Car inspection

Does anyone know where can I take my car to get the horn fixed? Dealer is charging obscene amount of money. Without that I can't pass inspection.

Any helpful information would be appreciated. Pm would be great too.
I can't recommend a place but I would read this first before another repair shop tells you it will cost $$$$$ to fix it.

Sometimes it could be something simple as a fuse.

http://blog.lonestarcars.com/how-to-...oken-car-horn/
Take it to Astro Car Care on Harry Hines. Ask for Baldimar
Would help to know what kind of car. Anything else
not working?
  • BLM69
  • 09-07-2017, 10:41 PM
Check your fuses and horn relay, it will be one of those
It's a 2007 corolla. Horn not working and airbag sign is on in red. Dealer wants $500 for it. He's saying that spiral cable is shot, that's why both things are not working i.e. Horn and airbag sign.
I can deal without the airbag, but I need the horn to pass inspection.
Fuses are all good, haven't checked the horn relay yet. I guess I'll do that in the morning. Would it be under dashboard or in the hood where the horn fuse is?
Thanks, I'll check with them tomorrow too.
On the website of the link I posted in post #2 above, it reads if the airbag indicator light is on the dashboard, then it's a bigger fix.

Since you did say your light is on, looks like you won't have much of a choice to get a mechanic to do it.

2 years ago I got my car inspected and they wouldn't pass it because the front passenger seat, the seat belt, you know how you pull it all the way out and you let go it will retracts by itself.

Well, it didn't do that.

It costed me $600 to get the entire seat belt assembly and the sensor for it that's somewhere inside the door replaced.

I wasn't happy about it.
Take it to Astro Car Care on Harry Hines. Ask for Baldimar Originally Posted by Crzytxn
That's where I'm heading today. Thanks!
Spiral cable? Likely he means the clock spring under the steering wheel. If you have a DVOM and an extra set of hands check and see if you have power to the horn, a new horn would only be about 10-20$ at any auto parts store. But air bags are also required to pass inspection.
On the website of the link I posted in post #2 above, it reads if the airbag indicator light is on the dashboard, then it's a bigger fix.

Since you did say your light is on, looks like you won't have much of a choice to get a mechanic to do it.

2 years ago I got my car inspected and they wouldn't pass it because the front passenger seat, the seat belt, you know how you pull it all the way out and you let go it will retracts by itself.

Well, it didn't do that.

It costed me $600 to get the entire seat belt assembly and the sensor for it that's somewhere inside the door replaced.

I wasn't happy about it. Originally Posted by CG2014

You got screwed, the seatbelt retracting is not an item of inspection
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Misc/insp_qual.htm
Chapter 4 pages 35-36
Spiral cable? Likely he means the clock spring under the steering wheel. If you have a DVOM and an extra set of hands check and see if you have power to the horn, a new horn would only be about 10-20$ at any auto parts store. But air bags are also required to pass inspection. Originally Posted by milflover813
Just checked the inspection checklist and airbags is not on the list. Horn is required.
You got screwed, the seatbelt retracting is not an item of inspection
https://www.dps.texas.gov/rsd/vi/Misc/insp_qual.htm
Chapter 4 pages 35-36 Originally Posted by milflover813
I know it's not and I argued with the Inspection Station and I also took it to the DPS station in Plano, off Parker east of 75, where they will waive inspections based on age of car, price of mechanical and emission repairs, whether you are on the poverty income level, etc and they wouldn't wave it.

I feel my seat belt met all these requirements but they used the criteria g at the bottom below to fail it and argue their case.

20.23 Seat Belts. Front seat belts are required on every motor vehicle in which front seat belt anchorages were a part of the manufacturer’s original equipment on the vehicle.

Anchorages defined: A seat belt anchorage consists of a threaded hole in suitable structure to receive the seat belt attachment fittings or a circular pluck which is welded to the vehicle chassis. Self-treading bolts are inserted into the pluck to form the complete seat belt anchorage assembly.

1. Inspection Procedure. Inspect front lap seat belts for frayed, split, or torn webbing; malfunctioning buckles; and loose or damaged anchorages or floor pan. Vehicles originally equipped with automatic seat belts (shoulder belts) without front lap seat belts will have the automatic belts inspected.

Front lap belts only will be inspected in all other vehicles. The ignition seat belt interlock system is not an item of inspection.

2. Inspect for and reject if:

a. Front lap seat belts are required and not present.

b. Seat belt webbing is frayed, split, or torn.

c. Belt anchorages or attachment fittings are loose, badly corroded, missing, or not fastened to belt.

d. Belt buckles loose or inoperative.

e. All seat belt anchor bolts are not securely fastened to floor or are missing.

f. Pelvic restraint is not present.

g. Seat belt will not adjust to allow proper fit.
Just run a wire to horn with a universal horn button
mounted to dash somewhere. milflover813 is correct its the clockspring
under the steering wheel. Look around for an independent shop.
$500 is to high.