No matter how I twist, I don't think I can make it in time to attend the Japanese Tea Ceremony at the Botanical Gardens this weekend (bummer). If I can though, I will.

And yes I am a foodie.

Shackman Originally Posted by Shackman
Me too! Along with using yelp & urbanspoon, I use http://www.flavortownusa.com when I travel.

BCG - you nut. If STL is "Paradise" I wondered what MEM is? Hell? Don't you know anything south of The Gulf of Mexico, east of The Atlantic, north of the ol' Mason-Dixon and west of the Mississippi is just...meh..to a southern gal?
City Museum for the kid in you if you like to play
http://citymuseum.org/site/

The zoo (it's free) if you like that type of thing.
Also the Science Center and Art Museum (also free for the most part)
BCG - you nut. If STL is "Paradise" I wondered what MEM is? Hell? Don't you know anything south of The Gulf of Mexico, east of The Atlantic, north of the ol' Mason-Dixon and west of the Mississippi is just...meh..to a southern gal? Originally Posted by babee
P'raps. I am not, and never will be a Southerner, which is part of the reason that I call myself a "St. Louisan in exile" (or "member of the St. Louis Diaspora").* Obviously we'll never be soulmates, but I still respect you greatly.

Cheers,

bcg

* Or "Proud Citizen of Cardinals Nation", but baseball doesn't trip your trigger, sadly.
The zoo (it's free) if you like that type of thing.
Also the Science Center and Art Museum (also free for the most part) Originally Posted by mizurymule
Quite a few years ago the City of St. Louis and St. Louis County (they're two separate jurisdictions) founded something called "The Zoo-Museum District", a special taxation district. Basically (IIRC), a special hotel tax is assessed on travelers who visit, and the revenues from that tax are given to the Zoo and museums which are members of the district.

That's why they're free.

So you may as well go visit them; you've already paid for it (or will, anyway, when you settle up your hotel bill).

Cheers,

bcg
[quote=babee;1620715]You volunteering to partner this volunteer? Seriously, they kayak on the river @ Mphs port on New Years Day and another time. I never have kayaked the MS - dunno what the MS is like up there, but down here..nope, not interested in getting that close.

babee,

The paddle boating is in Forest Park on a man made lake. If memory serves me correctly the lake was made for the 1904 Worlds Fair. I wouldn't get that close to the MS here either. Way too dirty. As far as volunteering.....that would be interesting. You, me, picnic basket filled with wine/champagne, strawberries/cheese, a blanket, outdoors. Mmmmmmmmmm
Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse - and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness -
And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

Omar Khayyam, The Rubaiyat
Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse - and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness -
And Wilderness is Paradise enow.

Omar Khayyam, The Rubaiyat
Originally Posted by babee
That is a lot more romantic than I would associate with you (and your huge Bag o'Toys you've talked about hauling around on tour).

There are hidden depths to you.

Cheers,

bcg