AUTOMOTIVE Technical

I felt if I put this in the Sandbox, it might not get the kind of response I want....so even though it's not computer technical, it IS technical.

If some folks can help or give their opinions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
I've been pondering another car. But the engine choices are confusing me.

Does anyone know what kind of motors these are and which is better (esp. if comparing the two 4 cylinders side by side...I can't tell which is better....a DOHC or PZEV.

2.4-Liter I4 DOHC 16-Valve Dual VVT Engine (2.4-liter 4 cylinder Dual Overhead Cam 16-valve dual Variable Valve Timing engine produces 173 horsepower and 166 lb-ft torque.)

2.4-Liter I4 PZEV 16-Valve Dual VVT Engine (2.4-liter 4 cylinder Dual Overhead Cam 16-valve dual Variable Valve Timing engine produces 173 horsepower and 166 lb-ft torque. for california and northeast state emissions. Includes an 18.5 gal. tank)

3.6-Liter V6 VVT Pentastar Engine (3.6-liter V6 Variable Valve Timing Pentastar engine produces 283 horsepower at 6,400 prm and 260 lb-ft. of torque at 4,400 rpm. Includes: 160-Amp Alternator, Dual Bright Exhaust Tips, Dual Rear Exhaust, and Engine Oil Cooler.) This engine is an $1800.00 extra cost if I chose a car with this.

And the difference between a:

4-Speed Automatic VLP Transmission

and a

6-Speed Automatic Transmission

What's the VLP and are 6 speeds better than 4? I mean currently I think I have 6 speeds on my car but I never use 1st and 2nd....always overdrive.

Tia
A six speed automatic should deliver better fuel mileage and smoother shifts.

What kind of car/SUV? What is it use for basic transportation or going off-road or pulling a trailer?
I don't want to get into kind of car but it would be basic transportation and probably a full size sedan.
DOHC = Dual Over Head Camshafts
All three motors have them.

PZEV = Partial Zero Emmission Vehicle (marketing swill)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Partial...ssions_vehicle

Notice that the performance numbers are identical below for the 4 cykinder motors. The 4 cylinder might be more fuel efficient too especially as gas is not going down in price anytime soon.

PM me for more help.

I can't tell which is better....a DOHC or PZEV.

2.4-Liter I4 DOHC 16-Valve Dual VVT Engine (2.4-liter 4 cylinder Dual Overhead Cam 16-valve dual Variable Valve Timing engine produces 173 horsepower and 166 lb-ft torque.)

2.4-Liter I4 PZEV 16-Valve Dual VVT Engine (2.4-liter 4 cylinder Dual Overhead Cam 16-valve dual Variable Valve Timing engine produces 173 horsepower and 166 lb-ft torque. for california and northeast state emissions. Includes an 18.5 gal. tank)

3.6-Liter V6 VVT Pentastar Engine (3.6-liter V6 Variable Valve Timing Pentastar engine produces 283 horsepower at 6,400 prm and 260 lb-ft. of torque at 4,400 rpm. Includes: 160-Amp Alternator, Dual Bright Exhaust Tips, Dual Rear Exhaust, and Engine Oil Cooler.) This engine is an $1800.00 extra cost if I chose a car with this.

Tia Originally Posted by tia travels
Is your goal to achieve performance or fuel economy?
My goal is comfort and probably more performance than fuel, but I guess the answer for performance would mean bigger engine, but we all know that bigger doesn't always equate to better. LOL
My goal is comfort and probably more performance than fuel, but I guess the answer for performance would mean bigger engine, but we all know that bigger doesn't always equate to better. LOL Originally Posted by tia travels
Four cylinder turbo charged for your car and your men.
I heard TURBO engines are problematic and/or expensive to fix.
Turbos have become very reliable. yes you do have to be careful as you would any car. You don't want to (as they say in horse riding) ride hard and put away wet.
Even BMW has adopted turbo charging for all their six cylinder motors. It meets emissions and good power.
if you are talking Honda - i have had 4 Accords - all 4 cylinder. unless you are going to register the car in Cali and live there - don;t get a Cali car. you can drive in and out all you want. Cali cars are slightly detuned and have extra "stuff" ... u don;t need.

Camry - get the 6 cylinder. have had 2, 4 cyl sucked. 6 cyl is nice and still pretty economical considering. i think 6 cyl in Accord is a little overkill. i have driven 4 cyl Accords over 100 mph on occasion - and keep them until they die, usually over 200K miles with regular maintenance. nothing breaks usually. had one transmission fail at 190K. one. good luck.
rodger is correct, Honda is the way to go if you go foreign. If buying new the Mazda 6 (4cyn) is a great choice as well. They drive very well and are dependable in the 4 cyl.
Can't go wrong with a Honda Accord 4 cyl. or the Camry 6 cyl.
To be honest both Honda and Toyota have great engineering. You'll only get 250,000 out of one of their cars.