Open Carry In Texas - For or Against?

Based upon legislative voting that occurred today it appears that the the Great State of Texas is going to allow for the open carry of firearms, i.e. the visible carrying of firearms (pistols) on one's person. I'm a licensed CHL holder and carry where and when allowed, but I'm not sure about open carry...... However, it will make packing heat a LOT easier and more comfortable than having to do so concealed - I have a small fortune invested in comfy and concealable holsters. What do you all think about open carry? For it or Against it?
I don't personally believe lowering the bar is the best idea in matters of deadly force. But hey, who knows? I only own a rifle and a shotgun and neither is of the home defense / assualt variety.
I'm not sure I really care that much.

Most states already allow open carry by anyone without a permit. It doesn't seem like the states that ban it are particularly safe.

BTW, some states allow cities to ban open carry, so don't go around doing open carry if you don't know the local laws.

It seems a little strange that Texas is one of the few that don't allow open carry, even by those licensed to carry concealed.

Not sure what open carry gets you.....I prefer out of sight out of mind.....on a ranch it makes sense....
I haven't seen a real good reason not to support open carry.

The people that get freaked out by it usually are just plain ignorant about guns and should know that there are people all around them with CHLs anyway.

And if it wasn't such a big deal maybe the tards doing their cause a disservice would tone it down by not scaring the crap out of everyone at starbucks (those coffeeheads are probably already ready to trip out over something as it is lol)

And also because... texas
Ah have always rocked out wif mah cock out. But thet kinda open carry is STILL a'ginst tha law!
Pretty much everyone who will open carry are law abiding citizens. Criminals are the ones who don't care about the law and carry wether legal or illegal. It will make a few soccer moms nervous, but that's just because they have never been around guns. Perhaps it will be a deterrent to those few who plan on doing harm. I see no real issue......

Sifu
  • Noid
  • 04-18-2015, 10:47 AM
Wait till you see a soccer mom open carry. That scares me.
Fuck ya fool!!!!!
  • onei
  • 04-18-2015, 12:43 PM
I know a few soccer moms who could probably out shoot just about everyone on this board. I also know a little bitty soccer mom (I doubt she weight 100lbs. soaking wet) that happens to be LE. This gal will take you down (physically) or out (literally) faster than you know what happened to you. However, I'd love to get her soaking wet and put her on the scales, or forget the scales all together and just get her soaking wet. :-p
Most of us are probably old enough to have been taught firearm etiquette in our youth. I'm not uncomfortable around guns at all, but I suspect more and more adults don't have the same experiences we have. I mean, I walked places when I was 8 years old and no one called CPS. I don't mind open carry, but would like to see some education go with it. In the end there will always be a few idiots that fuck it up though. Too many people confuse defending their point of view with defending their lives.
I have no problem with open carry. I probably keep mine concealed. The element of surprise can be an advantage in a tight situation.
Based upon legislative voting that occurred today it appears that the the Great State of Texas is going to allow for the open carry of firearms, i.e. the visible carrying of firearms (pistols) on one's person. I'm a licensed CHL holder and carry where and when allowed, but I'm not sure about open carry...... However, it will make packing heat a LOT easier and more comfortable than having to do so concealed - I have a small fortune invested in comfy and concealable holsters. What do you all think about open carry? For it or Against it? Originally Posted by PlainVanillaATX
For a fat guy like me, it's a challenge to find a comfortable concealable holster. I am glad that won't be an issue much longer.

I do hope the penalties are very severe for those who open carry but don't carry a license. I don't think the general public has anything to worry about. The criminals are already armed. This just evens things up a little for the good guys and gals.

sixx
Being a non-gun owner, I have no problem with the law. Texas is one of a few states that has not passed an open carry law. With that said, I do NOT want to see anyone openly carrying a handgun, just as I currently do NOT want to see anyone openly carrying a rifle, which is allowed in Texas. Do I think that open carry will increase (or decrease) crime? No. I just find something wrong with a person walking down the street with a handgun showing on his/her hip.

FWIW, I took a road trip late last year and another in March of this year, traveling through maybe 15-20 states, most of which allow open carry. Did not see one person practicing open carry.

BTW, it should be noted that one Texas representative tried to get "Constitutional Open Carry" passed, which would allow ANY person (above a certain age I assume) to openly carry a handgun -- no CHL required. Didn't get anywhere thankfully.

I'm very interested to see what happens to the proposal to force public colleges in the state of Texas to allow concealed handguns (with a CHL) in classrooms and dormitories.
Luckily, the law and constitution aren't the mathematical union of things that "people don't want to see" or there'd be little left that we can do. Actually, that is the way things are headed...