MODS I've had it!

What is with all these banners and pop up ads that keep appearing. I have installed AdBlocker, but it hardly helps. It takes me forever to navigate from one page to another. You need to get ride of this junk or tell board members how they can opt out of getting this junk. Yes it only happens on this board.

I await your reply.
Dicky, what pop ups? (sorry cheezy poke at Windows) What browser do you use? Try FireFox or Chrome.. they have addons that are more effective in blocking pop ups.
Some 3rd party blockers work in a sinister way.... they block all pop ups NOT listed as one of their "supporters" then they allow them through. And some just do not work PERIOD
OK I've run my spyware/adblocker and virus scan. It helped a little, but I still have a problem. It really screws things up. Can't eccie block this crap at their server? If eccie allows this stuff it is not a good thing.
Dicky, what browser do you run? Internet Explorer?
What is with all these banners and pop up ads that keep appearing. I have installed AdBlocker, but it hardly helps. It takes me forever to navigate from one page to another. You need to get ride of this junk or tell board members how they can opt out of getting this junk. Yes it only happens on this board.

I await your reply. Originally Posted by DickyDoo
I am using IE8 and have free version of AVG anti virus. I am not seeing these issues at all. At times the pages load a little slow here but that is more dependent on the time of day I am on, so I am assuming a busy server at times.
I don't get pop ups on this site except the pm notification
I dont ever get anything either.
  • thx
  • 12-28-2010, 11:09 PM
Sorry, it sounds like your browser/computer has been compromised.
Just download Google Chrome and forget IE even exists on your computer. It is soooo much faster and awesome pop-up blocker built right in.

I haven't opened IE on mine in months.

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en...=en&brand=CHMI
I found out what the problem is and fixed it thanks to some help from a MOD. Everything is working fine now except. Thanks for all the help.
  • ~Ze~
  • 12-29-2010, 04:36 PM
We would like to know what the problem was... curiosity and the cat and all...
The problem was pop ups on every page. This really slowed down the computer. I have a pop control, but these things must have gotten around it. I had to do a system restore from a date prior to the problem. Next I had to download what I lost in the restore, but only things I knew were safe. All is well now.
The ads on this website make this website money. Only the ones on top.....Not the bs ones...
Jasmin: These were not ads sponsord by the website. They were here do to a virus on my computer.
Jasmin: These were not ads sponsord by the website. They were here do to a virus on my computer. Originally Posted by DickyDoo
Site ads are usually given space on the page... pop ups are a sign you may be infected. That is why I use Linux.... it handles things different.