A fishy pedicure or manicure? I want one!

Several months ago, I learned about this from a friend who is in Asia a lot. She tells me that this is offered all over the place.

I believe that in a lot of states, this is illegal. It is in Texas. But there are salons in other countries, and in some states in the US, that offer nail grooming that includes putting your feet in a container filled with little fish that nipple off the dead skin and leave your toesies nice, soft and clean.

Here's one place (be advised that it has music when you click on the website) that explains it nicely: http://www.aquasheko.co.uk/main.html

I found one in Virginia and they're all over Asia.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this? The process is also supposedly successful for treating skin conditions as well.

Elisabeth
Several months ago, I learned about this from a friend who is in Asia a lot. She tells me that this is offered all over the place.

I believe that in a lot of states, this is illegal. It is in Texas. But there are salons in other countries, and in some states in the US, that offer nail grooming that includes putting your feet in a container filled with little fish that nipple off the dead skin and leave your toesies nice, soft and clean.

Here's one place (be advised that it has music when you click on the website) that explains it nicely: http://www.aquasheko.co.uk/main.html

I found one in Virginia and they're all over Asia.

Thoughts? Has anyone tried this? The process is also supposedly successful for treating skin conditions as well.

Elisabeth Originally Posted by ElisabethWhispers
I am wondering why it is illegal in some places. Is it due to the fact that the container and water cannot be cleaned to prevent foot fungus or other contractible skin diseases? So many people putting their feet in the same water, regardless of the fish, the harboring of bacteria and other things in the water would have me think twice.
Yea, I saw that on an episode of "Weeds" last year and wanted to get one ever since!
Very popular in England Elisabeth. I have lots of friends who have tried the pedicure. They say the sensation for the first 60 seconds or so is very odd (having fishes swimming around your feet and through your toes) but you quickly get used to it....and that it's actually relaxing after that and the results are pretty amazing. Not sure how I feel...I mean what about human-fish-human contamination. A fish eats the skin off the feet of someone with...I dunno..something nasty and contagious and then nibbles on my feet? Yikes!

C
...Not sure how I feel...I mean what about human-fish-human contamination. A fish eats the skin off the feet of someone with...I dunno..something nasty and contagious and then nibbles on my feet? Yikes!

C Originally Posted by Camille
Where is your sense of adventure, Camille? Smile. I would try it in a heart beat and well, I just wouldn't think about the other. (Gosh, can't believe I just sent you a winkie kiss smilie. But I meant it!)

There are some articles about the "whys" of it not being legal in most states and the previous poster is right. It all has to do with regulations and well, cleanliness.

I'll try to find a link to one of those articles in a bit.

Best,
Elisabeth
Yea, I saw that on an episode of "Weeds" last year and wanted to get one ever since! Originally Posted by Valerie
I love that show! So it must be legal in California?
Where is your sense of adventure, Camille? Smile. I would try it in a heart beat and well, I just wouldn't think about the other. (Gosh, can't believe I just sent you a winkie kiss smilie. But I meant it!)

There are some articles about the "whys" of it not being legal in most states and the previous poster is right. It all has to do with regulations and well, cleanliness.

I'll try to find a link to one of those articles in a bit.

Best,
Hahaha...yes I'm becoming a right wuss as I get older Elisabeth lol.
If you find one and go..make sure you come back and share your thoughts.

C xx
I did the fish pedicure in Orlando, Florida. They imported the fish from Brazil.

It tickles.

The fish eat the dead skin off your feet. Apparently their mouths have an enzyme of some sort that helps dissolve the skin. And yes it's supposedly good for skin problems. The people of the region noticed this when they were swimming/bathing in the waters, people with skin issues seemed to improve.L after tue fishes nibbled on them.
Lauren,

How did your feet look and feel after the whole process? By the way, I hate to be tickled. Hopefully, it would feel odd for awhile and the tickling would go away.

Hugs,
me
They looked great. However, no different then a really good traditional pedicure. Not having any skin conditions I might not be able to appreciate the full impact of those little fish.
I saw a news piece on this about a year or two ago. Maybe it's illegal in some places because they want to do more research on it? BY the way, if you have thick dead skin on your feet, you should try the Ped-egg. I love it.
I'm not generally a spa person (strangers approaching me with various psuedo medical equipment and chemicals that they usually know little about? No thanks), but I did have the fish pedicure done last year when I was overseas and enjoyed it. However, back on this side of the pond I find that this procedure is illegal in my state of residence. I can buy a gun at Walmart, yet I can't have a fish suck my toes?

The reasons given by the board of health is that bacterial and fungal growth in the tank would be hard to monitor, and could potentially lead to the spread of various infections. Plus, the fish that perform the procedure are babies - the adults have teeth. If the spa manager is lax in continually checking the maturity of her fry, you could end up getting chewed on by one that's entered the teething stage... of course leading to trace amounts of blood in the tank, which would be a risk taken by everyone who signs up for the procedure after you.

I still think that there could be other things done besides banning the procedure entirely, but the state is lazy.

~Mme X~
little fish that nipple off the dead skin and leave your toesies nice, soft and clean.
"Nipple" off the skin ..... Freudian Slip, Elisabeth?

I'd like to nibble some nipples perhaps. Any of you ladies need that?
  • ~Ze~
  • 04-21-2011, 01:30 PM
It has been used for centuries in Turkish bath houses as a way to improve/cure psoriasis. At least from the grapevine... I have done no research to prove it myself.. sounds plausible.
I'd give it a whirl, but I'm magically in love with my pedicures. I get the really old fashioned kind of pedicure - my lady uses a razor and a pumas. I think for sure the razor is illegal in Texas, but I guess I'm grandfathered by the lady that does my toes.