Judge Rules Ban on Removing Serial Numbers Is Unconstitutional!

The Title is description enough.

https://gazette.com/news/us-world/ba...52e7c7644.html

Could tis stand up at the Supreme Court level?

Would this make about any firearm a potential “Ghost Gun” whether or not it was factory made or shop-crafted?
a ruling to make the leftist authoritarians' heads explode
Sensible decision. Lots of old guns without serial numbers. If you make law to go after modern guns, you have to go after vintage (what a word) guns as well. Your grandfather's old squirrel gun, that pistol that your great grandmother used to run off those Union soldiers trying to steal the horse, that musket used by your great, great, great grandfather at Yorktown. They're all suspect.
Vintage and antique black powder (muzzle-loader) firearms are not regulated the same way as modern cartridge loaded firearms by the BATFE.

In the past though, serial number removal from a "modern" gun has been deemed to be a crime. Such removal hampers registration and tracing efforts in criminal investigations. In recent years, the issue has become prominent with the advent of 3D printing and the availability of computer-controlled machining for the home shop. Guns made in this way that lack a serial number are referred to as "ghost guns".

The current court ruling, if allowed to stand, would de-criminalize the act of removing serial numbers from firearms.
I'm a gun guy and this one doesn't sit well with me. "Removing" the serial number, not owning a gun without a S/N. I've got a dozen guns i've made myself, from legally purchased materials and 3d printed stuff. As it sits now, i can make the gun, i can own the gun, i can not legally sell the gun. If i want to sell it, it's gotta get a S/N and go to an FFL to be recorded. No problems with any of that. But i'm of the mind, the only reason to REMOVE the s/n from a gun is to hide it's history or prevent future documentation. In this case, he's an Ex-Felon and not supposed to own it legally anyway, so he's done anyway.
In California, state law requires anyone shop crafting a firearm at home must first get an assigned S/N and apply that number to their gun.

I may have misunderstood that in some way, but I think that is the case there in Cal. Something similar may be true in a few East Coast states, but I am not sure.
In California, state law requires anyone shop crafting a firearm at home must first get an assigned S/N and apply that number to their gun.

I may have misunderstood that in some way, but I think that is the case there in Cal. Something similar may be true in a few East Coast states, but I am not sure. Originally Posted by ICU 812
That's the way i read it for Cali too, lot's of people started making their own so the state did that. It's probably going to follow for a lot of other states with as popular as it has become.
I'm a gun guy and this one doesn't sit well with me. "Removing" the serial number, not owning a gun without a S/N. I've got a dozen guns i've made myself, from legally purchased materials and 3d printed stuff. As it sits now, i can make the gun, i can own the gun, i can not legally sell the gun. If i want to sell it, it's gotta get a S/N and go to an FFL to be recorded. No problems with any of that. But i'm of the mind, the only reason to REMOVE the s/n from a gun is to hide it's history or prevent future documentation. In this case, he's an Ex-Felon and not supposed to own it legally anyway, so he's done anyway. Originally Posted by sand247
Then write the law to cover intent. If someone is building a kit gun for fun or owns a family heirloom then write so they get a pass. If someone is REMOVING serial numbers then it is highly probable that they are up to no good. Write the law with that in mind. Probably with democrats is that they see all guns as the same.