golf rule changes 2019

Quite a few rule changes go into effect 2019, most in an effort to speed up the game:

- can now leave the flagstick in the hole when on the green
- don't have to go back to the teebox if a shot is out of bounds

But one that could be changed, and may be very popular, would be you don't have to hole out once you are inside 4 feet. That would really speed up the pace of play. And save a lot of aggravation and grumpiness.

Why should a small putt like that be worth as much as a 260 yard tee shot ? It makes as much sense as some of the entry fees posted on eccie.
4' mate? No way. I say 2'

I would like to see divot is a man -made obstacle. Pick it, drop away from the hole and hit. Never understood that rule.

Cheers
Does this extend to the PGA? Are they universal?

One could speed up the game simply by not allowing bad players on the course.
My group plays putts that if you are inside the leather, it’s good.
My group plays putts that if you are inside the leather, it’s good. Originally Posted by romroos
I've heard of some Leatherboys that like to play with putters
I think most of those are in Dallas
I'm with you on the divot thing. It could be considered "ground under repair". Only problem is the grounds crew can't go around and mark every divot.

For the putting issue, it would be easy to make a 3' chalk line around the hole. Outside of that, you have to putt. But that will never happen.
A lot of money has been made and lost from 3 feet to the hole.
I see no reason to change the game. It's not a game of speed.
Putting is the Only thing in Golf that I still have some skill, could never hit is very far but managed to keep it on the short grass 95% of the time, today I doubt I could hit it much farther than my shadow-LOL...4 feet seems too generous for a gimme putt to me but inside the leather has always been the agreed rule with the guys and dolls I play with.